Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 04-19-2024, 05:58 AM   #2596
JBaby
Zealot
JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 11th Gen Paperwhite SE, 2021 iPad Pro 11” & iPhone 11 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
But what's wrong with going both ePub and Kindle? That gives you a bigger audience.

I think this author went Kindle Unlimited so that's why no more ePub.

But that’s not always the case. I have a friend who went wide. She makes more from KU than she did at all other outlets combined. I can’t blame her for going with KU despite the fact that I hate Amazon having so much control. KU led to more book sales too. This has remained the case even with new books that were never released wide.

In full disclosure I do subscribe to KU, but I always try to get books from outside of Amazon first. I prefer getting books directly from authors. I buy from Amazon as a last resort. KU is a like a streaming service. I have no issue with being subscribed.
JBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2024, 06:02 AM   #2597
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Grrr! Four ebooks today from Amazon with a : in the filename.

Where do I complain?
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-19-2024, 06:10 AM   #2598
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBaby View Post
But that’s not always the case. I have a friend who went wide. She makes more from KU than she did at all other outlets combined. I can’t blame her for going with KU despite the fact that I hate Amazon having so much control. KU led to more book sales too. This has remained the case even with new books that were never released wide.
An outlier. Many also have the experience that they sell as much or more wide as on Amazon.

Also KU is subscription. You pay even when you don't read. It invades privacy because of the stupid model. Amazon decides the pot shared to the page turns. Also unlike physical libraries (most of whom do ebooks now) they get the content free.

Your post, without any verified statistics, is helping a monopolist and hurting readers and authors. Support an actual library.
Old 04-19-2024, 06:50 AM   #2599
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
An outlier. Many also have the experience that they sell as much or more wide as on Amazon.

Also KU is subscription. You pay even when you don't read. It invades privacy because of the stupid model. Amazon decides the pot shared to the page turns. Also unlike physical libraries (most of whom do ebooks now) they get the content free.

Your post, without any verified statistics, is helping a monopolist and hurting readers and authors. Support an actual library.
Quoth could you post a link(s) to some statistics, please?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2024, 07:30 AM   #2600
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
Quote:
Grrr! Four ebooks today from Amazon with a : in the filename.
I think the thin edge of the wedge was when they allowed spaces in filenames.
Renate is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-19-2024, 07:39 AM   #2601
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Quote:
Every author I've asked about it says they got more income from KU than they did from being wide.

Quote:
Unlimited included Amazon Prime, which also has other benefits. So even if someone doesn't read every month they might be using those other things.

Last edited by ownedbycats; 04-19-2024 at 07:42 AM.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2024, 08:09 AM   #2602
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renate View Post
Yes,_what's_wrong_with_naked_underlines?
Old 04-19-2024, 09:47 AM   #2603
Gardenman
Wizard
Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350,Nook HD+, Kindle 2nd gen, kindle keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
You know, I'm sure it is something I did, but I no longer get emails from eReaderIQ. I just have to go to the site daily. I've marked them as not spam and there are not emails from them in the spam file. I just appear not to get them.

Same here. Nothing I do makes the emails come
Gardenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2024, 10:40 AM   #2604
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Are either of you using Outlook.com? Sometimes it just outright eats emails without sending them to spam.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2024, 12:09 PM   #2605
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renate View Post
Spaces in filenames are evil.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2024, 12:29 PM   #2606
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
Spaces in filenames are evil.
Case specific filenames are even more evil.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2024, 12:51 PM   #2607
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Case specific filenames are even more evil.
It's a feature. There is a longstanding convention to capitalize directory names so that subdirectories are listed ahead of regular files. New fangled collation schemes threw the baby out with the bath water.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2024, 01:59 PM   #2608
Lukusaukko
Enthusiast
Lukusaukko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lukusaukko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lukusaukko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lukusaukko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lukusaukko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lukusaukko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lukusaukko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lukusaukko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lukusaukko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lukusaukko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lukusaukko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
I've been trying to download summaries/descriptions of some PD books to my Calibre library, and getting what looks like AI-generated garbage. The summaries have barely if anything to do with the actual contents, and the sentence structure smells of AI (overcomplicated, scholarly, etc. not like something written by a non-academic person who's actually read the book). It's even worse than those that just include a good part of the first chapter or the like, because those AI summaries can be downright hallucinatory.
Lukusaukko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2024, 02:38 PM   #2609
JBaby
Zealot
JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 11th Gen Paperwhite SE, 2021 iPad Pro 11” & iPhone 11 Pro
The Reading Vent & Rant Thread

Quote:

What makes you think that I don’t? I pay for the Stark County Public Library and I’ve done so for two years. Prior to Stark I paid for Brooklyn for years. Riddle me this, when have KU titles been in the library systems?

There’s no such thing as ethical capitalism. I try to be as ethical as possible. But I’m not going to deprive myself of books I want to read. I read a lot. I subscribe to the 2 year subscription to get the lowest price and I’ve paid three times now. Again I don’t see this as being any different from a video streaming service to the end user. It’s not like when you subscribe to a service you’re watching that service 24/7/365. If you subscribe and you aren’t reading enough to warrant the subscription then that’s a you problem. I read close to 200 books a year so it’s not a problem for me. It would be more, but reading isn’t my sole personality trait. I have other interests and hobbies.

Also, I don’t care about the perceived privacy issue. I’ve had 4 Kindles and none have been in airplane mode longer than a few hours total. I love Whispersync so WiFi stays on. Even while out and about I’ll connect via my phone’s hotspot to sync and then I’ll put it in airplane mode if I’m going to be away from home longer than an hour. If I were actually concerned about privacy I wouldn’t have a Kindle in the first place. Hell I wouldn’t have anything to do with Amazon in general at all.

Finally, where are your stats?
JBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2024, 02:51 PM   #2610
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
How many books are you tracking?
One million!

Actually, looks like I am tracking 821 books, likely due to my laziness in removing books I have purchased already.

Quote:
I wonder if there's an upper limit. I usually use the author tracking feature if an author has multiple books I want, and I only track a specific book if the author hasn't written anything else I want to read. This keeps the number of books I'm tracking way down, but sadly it also prevents me from setting a price ceiling, so I get e-mails about $15 books being on sale for $12 and the like, but so far, the e-mail notifications are still working properly, and the list of books I'm tracking is pretty small compared to the list of authors.
Could be. I do use author tracking as well.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote