Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 09-08-2019, 12:37 PM   #1
Like_to_read
Like_to_read began at the beginning.

Device: None
Kindle App on new Glowlight plus

Has anyone been able to sideload the Kindle app on the new Glowlight plus without rooting?

If so, how well does the Kindle app work?

Thanks
Like_to_read is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 04:07 PM   #2
Like_to_read

Would be great if someone could post their experience with sideloading Kindle or rooting the new Glowlight plus

Thanks
Advert
Old 09-12-2019, 05:46 PM   #3
Tony1988
Guru
Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Like_to_read View Post
Would be great if someone could post their experience with sideloading Kindle or rooting the new Glowlight plus

Thanks
I'm guessing no one has done it. Though to get much info on an otherwise great ereader when there are not as many owners of it.
Tony1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 05:53 PM   #4
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
I doubt that using the Kindle app on an eink reader would be very enjoyable experience. So no, haven't tried it.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 06:32 AM   #5
cgsmom
Addict
cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook GL4+, Nook GL4e, Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle PW4, iPhone 14
I rooted my Nook color just to see what it was like. I hated it. The version of Android was so old that the Kindle app was terrible. It is much better to just convert Kindle books to epub and use the stock reader IMHO.
cgsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-14-2019, 12:18 PM   #6
Like_to_read

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgsmom View Post
I rooted my Nook color just to see what it was like. I hated it. The version of Android was so old that the Kindle app was terrible. It is much better to just convert Kindle books to epub and use the stock reader IMHO.
Thanks for the info

Was the Kindle app terrible because it had ghosting problems or because it was an earlier version of the app with limited functionality?

I would be happy if the Kindle app works with even 1 font type as long as the pages turn smoothly without blanking or ghosting.
Old 09-15-2019, 07:02 AM   #7
cgsmom
Addict
cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook GL4+, Nook GL4e, Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle PW4, iPhone 14
Quote:
Was the Kindle app terrible because it had ghosting problems or because it was an earlier version of the app with limited functionality?
It has been a while and the Nook Color that I did this on has since died. But I think the Kindle app was so old that it only had one font. You could only change size. You couldn't change line spacing or margins. There was no ghosting but remember, this was a Nook Color tablet, not an ereader so I am not sure how that would work.
cgsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 02:31 PM   #8
Like_to_read

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgsmom View Post
It has been a while and the Nook Color that I did this on has since died. But I think the Kindle app was so old that it only had one font. You could only change size. You couldn't change line spacing or margins. There was no ghosting but remember, this was a Nook Color tablet, not an ereader so I am not sure how that would work.
I missed that. Thanks for posting about you take with the Nook color.

Has anyone else installed the Kindle app on the Nook B&W ereader?
Old 09-16-2019, 12:20 AM   #9
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
I did it way back on the first Nook to have a glow light but I imagine the core issues would remain

The kindle app is designed to run on a tablet not an eink screen so the vast majority of the experience has a lot of redrawing and some ghosting. Now some of this might have improved with new hardware but you’re still using an app designed for an entirely different screen. I believe the kindle app draws the white background (it certainly draws any other color background) which is going to have issues on eink, mostly with refreshing.

The less pressing issue is finding a version of the kindle apk which will run on the version of android the Nook you have uses. I’ve given up on Nook some years back when kobo introduced the Aura H2O and haven’t kept track of what version they’v using however I doubt it’s anything too recent.

Really though unless you’re absolutely head over heels in love with a feature which an older version of the app would support for side loaded books and isn’t available to the Nook via rooting the best option is to just remove the DRM of Amazon books and convert them.

It’s just not going to be a good experience.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 01:31 PM   #10
Like_to_read

That's very helpful info - thanks

I really like the Glowlight Plus because of the size.

How easy is to export an Amazon book with the highlights and notes to Nook? I see that there is a way to convert using caliber but does that also back up the highlights and notes?

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlitch View Post
I did it way back on the first Nook to have a glow light but I imagine the core issues would remain

The kindle app is designed to run on a tablet not an eink screen so the vast majority of the experience has a lot of redrawing and some ghosting. Now some of this might have improved with new hardware but you’re still using an app designed for an entirely different screen. I believe the kindle app draws the white background (it certainly draws any other color background) which is going to have issues on eink, mostly with refreshing.

The less pressing issue is finding a version of the kindle apk which will run on the version of android the Nook you have uses. I’ve given up on Nook some years back when kobo introduced the Aura H2O and haven’t kept track of what version they’v using however I doubt it’s anything too recent.

Really though unless you’re absolutely head over heels in love with a feature which an older version of the app would support for side loaded books and isn’t available to the Nook via rooting the best option is to just remove the DRM of Amazon books and convert them.

It’s just not going to be a good experience.
Old 09-19-2019, 01:52 PM   #11
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:

How easy is to export an Amazon book with the highlights and notes to Nook? I see that there is a way to convert using caliber but does that also back up the highlights and notes?

Thanks
To export the book is pretty easy, but not with the highlights and notes. Those will be lost.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote