Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 04-19-2016, 12:50 AM   #1
friedrice
friedrice began at the beginning.

Device: none
Nook S2 vs regular S2--bloat vs bucks??

Noob to ereaders (I'm a book guy). But here's the conundrum:

B&N has the Galaxy Tab S2 8.0 for $299 on sale. Samsung (non-B&N) Galaxy Tab S2 is around $399 everywhere.

I don't know much about Nooks, but I hear they have non-removable apps. Also heard that B&N Nook division may be in trouble.

So...do I save bucks and buy a Nook and ignore the bloat, or can I make the Nook into a regular S2 w/o voiding warranty? Are they essentially exactly the same? Need sage advice.

Thanks!
friedrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 09:58 AM   #2
cgsmom
Addict
cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook GL4+, Nook GL4e, Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle PW4, iPhone 14
Sorry no one else has answered your question. Here's my 2 cents.

I was a very loyal Barnes & Noble customer. I have 3 Nooks (NST, Tablet and HD+). Barnes & Noble began to do things to interfere with my enjoyment of their devices. They stopped letting me download my ebooks to backup on my computer. They have discontinued apps, audiobooks, movies and tv, and they have outsourced their ebook service to a company in India.

This does not feel like a healthy company to me. I began buying books from Google Play store to read on my Nooks. When my HD+ began having trouble (apps crashing and constantly rebooting) I bought an iPad and never looked back. The Nook app works fine, but I now buy all my books from Amazon. My Nook Simple Touch is the only Nook I still use and I plan to replace it with a Kindle sometime this year.

I hate to say this, but I don't think I could recommend buying a Nook to anyone. The company seems determined to fail in the ebook department.

Good luck in your decision.
cgsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-24-2016, 05:27 PM   #3
jkrzok
Connoisseur
jkrzok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jkrzok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jkrzok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jkrzok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jkrzok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jkrzok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jkrzok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jkrzok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jkrzok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jkrzok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jkrzok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD, Aura One, Voyage, Oasis 1 & 2, Many others getting dusty.
I bought the Nook version. The hardware for both is identical. Nook software is there but is actually easily avoided; just go to the Play store and install another launcher. I'm using Nova but Google makes its Now launcher. It's free and nice. With either of these installed the Nook widgets and apps will disappear. I'm happily using Calibre and Moon+ on my tablet with no issues whatsoever.

You also have the option to root the device and this will give you the option of removing all Nook traces. While not adverse to rooting any device (I have several I've rooted) I don't feel the need to do so here. The hardware is robust enough that I don't feel the need to de-Nook my device.
jkrzok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 08:24 PM   #4
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Compare the details of the devices, the Nook S2s are basically the low end of the models. Smallest internal storage available, etc. Also keep in mind that should you have issues with the device, Samsung will send you to B&N to resolve them, and B&N has a sketchy history supporting their devices. In particular as the device is replaced by a newer model.

To put it simply, is the savings worth a potential headache down the line if anything goes wrong with the device?
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 10:39 AM   #5
iluvgadgets
Connoisseur
iluvgadgets has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.iluvgadgets has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.iluvgadgets has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.iluvgadgets has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle paperwhite
I have the Samsung nook and I haven't had any problems with it. I use the nook software as well as the regular android. I buy my books through both nook and Google. Try out both in stores and see which one you like better. The nook was cheaper, on sale, so I went with it. No complaints.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
iluvgadgets is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-05-2016, 11:54 AM   #6
NickyWithNook
Guru
NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra Colour, Kindle Fire, Kindle Pwhite (Don't use Nook anymore)
I have the Samsung Nook and it's fine. I would definitely compare specs though, and realize that B&N has bad customer service.
NickyWithNook is offline   Reply With Quote