Old 05-14-2021, 08:20 PM   #1
jackb
jackb began at the beginning.

Device: none
Failed to get children from device: IDispatch error #7689

Getting error when trying to link with my cell phone:

calibre, version 5.17.0
ERROR: Error: Error communicating with device

C:\r\src\src\calibre\devices\mtp\windows\content_e numeration.cpp:322:Failed to get children from device:[-2147213303] IDispatch error #7689

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "calibre\gui2\device.py", line 89, in run
File "calibre\gui2\device.py", line 515, in _books
File "calibre\devices\mtp\driver.py", line 220, in books
File "calibre\devices\mtp\driver.py", line 192, in get_driveinfo
File "calibre\devices\mtp\windows\driver.py", line 272, in filesystem_cache
wpd.WPDError: C:\r\src\src\calibre\devices\mtp\windows\content_e numeration.cpp:322:Failed to get children from device:[-2147213303] IDispatch error #7689

This used to work just fine. I believe that it started to fail with upgrade to Calibre release 5.17.0 or after sending some books to my wife's kindle. I am not sure which.

Using Widows 10 connecting to a Moto Power G via usb.

Both PC and phone have been rebooted. I have deleted files driveinfo.calibre and metadata.calibre with no effect. Windows Explorer has no problem accessing the device. Once it started to fail installing calibre 3.48 had no effect.

Any Ideas?
jackb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 10:54 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
That's an error on the device,scanning its filesystem is failing. Dont know of any way to fix that short fo resetting the device.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-15-2021, 03:11 PM   #3
jackb

Hello,

Many many thanks for the info. I'm assuming that by "resetting the device" you mean more than just a power off/on? I'm not having any troubles accessing the phone via windows explorer.
Old 05-15-2021, 08:19 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes, a reset resets the device to factory state, and thats because windows explorer does nto scane the full device memory, unlike calibre, which needs to do so to present a list of all books on the device.
Old 05-15-2021, 10:22 PM   #5
jackb

Hello,

You are right! I removed the SD memory that I had Calibre pointing to and it all came up just fine. I will format (long process) the SD memory to remove the corruption and push the books out again.

Many many thanks for all your help.

Jack.
Advert
Old 05-15-2021, 10:28 PM   #6
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackb View Post
Hello,

You are right! I removed the SD memory that I had Calibre pointing to and it all came up just fine. I will format (long process) the SD memory to remove the corruption and push the books out again.

Many many thanks for all your help.

Jack.
If you have access to a Windows or Mac OSX computer, I would suggest using the SD Association SD Memory Card Formatter utility. I find it's handling of SD cards is quite a bit more robust than using either a Windows or OSX computers builtin format utilities.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 05:54 PM   #7
jackb

Hello,

FYI, I have an update. It's looking as if there is a compatibility issue with Android 11. I'd guess it is a timing issue when Android 11 is accessing the SD card, but that is a guess.

Today I removed the SD card out of the phone and put it into my PC. I formatted it with the Windows formatter long version to check for any bad bits. No problems so far.

But when I put the SD card into the phone I ran into the original error "Failed to get children from device: IDispatch error #7689". I put the SD card back into the PC was able to put books onto it using the Calibre "Connect to Folder" function. No problems at all.

I put the SD card into the phone and all the preloaded books can be read just fine using ReadEra. I then tried to connect Calibre using USB and it failed again. But then I connected the phone to Calibre using wifi and that worked just fine. Repeat, I was able to download a book from Calibre to the phone using wifi.

I am using a PC running Windows 10 OS Build 19041.985 and Feature Pack 120.2212.2020.0
I am using a Moto Power G running Android 11 version RPM31.Q1-54-13.

This fails when connecting via USB and Android 11.
This worked when connecting via USB and Android 10.
This works when connecting via wifi and Android 11.

I am using ReadEra version 21.04.01+1460 to read the books that are stored on a 128 GB Sandisk SD card.

Hope this helps.
Jack
Old 05-26-2021, 05:34 PM   #8
rasteps
Zealot
rasteps began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle, Android phone
I'm getting the same error with my new Android 11 phone. Did you find a solution? Or do I have to start setting up WiFi transfers.

edit: Just reread your message. And I can see that reformatting the SD card doesn't work.

Did you try the reset to factory settings? I don't want to reset my phone if it's not necessary.

Last edited by rasteps; 05-26-2021 at 05:41 PM.
rasteps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 05:48 PM   #9
rasteps
Zealot

If I try to configure the device in preferences, I get the following error:

calibre, version 5.18.0
ERROR: Unhandled exception: <b>ThreadingViolation</b>:You cannot use the MTP driver from a thread other than the thread in which startup() was called

calibre 5.18 Portable embedded-python: True is64bit: False
Windows-10-10.0.19041 Windows ('32bit', 'WindowsPE')
32bit process running on 64bit windows
('Windows', '10', '10.0.19041')
Python 3.8.5
Windows: ('10', '10.0.19041', '', 'Multiprocessor Free')
Interface language: None

Successfully initialized third party plugins: <snip>

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "calibre\gui2\device_drivers\mtp_config.py", line 434, in change_ignored_folders
File "calibre\gui2\device_drivers\mtp_folder_browser.py ", line 120, in __init__
File "calibre\devices\mtp\windows\driver.py", line 257, in filesystem_cache
File "calibre\devices\mtp\windows\driver.py", line 35, in check_thread
calibre.devices.mtp.windows.driver.ThreadingViolat ion: You cannot use the MTP driver from a thread other than the thread in which startup() was called
Old 05-26-2021, 05:52 PM   #10
jackb

Hello Rasteps,

I so not have a solution. I just installed Calibre 5.18.0 with no change.

My work around is to Connect/Share to a folder on the PC, send the epub to that folder, and then copy that epub to the phone using file explorer. Which in my case was an easier solution than setting up wireless. I just have to remember to Send to Device - Eject Device when I'm done.

I have not reset the phone as this workaround was available and easier. I suspect that there's something new about Android 11, as it all worked just fine on Android 10. But that is a guess.
Old 05-26-2021, 06:34 PM   #11
rasteps
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackb View Post
Hello Rasteps,

I so not have a solution. I just installed Calibre 5.18.0 with no change.

My work around is to Connect/Share to a folder on the PC, send the epub to that folder, and then copy that epub to the phone using file explorer. Which in my case was an easier solution than setting up wireless. I just have to remember to Send to Device - Eject Device when I'm done.

I have not reset the phone as this workaround was available and easier. I suspect that there's something new about Android 11, as it all worked just fine on Android 10. But that is a guess.

So there's no guarantee that a factory reset will work then....

I would test it out on my old phone if it had Android 11, but it can only run on Android 10. And 10 isn't the problem.
Old 05-26-2021, 09:33 PM   #12
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

@rasteps: You cannot pick folders on a device for which the scan fails, since the scan has to succeed for calibre to know what folders are on the device, to present you with the list.

And in any case, in the next release of calibre I have added code to the WPD driver to hopefully ignore folders for which getting contents fails, automatically. Cant be sure since I have no way to duplicate this error.
Old 05-27-2021, 12:28 AM   #13
rasteps
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
@rasteps: You cannot pick folders on a device for which the scan fails, since the scan has to succeed for calibre to know what folders are on the device, to present you with the list.

And in any case, in the next release of calibre I have added code to the WPD driver to hopefully ignore folders for which getting contents fails, automatically. Cant be sure since I have no way to duplicate this error.
Calibre seems to be working as advertised. This seems to be an Android 11 problem, but I don't know why it isn't affecting all Android 11 users.

Would running debug give you any helpful info?
Old 05-27-2021, 12:52 AM   #14
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasteps View Post
Calibre seems to be working as advertised. This seems to be an Android 11 problem, but I don't know why it isn't affecting all Android 11 users.

Would running debug give you any helpful info?
No, just wait for the next release. Hopefulyy my workaround will work. And I doubt it is all android 11 devices.
Old 05-28-2021, 11:49 AM   #15
jackb

Hello,

Just installed Calibre 5.19.0 and the error has changed. I'm still unable to go to the phone, but the Calibre error box just says ERROR: Unhandled Exception (Not Responding).

There is no detail to the error. When closing the error window a second error is generated, "Calibre.exe is not responding". There was no change as I waited 15 minutes before killing Calibre.

Just as an FYI, last night my phone was updated.
I am now running Moto Power G with Android 11, Build Number RPMS31.Q1-54-13-2 with the April 1 security patch.

Hope this helps.