Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-03-2023, 03:40 AM   #1
Ruskie_it
Fanatic
Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5, Kindle PW4, Kindle 4 NT
Downgrading firmware

Thanks to the LanguageBreak I'm finally going to jb my new kindle...
The problem is, I liked the old user interface I had on my older one way better.

Correct me if I am wrong, though: it is a serious brick risk to install a firmware of a release older than the first one ever released for a specific device, right?

That is, if my kindle was initially sold to the public with fw 5.14.3, it is risky to put 5.12.1 on it, right?

Shall it brick, it is not guaranteed at all that it could be unbricked without tearing it apart, is that correct?
Ruskie_it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2023, 04:35 AM   #2
Marek
Zealot
Marek shapes the world with his or her thoughts.Marek shapes the world with his or her thoughts.Marek shapes the world with his or her thoughts.Marek shapes the world with his or her thoughts.Marek shapes the world with his or her thoughts.Marek shapes the world with his or her thoughts.Marek shapes the world with his or her thoughts.Marek shapes the world with his or her thoughts.Marek shapes the world with his or her thoughts.Marek shapes the world with his or her thoughts.Marek shapes the world with his or her thoughts.

Device: PW4 :(, KT5, PB628
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruskie_it View Post
Thanks to the LanguageBreak I'm finally going to jb my new kindle...
The problem is, I liked the old user interface I had on my older one way better.

Correct me if I am wrong, though: it is a serious brick risk to install a firmware of a release older than the first one ever released for a specific device, right?

That is, if my kindle was initially sold to the public with fw 5.14.3, it is risky to put 5.12.1 on it, right?

Shall it brick, it is not guaranteed at all that it could be unbricked without tearing it apart, is that correct?
the lowest FW version (that i can grab from Amazon) for the PW5 is 5.14.1.1.
You can't (well should) run FW from other kindles.
So no don't downgrade to 5.12.1
Marek is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-03-2023, 05:22 AM   #3
Ruskie_it
Fanatic
Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marek View Post
the lowest FW version (that i can grab from Amazon) for the PW5 is 5.14.1.1.
You can't (well should) run FW from other kindles.
So no don't downgrade to 5.12.1
Yeah, thanks, the versions were just examples, but you confirmed what I was recalling... Unfortunately the fw version I would like is too old, and the only one I'd be considering to upgrade mine to is 5.16.3.1 which is past the jb possible with LanguageBreak, so I guess I'll stay with what I've got.

Thanks!
Old 11-03-2023, 06:39 PM   #4
shamanNS
Guru
shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle PW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruskie_it View Post
that it could be unbricked without tearing it apart, is that correct?
Unless you have the tools to remove eMMC chip there isn't any point in opening a Kindle PW5 (which is actually super easy to do, easiest it has been since Kindle 3 aka Kindle Keyboard).

I would know, since I now have 2 bricked PW5:

shamanNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2023, 06:44 PM   #5
Ruskie_it
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanNS View Post
Unless you have the tools to remove eMMC chip there isn't any point in opening a Kindle PW5 (which is actually super easy to do, easiest it has been since Kindle 3 aka Kindle Keyboard).

I would know, since I now have 2 bricked PW5:

Whoa!
No no, I was just shooting in the dark, more or less. I had this reminescence of reading some posts, years ago, mentioning opening the kindle to try to unbrick it... But my memory could fail.

I wouldn't have liked to try even if it was possible though... For as easy as it could be, it would still be to hard for an untrained person, expecially if the intention is not to leavy any mark.
Advert
Old 11-03-2023, 08:01 PM   #6
shamanNS
Guru
shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle PW1
That was possible on older, previous generation Kindle models that at least had serial port connection point as the last resort when doing debricks or doing jailbreaks.

PW5 doesn't have that and it is locked down.
shamanNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2023, 02:19 AM   #7
Ruskie_it
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanNS View Post
That was possible on older, previous generation Kindle models that at least had serial port connection point as the last resort when doing debricks or doing jailbreaks.

PW5 doesn't have that and it is locked down.
Thanks, good to know...
So now, it PW5 bricks, it is gone for good?