Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 03-20-2021, 12:58 PM   #1
Void42
Void42 plays well with othersVoid42 plays well with othersVoid42 plays well with othersVoid42 plays well with othersVoid42 plays well with othersVoid42 plays well with othersVoid42 plays well with othersVoid42 plays well with othersVoid42 plays well with othersVoid42 plays well with othersVoid42 plays well with others

Device: KPW2, KOA3
Epub to KFX / AZW3 - Different line spacing, margins

Hi all,

when I convert an Epub to KFX it seems like it has more line spacing compared to the same book as AZW3. The text starts also a bit further down in the KFX (bigger top margin?).

As you can see on the screenshot, the KFX file has only 19 lines on the page and more free space at the bottom.

Is it due to the different conversions?
What can I do to have the KFX file look like the AZW3 (i.e. same line spacing, same line count on page, less space at the bottom)?

Any help appreciated

Widows and orphans are set to 1 for KFX conversion.
Screenshots made on Oasis 3 (FW 5.13.5), Bookerly 6, medium line spacing setting.
Calibre 5.12, KFX Output Plugin 1.50.0

Void42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 06:58 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
You can try setting the line-height to 1.2 to try to get KF8 to match KFX. However, if you are trying to get KFX to match KF8, it cannot be done.

Do so in the CSS with body.

Code:
body {
  widows: 1;
  orphans: 1;
  margin-top: 0;
  margin-right: 0;
  margin-bottom: 0;
  margin-left: 0;
  text-align: justify;
  line-height: 1.2;
}
This is the body code I use except for the line-height.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-20-2021, 08:55 PM   #3
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
KFX and KF8 (azw3) books are rendered using different software and differences like this are normal. I don't know of any way to have them come out the same.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 04:34 AM   #4
Void42
Void42 plays well with othersVoid42 plays well with othersVoid42 plays well with othersVoid42 plays well with othersVoid42 plays well with othersVoid42 plays well with othersVoid42 plays well with othersVoid42 plays well with othersVoid42 plays well with othersVoid42 plays well with othersVoid42 plays well with others

Device: KPW2, KOA3
Thanks for your answers!
I would like to decrease the line-height of the KFX, but that does not seem to be possible then.
Void42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 07:05 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Void42 View Post
Thanks for your answers!
I would like to decrease the line-height of the KFX, but that does not seem to be possible then.
I can reduce the line-height of KF8 using the ChareInk font as it's metrics use a smaller line spacing. But when used with KFX, the line height is not lessened. It seems that KFX is hard coded to have a fixed line height.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert