Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-08-2014, 03:51 PM   #1
Hatgirl
Addict
Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, Sony PRS-T2, Kindle (7th Gen)
Dictionaries and identical inflections

How does the current range of Kindles display entries that have identical inflections?

So, like, if a dictionary containing the code below was on a Kindle, and I highlighted the word "drunk" in a novel, would only the first definition be displayed
Quote:
"drink - take (a liquid) into the mouth and swallow"
or would it display both?
Quote:
"drink - take (a liquid) into the mouth and swallow"
"drunk - a person who is drunk or who habitually drinks to excess"

Code:
<html>
<body>

<idx:entry>
	<b><idx:orth>drink
	<idx:infl>
		<idx:iform value="drinks"/>
		<idx:iform value="drinking"/>
		<idx:iform value="drank"/>
		<idx:iform value="drunk"/>
	</idx:infl>
	</idx:orth> </b> 
	<i>verb</i> <br/>
	take (a liquid) into the mouth and swallow
</idx:entry>
<br/><br/>

<b><idx:orth>drip
		<idx:iform value="drips"/>
	<i>noun</i> <br/>
	a small drop of a liquid
<br/><br/>
<hr/>

<b><idx:orth>drunk
		<idx:iform value="drunks"/>
	<i>noun</i> <br/>
	a person who is drunk or who habitually drinks to excess
<br/><br/>
<hr/>

</body>
</html>
Hatgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 04:15 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
When a word has multiple definitions, it displays them from the first one, and will show as much as fits in the space available in the pop-up definition window. You can then tap a link to see the full definition, which displays the dictionary as a book, open at that first definition, and you can page backward and forward in it, as any other book.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-08-2014, 04:23 PM   #3
Hatgirl
Addict
Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for the reply, HarryT, but I'm not sure I understand it completely

So, yes the Kindle popup is capable of showing definitions from multiple <idx:entry> elements at the same time? Or have I got the wrong end of the stick?
Old 01-08-2014, 05:18 PM   #4
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
How is your definition of drunk in any way a subcategory of "drink"? The only way it would be would be if the word was a past tense or something, which it is not. It is simply a related term. The dictionary does show related terms, but how it is encoded in the dictionary, I don't know. Perhaps you could strip the DRM from one of the default dictionaries, extract the HTML, and look.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 05:35 PM   #5
Hatgirl
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
How is your definition of drunk in any way a subcategory of "drink"? The only way it would be would be if the word was a past tense or something, which it is not. It is simply a related term. The dictionary does show related terms, but how it is encoded in the dictionary, I don't know. Perhaps you could strip the DRM from one of the default dictionaries, extract the HTML, and look.
  • I know how it is encoded in the dictionary, that's easy, I included sample code in my original post :-) I just don't know how the Kindle displays the encoding.
  • drunk is the past participle of drink eg. the milk was drunk. For "sing", the past participle is "sung". And so on.

(The reason I posted my question is that I am thinking of creating a dictionary for a language in which identical inflections are more common than in English, but if the Kindle can't display multiple <idx:entry> elements at the same time then there's not much point in putting in the effort of creating the dictionary)
Advert
Old 01-08-2014, 06:00 PM   #6
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You're right, I forgot about the past participle, I was thinking of plain old past tense.

Is the encoding the same way they display additional words, or just an addition word for the same index? There is a separate type of display on the Kindle for related words, as opposed to different definitions of the same word.
Old 01-09-2014, 09:45 AM   #7
Lady Stardust
User
Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Iphone, Kindle 3, PW1/2/3, KOA1/2/3, Aura HD/One/, Kobo Forma
PW2013 displays for drunk
-past participle of drink
- adj. affected by alcohol etc etc including the meaning of drunk with
-noun a person who is drunk etc etc
And then some phrases
In the pop up window all the above is displayed, including phrase drunk and disorderly. If you open dictionary by clicking more you get one more phrase and then drunkard as noun
Lady Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 11:24 AM   #8
susan_cassidy
Wizard

That's fine, but that's not what I see for related words in an entry. It actually says Related Words, then lists possible related words, with links to them.
Old 01-09-2014, 03:05 PM   #9
Little.Egret
Wizard
Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, Kindle Fire 2, NOOK ST, Kindle HDX, Fire 7"
Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
That's fine, but that's not what I see for related words in an entry. It actually says Related Words, then lists possible related words, with links to them.
Neither your profile nor your post says which Kindle you are using (Lady Stardust PW (Paper White) 2013 )

I think they all differ slightly.
Little.Egret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 03:06 PM   #10
susan_cassidy
Wizard

Kindle Keyboard, currently.
Old 01-12-2014, 05:29 PM   #11
Hatgirl
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Stardust View Post
PW2013 displays for drunk
-past participle of drink
- adj. affected by alcohol etc etc including the meaning of drunk with
-noun a person who is drunk etc etc
And then some phrases
In the pop up window all the above is displayed, including phrase drunk and disorderly. If you open dictionary by clicking more you get one more phrase and then drunkard as noun
Huh, that sounds like what I was hoping for