Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-10-2022, 08:33 AM   #1
PunkyKoopa
Connoisseur
PunkyKoopa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PunkyKoopa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PunkyKoopa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PunkyKoopa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PunkyKoopa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PunkyKoopa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PunkyKoopa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PunkyKoopa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PunkyKoopa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PunkyKoopa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PunkyKoopa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
About custom and side loaded fonts

Hi,

I like some of the preinstalled fonts but one the multiple reasons to switch to Kobo is the ability of fine tuning the fonts I use, so I will like to try some like Literata or Bookerly.

As far as I know, you have some options locked with side loaded fonts unless you apply a patch, right? I will like to avoid messing with custom firmware and stuff like that.

What do you guys do? Do you custom the font in your PC and then import them to Kobo? Do custom fonts works fine regarding spacing, margins and justification or are there any problems?

Thank you!
PunkyKoopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 08:41 AM   #2
patrik
Guru
patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kobo_Fonts + the last entry at https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kobo_eReader

Patching and updating firmware is probably way easier than you imagine. As most things, the first time you need to go slow and read up on it, the second time it's very easy.
patrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-10-2022, 08:44 AM   #3
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
I patch my Kobos and one of the reasons (not the only one, though) is the ability to add weight to sideloaded fonts. Patching is pretty easy (I'm no hacker) and there have been no drawbacks for me. I would not want not use my Kobos without patching.

Edit: I use a custom font exclusively and have never encountered any issues.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 09:35 AM   #4
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
+1 for patching.

Before patching, I edited a font for line spacing (and maybe weight). As I recall, it is easier to patch then to edit fonts.

YMMV
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 10:08 AM   #5
PunkyKoopa
Connoisseur
PunkyKoopa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PunkyKoopa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PunkyKoopa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PunkyKoopa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PunkyKoopa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PunkyKoopa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PunkyKoopa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PunkyKoopa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PunkyKoopa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PunkyKoopa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PunkyKoopa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thank you!

Is this the patch that I am looking for, right?

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...49&postcount=3

I don’t quite understand one thing. Each font has 4 variants, regular, bold, italic and italic bold, correct? The thing is that I downloaded Literata from Google and it has like 16 variants or so…

Also, do you know a trusty place to get the Bookerly font?
Advert
Old 01-10-2022, 12:25 PM   #6
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
For Literata, I would recommend Literata Book. I have both 'regular' Literata and Literata Book on my Kobo. I cannot remember the differences now, but I prefer Literata Book.

You do have to patch the firmware to get advanced font controls on sideloaded fonts, and I do use the patches. But to be honest, I never actually use the advanced options once they are enabled Try adding sideloaded fonts without the patch if you don't want to mess with it. Odds are, you will be happy with it as is.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 01:03 PM   #7
rtiangha
Evangelist
rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by PunkyKoopa View Post

If you don't care about having the absolute latest version, Amazon makes the font available on their Typography site.

Otherwise, you'll need to extract it from the Kindle firmware yourself. There are How-Tos on this forum somewhere.
rtiangha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 01:37 PM   #8
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thank you!

Is this the patch that I am looking for, right?

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...49&postcount=3
No, that's old. The current patches are all in one place, you just enable the ones you want.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=342717
Old 01-10-2022, 01:39 PM   #9
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
You do have to patch the firmware to get advanced font controls on sideloaded fonts, and I do use the patches. But to be honest, I never actually use the advanced options once they are enabled Try adding sideloaded fonts without the patch if you don't want to mess with it. Odds are, you will be happy with it as is.
Dunno. I certainly couldn't live without advanced font controls. Most fonts are just too thin and pale for my taste without adjusting weight.
Old 01-10-2022, 01:50 PM   #10
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Another vote for patching here. The patches are super easy to install, and it's nice to have the option of using the advanced controls for one's sideloaded fonts, no even if seldom used. Editing fonts would be way too much like hard work for me, and represent lost reading time.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 03:19 PM   #11
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Libra Colour, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Oasis3, Voyage
Another vote for patching, not only for the ability to tweak your sideloaded fonts but also for customizing your Kobo in general. It is very easy to do and you will never look back.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 04:48 PM   #12
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
I don’t quite understand one thing. Each font has 4 variants, regular, bold, italic and italic bold, correct? The thing is that I downloaded Literata from Google and it has like 16 variants or so…

There have been a couple of fonts such as Literata that I've played with where I've used the medium variant for the regular and italic and the extra-bold for the bold and bold italic variants. Generally, I find that on eInk displays when using fonts that were not designed for eInk, I need to increase the weight which using the medium and extra-bold variants works around. I've used FontForge to correct the font metadata.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 02:39 AM   #13
PunkyKoopa
Connoisseur

Thank you!

While I don’t patch my Kobo, the one and only thing missing will be the option the change the weight of the font, right? It is the same thing as bold?

I will add some fonts and in the weekend with more time I will apply the patch.
Old 01-11-2022, 04:41 AM   #14
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Thank you!

While I don’t patch my Kobo, the one and only thing missing will be the option the change the weight of the font, right? It is the same thing as bold?

I will add some fonts and in the weekend with more time I will apply the patch.
It's not the same thing as bold. You can adjust the weight in small increments. As sometimes some text is bolded in books, that must still be discernible, so I never raise the weight to the same level as the bold variant.
Old 01-11-2022, 06:17 AM   #15
PunkyKoopa
Connoisseur

I see. To put it simple, when you use Word or Pages or the text processor of your choice and you change the text to bold, you are just adjusting the weight in a greater increment.

So I need to use the regular version of the font and if I feel that’s too light, I should use a heavier version as regular and rename the metadata accordingly, right?

The heavier font I use as “base” font the heavier it will be when I adjust it in Kobo to the maximum weight, right?

For reference, on my Kindle and always used Bookerly with the base weight.

Last edited by PunkyKoopa; 01-11-2022 at 06:20 AM.