Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 04-24-2020, 06:57 AM   #1
Tar
Tar is clearly one to watchTar is clearly one to watchTar is clearly one to watchTar is clearly one to watchTar is clearly one to watchTar is clearly one to watchTar is clearly one to watchTar is clearly one to watchTar is clearly one to watchTar is clearly one to watchTar is clearly one to watch

Device: none
Lightbulb Hisense A5Pro B&W e-ink smartphone

Please don't mistake with A5C or A5ProCC, both of which are color display models.

From what I've read, it seems that A5Pro will be an enhanced A5.

Since we only have half-translated information about this phone yet, I will share all the information I read and differences from A5 (could be wrong!):

- Basically same display (at least size) as A5 model. Maybe faster refresh rate.

- Same hifi audio chip (great!)

- Possibly an independent speaker (Kudos to Hisense for listening to the feedback!)

- Possibly better frontlight ( I read "warm light" mentioned, which would surely contrast with the one on the A5 which is white/blue.) Hopefully not PWM controllwed brightness though.
Here is the quote:
During the night, the device will utilise the diffuse reflection technology through warm light sources mounted on the front side of the device display. Compared with other electronic devices, A5 Pro CC is totally blue-light-free for daytime reading and reduces the content of blue light by 95% for reading at night. It protects eyes greatly by decreasing the harm caused by the blue light to eyes.
So this mentions the CC version, but I think it is highly likely the A5Pro would have improved fronglight as well. Very good!

- Android 10 as opposed to Android 9 on A5.

- UNISOC Tiger T610 processor. They seem to be proud of it. I'm sure it will be enough for an e-ink device and it is better than the one on the regular A5.

- Speed refresh mode

- Fullscreen reading mode

- Dual SIM

- Type C

- Fingerprint

- NFC

- Same battery and camera (both decent)

- Will support more 4G frequencies

- Volume keys now turn pages

- No disturb mode (messages only appear in notifications bar.)

- Camera: upgraded image processing and AI capabilities. Hardware is likely the same.

- Probably no Google Services. Very good!

TLDR: Overall, it sounds like a greatly enhanced Hisense A5. Most importantly, the frontlight is likely greatly improved and hopefully no longer uses PWM. It is also great they will retain the wonderful hifi sound chip and will add an independent speaker, too, so the phone will be very strong in the audio department. Android 10 and a better CPU are nice bonuses, too. If all this is true, Hisense truly deserves a thumbs up for listening to the fan's feedback on the A5.
A5 was a very nice device already and this feels like it will be a huge improvement for but a minor price increase.
Tar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 11:19 AM   #2
lowsense
lowsense can extract oil from cheeselowsense can extract oil from cheeselowsense can extract oil from cheeselowsense can extract oil from cheeselowsense can extract oil from cheeselowsense can extract oil from cheeselowsense can extract oil from cheeselowsense can extract oil from cheese

Device: Hisense A5
I'm more interested in the color ones, since they are just a little more expensive than the black and white.
lowsense is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-29-2020, 12:28 PM   #3
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowsense View Post
I'm more interested in the color ones, since they are just a little more expensive than the black and white.
I'll be very surprised if the colour models aren't less sharp due to the colour filter even reading B&W text.

I'll be very surprised if the colour models aren't greyer due to the colour filter even reading B&W text in ambient light without a front light on.

If you mostly read colour content (then a 7"+ screen is likely needed), then colour makes sense. A colour eink is of almost no value for reading novels and short stories. I hope they will use the trick of colour subpixel addressing for the edges of characters on monochrome text or serif fonts will look poor.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 02:42 PM   #4
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
Buying into colour e-ink now is a huge gamble on reliability, quality.... Setting aside all the risk and hassles of imported tech, it's still surely wiser to buy LCD, for colour now, ( comics etc) or stick to grey scale for a pure text reading experience

Maybe I am just a luddite, but I can't see the attraction.. and if I can't actually get hands on one in a store and can't easily send it back if I don't like it....

It may or may not be an otheriwse great smart phone, but this site is mostly about readers and reading. The URL is a clue
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote