Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 04-07-2023, 08:54 AM   #1
Siavahda
Connoisseur
Siavahda can eat soup with a fork.Siavahda can eat soup with a fork.Siavahda can eat soup with a fork.Siavahda can eat soup with a fork.Siavahda can eat soup with a fork.Siavahda can eat soup with a fork.Siavahda can eat soup with a fork.Siavahda can eat soup with a fork.Siavahda can eat soup with a fork.Siavahda can eat soup with a fork.Siavahda can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2018
Unhappy Trying to set 'Beginning'/start reading page in AZW3

Please offer any ideas as dumbed-down as possible; I'm not the savviest with these things!

I have an ePUB file I'm converting to AZW3. When I open the AZW3 on my Kindle, for some reason it thinks the 'Beginning' is one of the last pages of the book.

I've tried setting id="start" on the title page of the ePUB and using the XPATH //h:a[@name='start'], but when I convert it, the AZW3 still opens at the end of the book.

I've tried doing the same thing to the AZW3 file, and converting it again to AZW3, but that hasn't worked either.

I didn't think it would work, but I also tried deleting the toc and recreating it, and that did nothing.

Any suggestions?
Siavahda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2023, 10:05 AM   #2
Siavahda
Connoisseur
Siavahda can eat soup with a fork.Siavahda can eat soup with a fork.Siavahda can eat soup with a fork.Siavahda can eat soup with a fork.Siavahda can eat soup with a fork.Siavahda can eat soup with a fork.Siavahda can eat soup with a fork.Siavahda can eat soup with a fork.Siavahda can eat soup with a fork.Siavahda can eat soup with a fork.Siavahda can eat soup with a fork.

I ended up using Sigil to edit the opf file of the ePUB.

Quote:
<reference type="text" title="Beginning" href="[WRONG FILE NAME]"/>
Found the bit above and edited in the correct starting file. Worked like a charm!
Advert
Old 04-07-2023, 03:01 PM   #3
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
You can edit that in Calibre.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2023, 03:48 PM   #4
Siavahda
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
You can edit that in Calibre.
Well, like I said, I need that dumbed-down quite a bit. Because I spent hours at it in Calibre and couldn't figure it out. (And am now a bit concerned that there's a super simple method I completely missed...)

Unless you mean, you can edit the opf file in Calibre? Because...I DID NOT REALISE YOU COULD DO THAT! Ahhh, thank you!!! That will make it MUCH easier if it ever comes up again!

Last edited by Siavahda; 04-07-2023 at 03:51 PM.
Old 04-07-2023, 04:50 PM   #5
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siavahda View Post
Unless you mean, you can edit the opf file in Calibre? Because...I DID NOT REALISE YOU COULD DO THAT! Ahhh, thank you!!! That will make it MUCH easier if it ever comes up again!
Yes, though probably of the azw3 after conversion as the not-starting-at-the-start thing is purely Amazon.

I do have Sigil, and I'd use it for a textbook or similar, but LO Writer -> Extra Save As in docx -> Calibre to epub is perfect for novels, poetry, plays etc apart from any images that want to be a % of screen width or height and other dimension set to auto. Of course I use styles and a different copy to export a PDF direct from LO Writer when the epub version is proofed.
Then I make all other formats from the epub.

Last edited by Quoth; 04-07-2023 at 04:54 PM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert