Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 05-09-2024, 11:13 AM   #1
sunkashi
sunkashi began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox Note Air 3
Manage two different types of documents

I'm trying to optimize workflow of managing database of two different documents. Ebooks (text) and sheet music (pdf's).

I also want to send them into device in different folders based on type.
- device/documents/literature/<author>/ for ebooks
- device/documents/sheet music/<author>/ for sheet music

Should I use virtual libraries or different libraries? What do you recommend to most efficient management? I have more sheet music than ebooks. Thanks.
sunkashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2024, 03:14 PM   #2
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
You can send to device location based on document type in the Calibre Device settings when it's connected, and that is used in future.

There is also "templates" as an alternate way.

So you only need one calibre library.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2024, 03:57 PM   #3
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
One friend of mine using calibre for his ebooks, music and videos. He uses a separate library for each since he uses multiple custom columns for metadata that is not transferable between the 3 media types ( examples would be audio bitrate/fixed/variable, video resolution, playing time, page count, word count ). He could do this in a single library but prefers the individual libraries.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2024, 04:10 PM   #4
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Custom column. I'd suggest it be enumerated (text with a fixed set of permitted values). After updating it for all your books, you can use it in VL searches and your save template.

This is from my library:
Click image for larger version

Name:	2024-05-09 17_12_02-calibre.png
Views:	20
Size:	7.6 KB
ID:	208163

Last edited by ownedbycats; 05-09-2024 at 04:15 PM.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2024, 05:09 PM   #5
sunkashi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
You can send to device location based on document type in the Calibre Device settings...
Problem is that type of document not always match with definition of ebook or sheet music. Sheet music is always PDF while ebooks are mostly epub, but can be PDF as well.

I was not able to find option to send to device documents based on tag, so I guess making two separate libraries is more suitable for me? But wait a minute... Setting of sending files to device is same for every libraries, right?

Is it possible to send files to device folders based on tags?
Old 05-09-2024, 05:25 PM   #6
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Would not recommend it based on tags; taglike columns can have multiple entries, which may cause issues especially if the path length goes too long.

But if you do it anyways, you'll want something like:

documents/{tags}/{author_sort:sublist(0,1,&)}/{title}

As I mentioned before, I'd more suggest a custom column. Then you can put #booktype (or whatever you put as the lookup name) in place of 'tags.'

You can change the send-to-path device in Preferences > Sending books to device. If you use a Kobo, you'll want to change it in the KoboTouch(Extended) driver settings, which is available through Plugins.

Last edited by ownedbycats; 05-09-2024 at 05:35 PM.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2024, 06:20 PM   #7
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
One friend of mine using calibre for his ebooks, music and videos. He uses a separate library for each since he uses multiple custom columns for metadata that is not transferable between the 3 media types ( examples would be audio bitrate/fixed/variable, video resolution, playing time, page count, word count ). He could do this in a single library but prefers the individual libraries.
I do the same as your friend, for the same reason, differing custom column requirements.

When virtual libraries were implemented, I tried creating a single library to cater for my three main libraries (Books, Periodicals, Media). However, as well has having to pussy foot around irrelevant columns I also had to create extra columns - e.g. Periodicals, Media have hierarchical Tags, Books has flat Tags. So, a single library didn't work for me.

I'm also OCD regarding the use of data items for different purposes dependent on implied context. Someone has a phrase for it - maybe Djistra or Wirth.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2024, 04:09 AM   #8
sunkashi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
As I mentioned before, I'd more suggest a custom column. Then you can put #booktype (or whatever you put as the lookup name) in place of 'tags.'
Thanks for tip, I understand now. Looks like more elegant way of managing different types of documents.

I use Onyx Boox and I cannot find option to send files to different folders in device based on anything else than file type.
Old 05-10-2024, 04:32 AM   #9
sunkashi

I'm still not sure, if there are any benefits of using same library for all kind of documents (ebooks, sheet music).
Old 05-10-2024, 07:18 AM   #10
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunkashi View Post
I'm still not sure, if there are any benefits of using same library for all kind of documents (ebooks, sheet music).
Yes there is. One is you don't need to remember the document type when searching, or you can explicitly search only one kind of document.

A custom column is the solution if you have different document types in the same format.

I also have an "owner" custom column, which is set to pd if anyone can own it.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2024, 08:17 AM   #11
sunkashi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Yes there is. One is you don't need to remember the document type when searching, or you can explicitly search only one kind of document.

A custom column is the solution if you have different document types in the same format.

I also have an "owner" custom column, which is set to pd if anyone can own it.
But there is none benefit of using same database of names, tags, authors, etc. It's like having podcasts and music in one library.

But having one library remove one step for management - switching here and there.

Tags
library, manage, sheet music