Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 06-04-2013, 10:12 AM   #1
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 7, Sony PRS300, Fire HD8 Tablet
Is Draft2Digital worth it?

I've been investigating Draft2Digital. My main goal is to have D2D whisk a novel (which is very time sensitive) into Apple so Amazon can "price match" (at free). I know D2D converts Word docs but I have EPUBs and D2D does nothing to the EPUBS (not that I'd want them to). So if D2D can save me time with getting into Apple with the time sensitive novel I'm all for it. But is D2D worth it in general? I mean, maybe if you're giving them Word docs and they do a decent job turning them into EPUBS (although I wonder about that too), but to take 15% just for submitting to Kobo and Apple and B&N? I looked at Kobo and it seemed easy to submit there. Are B&N and Apple that hard? I mean, wouldn't it be better to take the time, submitting yourself, having the direct relationship with the distributor rather than needing a go-between, and, of course, saving the 15%?

Anybody got any experience with this? Thanks.
Gregg Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 10:48 AM   #2
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
I suppose it depends. Over at the kboards writer's cafe, there's been a lot of talk about D2D. Some people use it to get into iBooks and for nothing else (apparently if you dont' have a mac it can be a challenge to get listed there). I'm considering using them for my stories, because I don't want to have to monitor so many outlets simultaneously - it's worth it for me to get the accounting done in just one place rather than setting up accounts for kobo, B&N, iBooks, Diesel, and however many other places.

I suppose that, if you're selling in the hundreds or thousands of copies, that 15% can really hurt, and it makes more sense to set up your own accounts. I don't think there's that kind of market for my fairy tales, and so it's probably worth it to not have the additional hassle.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-04-2013, 05:43 PM   #3
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Why not use Smashwords? They accept EPUBS and will get you in to Apple, Kobo, and B&N all for free.

Amazon may take months to price match, so if your plan is based on timing... it probably will not work.
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 06:14 PM   #4
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

No, smashwords also charges 15% commission on anything they place.
Old 06-04-2013, 06:15 PM   #5
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
No, smashwords also charges 15% commission on anything they place.
He said free book, they do not charge for that.
Advert
Old 06-04-2013, 08:14 PM   #6
BeccaPrice
Wizard

oh, I missed that; thanks.
Old 06-04-2013, 09:22 PM   #7
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
I suppose it depends. Over at the kboards writer's cafe, there's been a lot of talk about D2D. Some people use it to get into iBooks and for nothing else (apparently if you dont' have a mac it can be a challenge to get listed there). I'm considering using them for my stories, because I don't want to have to monitor so many outlets simultaneously - it's worth it for me to get the accounting done in just one place rather than setting up accounts for kobo, B&N, iBooks, Diesel, and however many other places.

I suppose that, if you're selling in the hundreds or thousands of copies, that 15% can really hurt, and it makes more sense to set up your own accounts. I don't think there's that kind of market for my fairy tales, and so it's probably worth it to not have the additional hassle.
Yeah, I'm not big on the hassle of it all either. I'm leaning toward going with them (D2D). I suppose a lot of this stuff gets worked out by actually doing it. (And I didn't know Apple was SUCH a hassle.) Thanks for the input.
Old 06-04-2013, 09:33 PM   #8
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

okay vincent

Quote:
Originally Posted by VydorScope View Post
Why not use Smashwords? They accept EPUBS and will get you in to Apple, Kobo, and B&N all for free.

Amazon may take months to price match, so if your plan is based on timing... it probably will not work.
I heard it usually only takes weeks for Amazon to price match if you go free in Apple (not so much Kobo). Is this not the case?

In regards to why not use Smashwords? Will Smashwords publish my epub without tampering with it, or putting it through its "meat grinder"? I don't know. What's better about Smashwords (than D2D)? I've heard not the greatest things about its style guide, the quality of the books it puts out. And, regarding the wanting to price match with Amazon at "free," will Smashwords facilitate that process any faster than D2D? (I've heard D2D is as fast as they get.)

And lastly, since my plan is indeed based on timing, do you have any suggestions for me?

thanks
Old 06-04-2013, 09:43 PM   #9
VydorScope
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg Bell View Post
I heard it usually only takes weeks for Amazon to price match if you go free in Apple (not so much Kobo). Is this not the case?
The amount of time it takes is not predictable. Some have had theirs done in days, others months. Mine was free in Apple, Kobo, B&N, Diesel, Sony, Bookie Jar, Smashwords, Google, and OBooko for 1/2 year before it went free on Amazon. It has been free ever since. Using the "make it free" thread on kboards helps I am told.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg Bell View Post
In regards to why not use Smashwords? Will Smashwords publish my epub without tampering with it, or putting it through its "meat grinder"? I don't know. What's better about Smashwords (than D2D)? I've heard not the greatest things about its style guide, the quality of the books it puts out. And, regarding the wanting to price match with Amazon at "free," will Smashwords facilitate that process any faster than D2D? (I've heard D2D is as fast as they get.)
If you send an EPUB they do not mess with it. They check it to make sure it meets their quality standards, and tell you to fix it if it does not. If you send in a DOC to ANY of the services (D2D, Amazon, Smashwords, etc) it will go through their version of a "meatgrinder."

Smashwords can get you into more places then D2D currently. I have not used D2D, but I suspect they are an up and coming competitor for Smashwords which hopefully will make Smash better. ( I have looked at them and read threads about them, so know a little that way)

The ONLY complaint I have with Smash is they are slow. Slow to push books out, slow push out updates, slow to respond to customer service requests, and slow to report sales and royalties.

Personally I push directly to: Amazon, Kobo, B&N and Smash currently. You need a Mac, or use Macincloud, to push to Apple and I have been told it is very much annoying. I have a Mac, but I have not tried yet. I let Smashwords deal with it.
Old 06-05-2013, 11:18 AM   #10
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

thank you

Quote:
The amount of time it takes is not predictable. Some have had theirs done in days, others months. Mine was free in Apple, Kobo, B&N, Diesel, Sony, Bookie Jar, Smashwords, Google, and OBooko for 1/2 year before it went free on Amazon. It has been free ever since. Using the "make it free" thread on kboards helps I am told.

If you send an EPUB they do not mess with it. They check it to make sure it meets their quality standards, and tell you to fix it if it does not. If you send in a DOC to ANY of the services (D2D, Amazon, Smashwords, etc) it will go through their version of a "meatgrinder."

Smashwords can get you into more places then D2D currently. I have not used D2D, but I suspect they are an up and coming competitor for Smashwords which hopefully will make Smash better. ( I have looked at them and read threads about them, so know a little that way)

The ONLY complaint I have with Smash is they are slow. Slow to push books out, slow push out updates, slow to respond to customer service requests, and slow to report sales and royalties.

Personally I push directly to: Amazon, Kobo, B&N and Smash currently. You need a Mac, or use Macincloud, to push to Apple and I have been told it is very much annoying. I have a Mac, but I have not tried yet. I let Smashwords deal with it.
Thanks Vincent. That's super-helpful information. I'll take another look at Smash. I don't like the "slow" part but that they tell you if something is wrong with the epub is good and having more outlets. I assume the % they take is similar to D2D. One question (somewhat unrelated): If I submit (through D2D or Smash) to Apple (with an eye toward going free in Amazon) do you think it would be a good idea to leave out an "Amazon Author Page" link? (What I'm thinking is Apple may be snooty about seeing the amazon author page link and take longer to accept it.)
Old 06-05-2013, 11:24 AM   #11
VydorScope
Wizard

I produce a special epub just for Smashwords because they have a little pickiness about the copyright page. I do not link to my Amazon page. I link to my website, twitter, and mailing list.

The goal is to get people on your email list. That is your most important marketing tool (based on my research). So you should be thinking of finding ways to drive to that.

In the past I have had links to Amazon in my epubs that have gone to Apple and they have not complained.
Old 06-05-2013, 09:41 PM   #12
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

thanks

Quote:
I produce a special epub just for Smashwords because they have a little pickiness about the copyright page. I do not link to my Amazon page. I link to my website, twitter, and mailing list.

The goal is to get people on your email list. That is your most important marketing tool (based on my research). So you should be thinking of finding ways to drive to that.

In the past I have had links to Amazon in my epubs that have gone to Apple and they have not complained.
thanks