Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-10-2022, 07:52 AM   #1
k.tr
k.tr began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Mini
Unable to setup Kobo Mini after factory reset

Hi, I bought a secondhand Kobo Mini from eBay, and understandably, the seller had done a factory reset before shipping it to me.

Unfortunately I am unable to set it up. When I try to use the wireless setup, I get an error that something went wrong because of my connection. My connection is perfectly fine, and anyway I tried a different wifi network and got the same error. The computer setup doesn't work either, because my computer can't detect the device. I tried different USB ports, a different cable, and another laptop. Still nothing.

I found the thread below while doing a Google search: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=338068

It seems that the solution is to save a firmware file into the Mini, but I'm not able to do that because no combination of my two laptops and two cables are able to detect the Mini.

Does anyone know of a solution? Is it even possible to set it up at this point given that the Kobo Mini is no longer officially supported?

Thank you!
k.tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2022, 11:14 AM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
You could remove the uSD card from the Mini and insert it into your computer. If it is a Windows computer, do not allow it to format the card (it has multiple partitions with only 1 being usable by Windows. Download the newer firmware and unzip it on your computer. Copy the upgrade directory and the KoboRoot.tgz and manifest.md5sum into the .kobo directory on the uSD card. Re-install it in the Mini and it should boot and update.

However, unless you are able to fix the issue with your USB connection, you will be doing everything over WiFi.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-10-2022, 12:59 PM   #3
k.tr
k.tr began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
You could remove the uSD card from the Mini and insert it into your computer. If it is a Windows computer, do not allow it to format the card (it has multiple partitions with only 1 being usable by Windows. Download the newer firmware and unzip it on your computer. Copy the upgrade directory and the KoboRoot.tgz and manifest.md5sum into the .kobo directory on the uSD card. Re-install it in the Mini and it should boot and update.

However, unless you are able to fix the issue with your USB connection, you will be doing everything over WiFi.
Thank you! I'll buy a screwdriver and try this.
k.tr is offline   Reply With Quote