Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 11-08-2011, 09:35 PM   #61
Kralik
Guru
Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rooted NST
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
So I wasn't crazy after all (at least not in that particular way). Now it also reflows on #1, not that it is good for anything. I don't remember now if the other non-reflow notch was good for anything either, but at any rate things are not improved.
Thanks for mentioning this! I didn't know it was possible to turn off reflow. I have several PDFs that I don't want to reflow and was using ezPDF to display them. The native nook software is MUCH faster, and I'm switching back to it despite having bought ezPDF.
Kralik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 02:36 AM   #62
Timur
Connoisseur
Timur can name that ebook in five wordsTimur can name that ebook in five wordsTimur can name that ebook in five wordsTimur can name that ebook in five wordsTimur can name that ebook in five wordsTimur can name that ebook in five wordsTimur can name that ebook in five wordsTimur can name that ebook in five wordsTimur can name that ebook in five wordsTimur can name that ebook in five wordsTimur can name that ebook in five words

Device: EBW1150, Nook STR
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Well, the update has fixed most of what I had issues with:
- TOC displaying only top level
- inability to select hyphenated words
- lackluster fonts (this latter didn't bother me much, but in retrospect, it should have)
- performance is much better (again, I thought it was okay before, but apparently I was wrong about that)

I still can not select hyphenated words with 1.1.
Timur is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-09-2011, 04:27 AM   #63
edzard
edzard began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Conflict with root?

Hi,

I rooted my str using touchnooter, and I was wondering if this would give any problems with the update. Did anyone else with a rooted touch update, and does it keep working?
edzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 08:36 AM   #64
Kralik
Guru
Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by edzard View Post
Hi,

I rooted my str using touchnooter, and I was wondering if this would give any problems with the update. Did anyone else with a rooted touch update, and does it keep working?
Not yet. Best to wait until things are sorted out. There have been several new pages of discussion in the XDA thread here:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1132693

Quote:
This will officially not work for 1.1 as of 11-8-11 8:00AM PST
Further information will be posted as they become available.

Things needed for TouchNooter 1.11.x:
framework.jar from v1.1
Someone to modify framework.jar for 1.1
uRamdisk for 1.1 - Already obtained
Updated version of NookColor Tools - Source
Add for Location Enable/Disable
Old 11-09-2011, 09:09 AM   #65
dbeman
Enthusiast
dbeman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dbeman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dbeman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dbeman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dbeman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dbeman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dbeman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dbeman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dbeman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dbeman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dbeman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: nook ST
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimm View Post
Honestly the update is described on the download page. It tells you what you're getting with it.
It does, but the phrase "Ongoing enhancements and other performance improvements" is a bit on the vague side and thus open to interpretation.
dbeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-09-2011, 01:18 PM   #66
TJay
TJay began at the beginning.

Device: NST
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kralik View Post
Not yet. Best to wait until things are sorted out. There have been several new pages of discussion in the XDA thread here:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1132693
Kralik:

I'm curious. So what if you have a rooted Nook Touch (TouchNooter 1.6.24) and you leave wi-fi on? Will the update still download and then force the Nook to be updated, thus mucking up the entire unit?

That's MY personal fear right now. I don't want to ruin my perfectly rooted NST with all of its android apps.
TJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 02:21 PM   #67
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
I notice that the Home page now has 'recommendations based on your purchase..' instead of just more or less random picks.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 02:31 PM   #68
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timur View Post
I still can not select hyphenated words with 1.1.
It does work with some of them. Very odd. Maybe nothing has changed and I just wasn't 'lucky' enough before to discover ones that worked before. Okay, so that still has problems.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 03:52 PM   #69
Kralik
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJay View Post
Kralik:

I'm curious. So what if you have a rooted Nook Touch (TouchNooter 1.6.24) and you leave wi-fi on? Will the update still download and then force the Nook to be updated, thus mucking up the entire unit?

That's MY personal fear right now. I don't want to ruin my perfectly rooted NST with all of its android apps.
From what I've read you cannot update it unless you revert to stock 1.0.1. I actually tried twice to manually update it and it simply deleted the 1.1.0 update file. I'm guessing that it failed some check, but it might still waste battery life repeatedly downloading the update before it fails.
Old 11-09-2011, 07:01 PM   #70
Japes
Addict
Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350,Sony PRS-950,Pocketbook 360+,B&N Nook Simple Touch Reader
When I connect my nook it creates TWO drives on my computer. A "Removable Disk K" and "Removable Disk L". Which one am I supposed to put this file on?
Japes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 07:11 PM   #71
Japes
Addict
Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I just don't get why I can't get this update to install for me. I haven't rooted my nook and I'm following the instructions to the letter. And, yeah, I do have the correct file.
Old 11-09-2011, 07:46 PM   #72
LoganK
Groupie
LoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notes

Device: PRS-505,nook,Nook Color,Android
Quote:
Originally Posted by Japes View Post
When I connect my nook it creates TWO drives on my computer. A "Removable Disk K" and "Removable Disk L". Which one am I supposed to put this file on?
"K" is almost certainly the internal, correct one (while "L" is your SD card). If you right-click and look at the properties, the one that is about 200 MB is the correct one.

You could also remove the SD card before updating.

Common problems here include unzipping the file first (Right-click/Properties on the file and make sure the type of file is zip) and a corrupted download (it happens ... just re-download and make sure it finishes).

Then eject and it'll probably reboot on its own within the next couple of minutes.
LoganK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 07:59 PM   #73
Japes
Addict

That did it..thanks..
sd card was the culprit...thanks a ton.
Old 11-09-2011, 11:19 PM   #74
crc
unknown
crc began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Once they finally posted the proper update I got busy and didn't get a chance to test it until today.

Overall it seems to be an improvement. I don't use the wifi on the reader, so have no idea if that has changed at all. Screen updates feel slightly faster, and the touch responses seem to be a little better as well. (At least, since the update it hasn't missed any of my swipes...). Font rendering is definitely different. Things appear bolder and much darker. I can finally use the sans-serif fonts which were far too light before. I'm pretty happy with this update.
crc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 05:45 AM   #75
brudigia
Evangelist
brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPAD AirPro M1 12.9, Kindle Scribe, Kobo Elipsa, iPhone XV
Comparison between releases

I have a friend who still has version 1.0.0 of the SW and I've put the readers one beside the other.
There are some noticeable differences in 1.1.0, characters' size is slightly bigger and definetly crisper. The slightly larger size is reflected sometimes in lines which are slightly shorter (we compared the Nook manual, which is the same one on both devices).
The display also looks slightly whiter, although this seems strange to me.
I'll try to get a picture, as soon as possible, because my friend would like to update his device.
brudigia is offline   Reply With Quote