Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 04-28-2024, 10:38 AM   #1
lalf
lalf began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Different metadata strategies

Hello,

With Calibre I wanted to handle 2 different kinds of books, "classic" books that come with their metadata and that I'd use "Read metadata from file contents" and mangas that I'd "Read metadata from file name" with a regex.

Is it possible handling those 2 at the same time or I can only select one strategy in Calibre ?

Because if I choose the former, I have no metadata for mangas, and if I choose the latter, I loose all covers and certain metadata from classic books.

Thank you in advance
lalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2024, 11:10 AM   #2
Comfy.n
want to learn what I want
Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Calibre E-book viewer
One solution I can imagine, although not currently available AFAIK, would be to have two different auto-adding folders, one for the mangas and another for the "classic" ones.

One would read metadata from content, the other from filenames.

Action Chains plugin might make this possible, if there existed an action to toggle that Calibre behaviour option.

see:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...8&postcount=14

Last edited by Comfy.n; 04-28-2024 at 11:24 AM.
Comfy.n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2024, 11:25 AM   #3
lalf
lalf began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comfy.n View Post
One solution I can imagine, although not currently available AFAIK, would be to have two different auto-adding folders, one for the mangas and another for the "classic" ones.

One would read metadata from content, the other from filenames.

Action Chains plugin might make this possible, if there existed an action to toggle that Calibre behaviour option.

see:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...8&postcount=14
Thanks, I didn't know this was possible, will try right away !
lalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2024, 04:15 PM   #4
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
The GetFileName plugin might also be of help here, if you're good at regexes. You can import the filename into a column and then run a search & replace to populate the other columns.

Last edited by ownedbycats; 04-28-2024 at 04:16 PM. Reason: To add a link
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2024, 05:20 PM   #5
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I keep comics and books in separate libraries and make use of JobSpy's Per library tweaks to take care of these issues.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2024-04-29 065245.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	176.6 KB
ID:	207898

Read the tooltips, the setting for each library are specified in the in the Tweaks->Plugins settings

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2024-04-29 071247.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	203.5 KB
ID:	207899

The main reason I have separate libraries is differences in custom columns. The JobSpy plugin and its per library tweaks came along years after making that decision… and I made that decision years before before Virtual libraries existed.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 04-28-2024 at 06:33 PM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote