Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-07-2015, 12:19 AM   #1
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
The Death Eaters have taken over Pottermore

When Pottermore launched, they got a lot of kudos for offering DRM-free ebooks, seemingly giving momentum to the forces of DRM-free goodness. I even bought one just to see how it worked. This allowed me to easily fix the broken drop caps that they pushed to the Kindle Store (without invoking the Alfalacious charm that is). (The drop caps are still broken...)

I'm not sure when it happened, but they are no longer offering DRM-free ebooks and are using Adobe DRM. It's rather disappointing.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 12:21 AM   #2
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
Amazon doesn't use Adobe DRM. They use Mobipocket-style DRM.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-07-2015, 12:24 AM   #3
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Are you sure about that? They still offer to give me a "direct download", although I haven't gone all the way through because I don't want to use up another download...

They have always used DRM on the copies you can download from the store. i.e. Link your Pottermore book to an ebookstore account, then download like you would ordinarily do for other books.

That has caught many people by surprise. But the direct download from pottermore.com should be DRM-free (although watermarked).

Last edited by eschwartz; 05-07-2015 at 12:29 AM.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 12:26 AM   #4
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
Amazon doesn't use Adobe DRM. They use Mobipocket-style DRM.
Full points for irrelevancy. Who said he was downloading them from Amazon?

<sarcasm>
There's this really cool software called calibre, which allows people to convert EPUBs to AZW3s. People around here use it quite a lot, I am surprised you haven't heard of it before...
</sarcasm>
Old 05-07-2015, 06:03 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
When Pottermore launched, they got a lot of kudos for offering DRM-free ebooks, seemingly giving momentum to the forces of DRM-free goodness. I even bought one just to see how it worked. This allowed me to easily fix the broken drop caps that they pushed to the Kindle Store (without invoking the Alfalacious charm that is). (The drop caps are still broken...)

I'm not sure when it happened, but they are no longer offering DRM-free ebooks and are using Adobe DRM. It's rather disappointing.
You're mistaken: Pottermore have never sold DRM-free books. The books sold direct from the site use watermarking; those sold from other stores use the usual DRM methods of those stores.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-07-2015, 12:45 PM   #6
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
You're mistaken: Pottermore have never sold DRM-free books. The books sold direct from the site use watermarking; those sold from other stores use the usual DRM methods of those stores.
Gosh, you are right, of course. I visited a few weeks ago and saw the several references to ADE. Then by the time I posted, my memory had confabulated all these additional details that I'd seen there about how to deal with .acsm files. I was certain. So much for certainty.

Sorry for the silliness, folks.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 01:51 PM   #7
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Full points for irrelevancy. Who said he was downloading them from Amazon?
He mentioned the Kindle store. That's Amazon.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 03:17 PM   #8
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

EDIT: No, on second thought I am not touching that one with a ten-foot pole.
Old 05-07-2015, 05:36 PM   #9
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
EDIT: No, on second thought I am not touching that one with a ten-foot pole.
How about with a three-metre czech...
murg is offline   Reply With Quote