Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 10-01-2013, 10:25 AM   #1
mb2u
Enthusiast
mb2u got an A in P-Chem.mb2u got an A in P-Chem.mb2u got an A in P-Chem.mb2u got an A in P-Chem.mb2u got an A in P-Chem.mb2u got an A in P-Chem.mb2u got an A in P-Chem.mb2u got an A in P-Chem.mb2u got an A in P-Chem.mb2u got an A in P-Chem.mb2u got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Kobo Touch and Mini
How to edit MOBI documents?

Once I download a reference book I want the Table of Contents to be the first thing I see when I open it...duh. Not copyright/introduction/preface stuff I always see and have to wade through every time its opened. With a book on paper it doesn't matter so much but we all know navigating with digital tools is often a real chore. So I want to start my navigation obviously at the TOC. So I'd love to just delete everything before the TOC. Is this easily possible? I've tried a few mobi readers but none seem to allow any deletion of text.
mb2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 10:43 AM   #2
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb2u View Post
So I'd love to just delete everything before the TOC. Is this easily possible? I've tried a few mobi readers but none seem to allow any deletion of text.
Mobi files are binary files and cannot be edited. However, you can convert them with Calibre to ePub files, edit them with Sigil and then convert them back to MOBI or AZW3.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 10:48 AM   #3
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
You can't edit a mobi file (not easily anyway). It's a compiled binary database. You must convert to an easily editable format (or extract the markup using kindle|mobi-unpack) edit that, and then rebuild the mobi.

It's possible that you may be able to achieve what you want through a calibre mobi-to-mobi conversion, but not likely. If you want to delete content, your best bet is to convert to epub/html, delete the content you don't want, and then convert back to mobi with calibre or kindlegen.

EDIT: what Doitsu said.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 11:45 AM   #4
RbnJrg
Wizard
RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
Mobi files are binary files and cannot be edited. However, you can convert them with Calibre to ePub files, edit them with Sigil and then convert them back to MOBI or AZW3.
Another way is to use KindleUnpack to obtain the source code for the .mobi file. After that, as Doitsu said, you can edit it with Sigil. But if your .mobi file is an old .mobi (a K7 mobi) then is better to use Calibre, as Doitsu also said.
RbnJrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 06:01 AM   #5
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
I know this is not exactly what you've been asking but doesn't your reader give you the option to open the TOC with just two (??) menu clicks?
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 12:32 PM   #6
mb2u
Enthusiast
mb2u got an A in P-Chem.mb2u got an A in P-Chem.mb2u got an A in P-Chem.mb2u got an A in P-Chem.mb2u got an A in P-Chem.mb2u got an A in P-Chem.mb2u got an A in P-Chem.mb2u got an A in P-Chem.mb2u got an A in P-Chem.mb2u got an A in P-Chem.mb2u got an A in P-Chem.

I sure wish I could open the TOC with 2 menu clicks but often its unavailable. I have to manually scroll to it by turning pages. Usually I set the zoom to minimum so I'm scrolling as many pages as possible per page turn. Another option is to bookmark the TOC.
Old 10-02-2013, 12:33 PM   #7
mb2u
Enthusiast

I should mention also that keeping the book in mobi doesn't matter. I could read it in txt, doc, html, epub, who cares? As long as text isn't missing I'm very happy. I found reading in txt has many advantages as page turning is much faster. Plus, you can copy and paste to your computer, edit what you want effortlessly, and copy back to the ereader. Its wonderful to work with.
Old 10-02-2013, 12:38 PM   #8
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
I should mention also that keeping the book in mobi doesn't matter. I could read it in txt, doc, html, epub, who cares? As long as text isn't missing I'm very happy. I found reading in txt has many advantages as page turning is much faster. Plus, you can copy and paste to your computer, edit what you want effortlessly, and copy back to the ereader. Its wonderful to work with.
Problem with txt, for me at least, is you lose a lot of the formatting.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 03:19 PM   #9
mb2u
Enthusiast

Yeah you lose formatting. I couldn't care less about that. I love the way mobi allows you to choose what font, size, margin parameters, etc, it displays. Formatting...that is long gone.
Old 10-02-2013, 03:57 PM   #10
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Yeah you lose formatting. I couldn't care less about that. I love the way mobi allows you to choose what font, size, margin parameters, etc, it displays. Formatting...that is long gone.
I mean things like italics.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 04:39 PM   #11
mb2u
Enthusiast

It would be nice to have stuff like italics, I grant you that. That's the author pointing things out and should be retained if possible. But if its not, its not so bad. The words are there and that's what matters.
Old 10-02-2013, 08:12 PM   #12
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
You could do a two-step conversion: first to HTML, replace the formatting, and then to TXT.

If I remember correctly, the desired formatting was indicated like this on a typewriter:

*bold*
/italics/
_underline_

In HTML you would need to replace (using some regular expressions):

<b>text</b> -> <b>*text*</b>
<i>text</i> -> <i>/text/</i>
<u>text</u> -> <u>_text_</u>

Then convert to txt, and you'll retain the formatting indication.

However, if the book uses something like <span class="fat">text</span>, where the text is set to bold in the stylesheet, you'll need to replace the spans.

Last edited by Katsunami; 10-02-2013 at 08:14 PM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
edit, mobi