Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 08-28-2023, 04:11 AM   #1
MRM66
Connoisseur
MRM66 began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung A7 & A8 Tab.Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8.00 & Kindle 2.
Calibre 4.15. What version can I update to to still be able to convert my books?

I am using Calibre 4.15.
What version can I update to to still be able to convert my books?
And do I need to update any plug ins to do so?

I am hapy with 4.15 and it works well so don't want torock the boat as they say.

But thought I should consider updating to a later version that would stll enable me to convert?
MRM66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2023, 04:30 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRM66 View Post
I am using Calibre 4.15.
What version can I update to to still be able to convert my books?
And do I need to update any plug ins to do so?

I am hapy with 4.15 and it works well so don't want torock the boat as they say.

But thought I should consider updating to a later version that would stll enable me to convert?
4.15 will convert your eBooks. But not all plugins will work with such an old version. If you cann, upgrade to the latest version 6. What OS are you running?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-28-2023, 05:31 AM   #3
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
If you are 64 bit and any of Win10, Win11, Mac, Linux and the current version 6.x runs, then it will convert everything.
Last 32 bit is maybe 5.44 (some 5.x version), which will also convert everything.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2023, 08:44 AM   #4
MRM66
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
4.15 will convert your eBooks. But not all plugins will work with such an old version. If you cann, upgrade to the latest version 6. What OS are you running?
Windows 11 64bit
I only want to manage and convert my books. Nothing else.
Thought the new versions wouldn't let me convert kindle books?
Old 08-28-2023, 08:49 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Windows 11 64bit
I only want to manage and convert my books. Nothing else.
Thought the new versions wouldn't let me convert kindle books?
That is 100% wrong. The current version work even better then the one you are running now. It's a good idea to keep updated whenever a new version is released. You won't get support for an old version should you need. The suggestion will be to upgrade and then report back if you still have a problem.

If you run DeDRM, you will need to upgrade that. Download and install 10.0.9.

https://github.com/noDRM/DeDRM_tools
Advert
Old 08-28-2023, 08:55 AM   #6
MRM66
Connoisseur

Red face

It is something I am quite nervous about and suppose out of touch. Been using that version of calibre & Alf for a long while
Not even sure how to do it now with Alf.
Old 08-28-2023, 08:58 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
It is something I am quite nervous about and suppose out of touch. Been using that version of calibre & Alf for a long while
Alf has long since left the building. Then Apprentice Harper took over. He too has left the building. Now we have a different building with NoDRM running the show. The new version of DeDRM is better and it's just a matter of installing the 10.0.9 version over the one you already have after you've upgraded your calibre.

The good thing is that if you have any questions about the new calibre, you can ask on MR and get help. The other thing is that by keeping updated, you won't have such a large jump from one version to another.

I'm using the latest version and it works very well with my Libra 2.
Old 08-28-2023, 09:05 AM   #8
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
If everything is working for you now and you don't know how to set up a new version of deDRM, don't update. Nothing wrong with using an older version if it does the job.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2023, 09:12 AM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
If everything is working for you now and you don't know how to set up a new version of deDRM, don't update. Nothing wrong with using an older version if it does the job.
You just install the new one over the old one. That's how easy it is. Please don't make it sound more difficult then it really is.

It's best to keep calibre as updated as possible alone with the plugins. Also, it's a lot easier to get support for a new version then an old version.
Old 08-28-2023, 09:23 AM   #10
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You just install the new one over the old one. That's how easy it is. Please don't make it sound more difficult then it really is.

It's best to keep calibre as updated as possible alone with the plugins. Also, it's a lot easier to get support for a new version then an old version.
You also need to configure the deDRM. And even installing it may be an issue for non-technical people.

I don't update Calibre every time an update is released. Often not in several months. There's no need unless you have a problem or you want something the new version offers.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2023, 09:25 AM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
You also need to configure the deDRM. And even installing it may be an issue for non-technical people.

I don't update Calibre every time an update is released. Often not in several months. There's no need unless you have a problem or you want something the new version offers.
DeDRM is already configured. So it's just a matter of installing the new over the old.

Last edited by JSWolf; 08-28-2023 at 09:28 AM.
Old 08-28-2023, 11:24 AM   #12
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:

I only update if a new version squashes a bug that affects me or adds a useful feature (Full Text Search is great for research after highlighting relevant ebooks).
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2023, 11:26 AM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
I only update if a new version squashes a bug that affects me or adds a useful feature (Full Text Search is great for research after highlighting relevant ebooks).
But in this case, it's the best thing to do to upgrade to the current calibre given how old 4.15 is.
Old 08-28-2023, 11:27 AM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

People, please STOP trying to talk the OP out of upgrading his obsolete version of calibre.
Old 08-28-2023, 11:28 AM   #15
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
By already configured: we mean that it inherits your Alf's configuration.

No DRM is one of those that MR does not host, (We can only mention it, no further help allowed) so the Calibre Notice and update tool does not work. That does not stop you from installing it the same way all other Calibre PI get done. Preference Plugins.

Always read the release notes on the download page if you are using an old OS
Kovid always discusses Major coming changes that might affect existing plugins.

IF there are any USER issues with Calibre or its plugins, they will be mentioned here, usually within hours of release. So just check here

You do have me a bit puzzled. Why are you waiting to convert your books? (or were you including new purchases in this use)
Once converted, they are a part of your Library and just need to be delivered (USB or email) at a later date? That part (or if necessary, an OS 'file Copy') will always work. AFAIK Calibre has never removed a format support. Calibre 2.0 was limited to newer OS when it was discovered that it was unreliable under XP. There simply are no NEW 32 bit releases being made. All older 32 bit releases are still available for download
Staying as current as you can, means new devices and file types are supported.
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote