Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 06-03-2020, 07:14 PM   #1
Cougar281
Cougar281 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-T1
AZW3 to EPUB Conversion issue

I usually purchase books from Books A Million, but every now and then, I'll purchase books from Amazon, usually because I can't find it elsewhere. I've purchased a few books in the past from Amazon and had no issue getting them converted to EPUB so that they would work on my Sony PRS-T1, but I have one right now, Seveneves, that I haven't been able to get to convert right.

When viewed using the Calibre reader, all three formats (AZW3, EPUB and PDF) look fine. But when uploaded to my reader, the EPUB stops at page 4 (which seems to be the end of the Table of Contents) and won't advance further. If I use the 'Navigate Page' feature and navigate to page 5, I get a blank page that has 'Page 2-13 of 712' at the bottom. Going straight to pages 6-13 give the exact same blank page, but navigating to page 14 brings me to the page that should be right after the TOC. The PDF seemed ok at first, but I fairly quickly found some gaps that I determined were quite a bit of missing text buy comparing it with the same copy in the Calibre reader.

Does anyone have any thoughts on why this particular book seems to be giving me trouble, and maybe a way to get it to convert properly?
Cougar281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 09:38 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Try converting it to TXT and reading that.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-13-2021, 10:25 PM   #3
Cougar281

Bringing this back up - while converting to TXT 'worked', it was all kinds of messed up, with the text being huge and spaced 'oddly', and the page count more than doubled. I discovered that with the epub, once I navigated directly to page 14, I was able to read the while book as an epub without further issue. But if at all possible, I'd really like to get it converted such that the epub is 'perfect', so if I choose to read it again at some point, it 'just works' like all of my other books. I just tried again using 5.23.0 and, interestingly, while the output size was different (1,057K for the older one and 1,044K for the new one), I got the same issue. Is there something I could send you like debug output that might help determine why this particular book is having issues converting to epub?

Last edited by Cougar281; 07-13-2021 at 10:29 PM.
Old 07-13-2021, 10:27 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
This is an issue with your epub reader, you should send its developers your epub file and ask them to fix their reader.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 03:35 AM   #5
rantanplan
Weirdo
rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Tolino Shine Color, Tolino Vision 6, Kobo Clara 2E, Boox Note Air 2+
Modern azw files contain the original epub file it was based on. So instead of converting the file, you can try to use https://github.com/kevinhendricks/KindleUnpack to simply get the original file.
rantanplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-14-2021, 07:07 AM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougar281 View Post
I usually purchase books from Books A Million, but every now and then, I'll purchase books from Amazon, usually because I can't find it elsewhere. I've purchased a few books in the past from Amazon and had no issue getting them converted to EPUB so that they would work on my Sony PRS-T1, but I have one right now, Seveneves, that I haven't been able to get to convert right.

When viewed using the Calibre reader, all three formats (AZW3, EPUB and PDF) look fine. But when uploaded to my reader, the EPUB stops at page 4 (which seems to be the end of the Table of Contents) and won't advance further. If I use the 'Navigate Page' feature and navigate to page 5, I get a blank page that has 'Page 2-13 of 712' at the bottom. Going straight to pages 6-13 give the exact same blank page, but navigating to page 14 brings me to the page that should be right after the TOC. The PDF seemed ok at first, but I fairly quickly found some gaps that I determined were quite a bit of missing text buy comparing it with the same copy in the Calibre reader.

Does anyone have any thoughts on why this particular book seems to be giving me trouble, and maybe a way to get it to convert properly?
I know what your problem is. The problem is that your ePub has errors. You have to go into the Calibre editor and fix the errors. RMSDK (reading software on the T1) is encountering the errors and not displaying your ePub correctly. You will need to install the epubcheck plugin and using both the Calibre editor's error checker and epubcheck, you have to get both to say there are no errors.

If you don't know HTML/CSS, now's a good time to learn.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 02:05 AM   #7
deback
Book E d i t o r
deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Laptop
I would open the ePub file in the Calibre editor and click on the Beautify Files button. This might fix the problem (or it might not, but it's worth trying). Also, click on the Check Files button to see if Calibre finds any errors. If it does, click over on the right to automatically fix all errors found.
deback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 03:19 PM   #8
Cougar281

Thanks JSWolf and deback. I'll give that a shot.

kovidgoyal, as JSWolf and deback suggested, it's not the reader - it's the book. However, how the reader is handling it is another matter. On my PRS-T1, it gets to a point and simply won't go any further unless I manually advance to a specific 'working' page. On my older PRS-600, the same issue is present with the book, but rather than halt at the damage, it pushes through and ends up advancing to the first usable page. The same happens with the Kobo Clara HD I just bought.
Old 07-16-2021, 05:46 PM   #9
Cougar281

I installed epubcheck and after a bunch of poking around to figure out how to run it, it didn't seem to do anything. When I went to 'Edit' the book, then 'plugins', followed by 'Run epubcheck', it seemed to indicate that it was running. But nothing after that.

So I looked at the files. As I'm sure you're aware, there are basically a bunch of HTML files inside an epub. Looking at what was in this file, there was a 'part0002_split_000.html' and a 'part0002_split_001.html'. The 'part0002_split_000.html' seemed to be the proper and complete TOC when viewed in the 'file preview', but the 'part0002_split_001.html', viewed in the 'file preview', was blank. The next file, 'part0003.html', was the beginning of the book. So on a 'whim', I deleted 'part0002_split_001.html' and saved the book, then sent it to my PRS-T1, since that's the one that REALLY didn't like the error. Works perfect now (or at least seems to).
Old 07-16-2021, 06:01 PM   #10
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
@cougar281: Did you see a window similar to the one on the left side of the attached image (I keep epubcheck docked with file preview and live CSS, your location will vary.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	calibre_editor.png
Views:	124
Size:	130.3 KB
ID:	188222  
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 06:11 PM   #11
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Interesting. A duplicated message.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 06:21 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@Cougar281, to run the epubcheck plugin, you need to have Javascript installed. Install the 64-bit version if running a 64-bit OS.
Old 07-16-2021, 10:00 PM   #13
Cougar281

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
@cougar281: Did you see a window similar to the one on the left side of the attached image (I keep epubcheck docked with file preview and live CSS, your location will vary.
I'm not exactly sure what you're referring to, but if you mean the file browser/test and all of the html/xhtml pages below it, yes. But I did not get the 'Check Book' window above it or the 'EpubCheck' Window to the right.

I do have Java 8 update 221, both 32-bit and 64-bit installed on my machine.

I think I resolved the issue with my epub by deleting the 'part0002_split_001.html' file from it, but for grins, I installed just the latest version of java on a VM with Calibre and installed the plugin, and it worked - so either having both the 32-bit and 64-bit versions of java confused things, or the ABSOLUTE latest version is required (Java sucks so bad.... I cringe any time it's required). Whatever the case, it seems there are a 'few' errors. From skimming it, it seems pretty much the entirety of 'part0002_split_001.html' is one big error. But the list is pretty long... So I clicked 'tools' > 'Fix HTML - All Files' and saved the file, but no change on the device. Maybe I just didn't do it right, but as just removing the 'part0002_split_001.html' seems to have fixed it, might just stick with the version where I deleted the 'part0002_split_001.html' file... Oddly, out of all the epub books I have, mostly native epubs but some converted from other formats, this is the ONLY one I've had any issue with.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture2.JPG
Views:	108
Size:	381.6 KB
ID:	188228  

Last edited by Cougar281; 07-16-2021 at 10:03 PM.
Old 07-17-2021, 05:18 AM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougar281 View Post
I'm not exactly sure what you're referring to, but if you mean the file browser/test and all of the html/xhtml pages below it, yes. But I did not get the 'Check Book' window above it or the 'EpubCheck' Window to the right.

I do have Java 8 update 221, both 32-bit and 64-bit installed on my machine.

I think I resolved the issue with my epub by deleting the 'part0002_split_001.html' file from it, but for grins, I installed just the latest version of java on a VM with Calibre and installed the plugin, and it worked - so either having both the 32-bit and 64-bit versions of java confused things, or the ABSOLUTE latest version is required (Java sucks so bad.... I cringe any time it's required). Whatever the case, it seems there are a 'few' errors. From skimming it, it seems pretty much the entirety of 'part0002_split_001.html' is one big error. But the list is pretty long... So I clicked 'tools' > 'Fix HTML - All Files' and saved the file, but no change on the device. Maybe I just didn't do it right, but as just removing the 'part0002_split_001.html' seems to have fixed it, might just stick with the version where I deleted the 'part0002_split_001.html' file... Oddly, out of all the epub books I have, mostly native epubs but some converted from other formats, this is the ONLY one I've had any issue with.
If I am not mistaken, having the latest Java is what did it. But you really should dump the 32-bit version and install the latest version in your non-VM environment.