Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 04-04-2024, 10:53 AM   #166
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Quote:
Originally Posted by haertig View Post
I can't believe that people here did not recognize "literal" vs. "hyperbole". I figured all 27,000,000,000,000 of the members here would know what hyperbole was.
Hyperbole...is this a new concept to folks? People knew what I referring to as the Mega thread
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2024, 10:56 AM   #167
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus Chef View Post
As I think more about this, it strikes me that I paid 40 bucks to buy an old Kindle off eBay so that I would have a reliable method to get my books out, after the Kindle4PC method stopped working for me (broke on Linux, Wine wasn't reliable...will spare the details).

In light of that, it seems silly that this is what we encourage everyone to do, and yet we begrudge people who instead pay 50 bucks for a piece of software that obviates that step.
Yep. Very well stated. Epubor is bad because it doesn't work (for me). It _may_ be bad for abusing open source.

But it's NOT bad to pay $50 to get something working in a "click to install" way. Trading money for time.
Advert
Old 04-04-2024, 10:59 AM   #168
leebase
Karma Kameleon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
For what it may be worth, of the last 5 people I've helped either with direct contact or private messaging in setting calibre/DeDRM, none of them were particularly techie and all 5 managed to get calibre/DeDRM running with a bit of work on their part and a few pointers from me. For 2 of them, the important advice was pointing them at the NoDRM repository, the other 3 had already found it on their own.
With your help. You get that, right? You HELPED them. Help was needed.

We help people here all the time, because help is needed.

If it were easy, people wouldn't need help.
Old 04-04-2024, 11:03 AM   #169
leebase
Karma Kameleon

[QUOTE=haertig;4411653]He made a valid point. But this point was completely overlooked, in favor of belittling him, attempting to make him out as dishonest and a liar - for something as stupid as an exact count of posts. Which no sane person is going to supply for you.[/quote'

Attempted belittle. A failed attempt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haertig View Post
know that there are several people on this forum who will jump on the most trivial and irrelevant innocent detail in someones post to mount an attack on their character. I honestly had not placed you in that group of people, you've always seemed very sensible to me. There is no need to skip over someones point in a rush to assassinate their character. Leave that to the pros - and we have several of them here on this forum.
He placed himself squarely in that group.
Old 04-04-2024, 11:42 AM   #170
nabsltd
Evangelist
nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (11th gen), Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If you know DRM can be removed but your starting from scratch, it's not easy. You have to get calibre, learn to use it, find the URL to the correct version of DeDRM, install it, install KindleForPC (or MAC), have a physical Kindle, install and register ADE, configure DeDRM, etc.
Other than already using Calibre (to catalog my physical books), I was exactly this person 10 years ago when I purchased my first Kindle eBook (before I even had a Kindle).

The instructions here to "search for Apprentice Alf" were enough for me to get everything set up without any need to post here for help. All I did was follow the published instructions that were on his blog.

I know there are different levels of user skill, but the skills and information needed to get DRM removal working are not as complex as many other tasks in Calibre. Quite honestly, I have given up on anything in Calibre that requires any real amount of Python skill, as I do not want to go down that rabbit hole.
nabsltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-04-2024, 07:31 PM   #171
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post
With your help. You get that, right? You HELPED them. Help was needed.

We help people here all the time, because help is needed.

If it were easy, people wouldn't need help.
You did read what I wrote? I not certain how much help supplying a URL counts as. The total time spent on the help was insignificant, maybe 15 minutes total. I spend more time sending links to Kobo firmware images in a week.

As for if it were easy, people wouldn't need help? Tell that to anyone who has not worked in IT and had to deal with endusers. Someone who has never had to deal with a user who thinks that the power switch on their monitor is how to turn off the computer ( I turned it off and then back on but it's still stuck on the same screen. What do I do now?). Someone who has never had to deal with a person who added their user name spelled using ' - /\/\arcus' to filenames and wanted to know why this didn't work on a work computer. The popup box saying "A filename cannot contain any of the following characters: \ / : * ? " < >" was not enough of a clue? There were so many more examples that I saw through my career where easy was more a figment of someone's imagination than a reality. Examples that made me happy that I was able to move into infrastructure and network support. Servers, switches, access points, firewalls, etc. are a lot easier to deal with than endusers.

Last edited by DNSB; 04-04-2024 at 07:33 PM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2024, 07:46 PM   #172
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Someone who has never had to deal with a person who added their user name spelled using ' - /\/\arcus' to filenames and wanted to know why this didn't work on a work computer.
A user couldn't access what they needed on the factory floor. So they were asked what login ID they were using. Then there was all this screaming in the background, "Get Ed over here. We need him now! Yeah Ed. Ed Logan!!! Tell him we need his ID. Engineering needs it to fix the problem!"
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2024, 07:50 PM   #173
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post
He placed himself squarely in that group.
More correctly, you placed yourself in a group that does not consider facts as being important in a debate especially when they are the ones supplying the non-factual information.

I know your wannabe apologist tried to claim that it was hyperbole but then since hyperbole by definition is non-factual, IMNSHO, that makes no difference. In every debate I engaged in in high school and university, one of the rules was 'Facts presented in a debate must be accurate.'

Not to mention the use of "Easy peasy" at the end of your message which was a bit insulting to the person you were replying to.

BTW, are you now aware of how Mobileread displays the replies in a thread making the counting a trivial task.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2024, 08:02 PM   #174
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
It’s (past) time to let the spat go.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2024, 11:09 PM   #175
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
It’s (past) time to let the spat go.
I don't think they're listening...
ownedbycats is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2024, 06:40 AM   #176
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
I don't think they're listening...
yup, good thing neither one is a moderator.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2024, 08:11 AM   #177
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Two posts deleted. Knock it off.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2024, 10:40 AM   #178
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Back on track, when someone comes here and mentions they already bought Epubor and are happy with it? Yeah, it's shady software swiping open source software without properly accrediting it. Yeah, there's no guarantee of support, etc.

But there's got to be a better way of informing someone of your opinion than dog-piling on and making them feel foolish.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2024, 11:12 AM   #179
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
But there's got to be a better way of informing someone of your opinion than dog-piling on and making them feel foolish.
Possibly. But then when someone tries to give the impression that they were somehow unable to support authors before they finally figured out how to remove DRM, then they're proselytizing just a bit. And maybe deserve a bit of dog-piling IMO.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2024, 11:12 AM   #180
Martinoptic
Bibliolater
Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Back on track, when someone comes here and mentions they already bought Epubor and are happy with it? Yeah, it's shady software swiping open source software without properly accrediting it. Yeah, there's no guarantee of support, etc.

Well said.
Martinoptic is offline   Reply With Quote