Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 04-26-2024, 11:46 AM   #2641
arjaybe
Wizard
arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Just yesterday I saw the first book in a series was $1 on Amazon. I clicked what I thought was the button to show me the rest of the series, but instead it purchased all the books as a one-click purchase.
That's fraud, isn't it?
arjaybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2024, 11:47 AM   #2642
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
If you can't tell me what the book is about, in the first few sentences, then I likely won't like it and will not waste my time.
Apache
I disagree with not liking the book because it has review garbage. Plenty of books I've read and enjoyed had review garbage in the blurb.

Last edited by JSWolf; 04-26-2024 at 11:49 AM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-26-2024, 01:44 PM   #2643
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I disagree with not liking the book because it has review garbage. Plenty of books I've read and enjoyed had review garbage in the blurb.
It might be, but I am not wasting my time wading through a mountain to find one mole hill.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2024, 01:48 PM   #2644
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjaybe View Post
That's fraud, isn't it?
Depends on what was indicated where clicked.
Think abvout all the Sites you visit to Download something that are loaded with OTHER 'Download' buttons (really Ads placed by their service host)

Amazon puts the Series link up at the top, under the Author (also a link to all book by) On the (specific) Book Page
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2024, 02:09 PM   #2645
arjaybe
Wizard
arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Depends on what was indicated where clicked.
Think abvout all the Sites you visit to Download something that are loaded with OTHER 'Download' buttons (really Ads placed by their service host)

Amazon puts the Series link up at the top, under the Author (also a link to all book by) On the (specific) Book Page
Even if it's not fraud it's certainly cynical manipulation.
arjaybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-26-2024, 02:18 PM   #2646
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Quote:
Deceptive design patterns, better known as "dark patterns."
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2024, 03:16 PM   #2647
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Just yesterday I saw the first book in a series was $1 on Amazon. I clicked what I thought was the button to show me the rest of the series, but instead it purchased all the books as a one-click purchase.
Looks like the sting of the FTC dark patterns lawsuit has started to wear off. I guess the return of the incessant nags to subscribe to prime is next.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2024, 03:25 PM   #2648
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Is it really all that hard to click on read more?
Not hard, but certainly gratuitously onerous. (And over time can lead to RSI and premature mouse death.)
Old 04-26-2024, 03:28 PM   #2649
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Reguardless of how easy it is to click on read more, I don't think those review bits should be part of the book's description.
Especially when the review quotes are positioned as the first part of the blurb.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2024, 03:32 PM   #2650
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renate View Post
Yes, it is.
I'm sick of all those sites that waste my bandwidth (and time) to send the whole text of something and then they fade it away after the first sentence with a perky "Read more!"
For some time now most amazon reviews have "read more" even when the rest of the review uses less space than the "read more" and much more of long reviews is shown.
Old 04-26-2024, 03:34 PM   #2651
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
Not hard, but certainly gratuitously onerous. (And over time can lead to RSI and premature mouse death.)
That I can't argue with. Placing review quotes and other bits that don't tell me about the contents of the book before any information about the book is annoying at best.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2024, 03:36 PM   #2652
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
So is most of the "read more" link crap.
Old 04-26-2024, 03:39 PM   #2653
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
annoying at best.
I completely agree.
Old 04-26-2024, 03:48 PM   #2654
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I disagree with not liking the book because it has review garbage.
There is a big difference between "likely not like" and "not like".
Old 04-26-2024, 04:03 PM   #2655
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
That's fraud, isn't it?
No. Just clever website design by Amazon (against the consumer). To be fair, I was distracted at work. But there's a big orange button for 'buy the whole shebang' and a little plain text link for 'look first', exacerbated by 1-Click.

Quote:
Yes it is.

You know, I moved to buying most of my books from Kobo. I bought this book at Amazon because it is an indie that is part of KU.

I have my gripes with how Kobo's website is designed (why is the 'purchase confirmation' page so useless?) but man, I sure prefer buying there to buying from Amazon.

Last edited by ZodWallop; 04-26-2024 at 04:10 PM.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote