Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 07-29-2022, 10:02 AM   #451
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
When you're switching between ADB/fastboot/EDL it's helpful to see stuff pop up/disappear.
You can run UsbLog.exe and it will show you.
Note that if you see something disappear and its replacement does not appear look to see if it did reappear as something but there is no driver installed.
http://www.temblast.com/windows.htm
Renate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2022, 02:46 PM   #452
keitaro26
keitaro26 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Glowlight 4
I was able to get past my previous problem, it was the drivers. Had to roll back to 1.3. However now the nook won't boot at all. Boot img attached.
Attached Files
File Type: zip magisk_patched-25200_Lzhdi.zip (7.63 MB, 74 views)
keitaro26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2022, 02:57 PM   #453
keitaro26

Tried a factory reset, still won't boot.
Old 07-29-2022, 05:59 PM   #454
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Did you try flashing the original boot.img? It's in the update.
Does recovery have any useful options? Do you want a recovery with rooted ADB?
Old 07-29-2022, 06:18 PM   #455
keitaro26

Recovery only had a factory reset option, which I tried. Now it doesn't even show up in USBView when I plug it in and no ADB access. Any other things I could try? Doesn't matter if its rooted or not, just want to get it booting again.
Old 07-29-2022, 08:06 PM   #456
Renate
Wizard

Ok, can you still get to fastboot? If so, here's how to proceed, carefully.
If something doesn't react as portrayed, stop!

Preparation

Download http://su.barnesandnoble.com/nook/pi...1/gentoo/3.123

Download nnglow21.img from http://www.temblast.com/neonoogie.htm

Get misc-rec.prc from attachment. Just rename it plain misc-rec

Install rooted recovery

Go to fastboot:

Code:
C:\>fastboot flash recovery nnglow21.img
C:\>fastboot flash misc misc-rec
Long power press to reset, you should see a splash with "Neo Noogie".

Install update

Code:
C:\>adb shell
# mount -t f2fs /dev/block/by-name/UDISK /data
# mount -t ext4 /dev/block/by-name/cache /cache
# ^D
C:\>adb push update.zip /data/media/0
C:\>adb shell
# update-binary 2 1 /data/media/0/update.zip
<lots of printing, should end happily>
# dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/block/by-name/misc
dd: /dev/block/by-name/misc: write error: No space left on device <not a problem, correct>
^D is control key + d

Hit the power button (which has "Reboot normally" written under it)
If that doesn't work do a really long power press ~30 seconds.
Attached Files
File Type: prc misc-rec.prc (512 Bytes, 93 views)

Last edited by Renate; 07-29-2022 at 08:36 PM.
Old 07-30-2022, 11:41 PM   #457
keitaro26

Unfortunately, my computer doesn't even register that is it being plugged or unplugged. The first command only returns "<waiting for any device>".
Old 07-31-2022, 08:14 AM   #458
Renate
Wizard

Yeah, but you had fastboot a minute ago???

Does the charging light go on when you plug it in?
Leave it charging in any case.
Have you tried another Type C device on this cable?
You're saying that Windows takes no notice, no "bongs", no error messages when you plug it in?
You don't see a VID/PID of 1f3a/efe8 in UsbView?
Code:
Device Descriptor:
bcdUSB:             0x0110
bDeviceClass:         0x00
bDeviceSubClass:      0x00
bDeviceProtocol:      0x00
bMaxPacketSize0:      0x40 (64)
idVendor:           0x1F3A
idProduct:          0xEFE8
bcdDevice:          0x02B3
iManufacturer:        0x00
iProduct:             0x00
iSerialNumber:        0x00
bNumConfigurations:   0x01
Have you tried a long ~30 second power press?

Last edited by Renate; 07-31-2022 at 09:56 AM.
Old 07-31-2022, 02:47 PM   #459
keitaro26

I had Fastboot working before I tried the factory reset, but now it does not register at all. I've tried multiple cables, and the charge light does turn on when plugged in, but Windows does not make the device connected sound and nothing shows up in the device manager or on USBviewer.

30-second long press makes the screen flash like it is rebooting, but nothing else changes.
Old 07-31-2022, 03:13 PM   #460
Renate
Wizard

Mmm, then that means that things are working well enough that it's not going to the ROM bootloader, but bad enough that it's not going anywhere.

I don't really have that much interest in Allwinner/Glow '21, but I took it apart looking for the test points to put it into FEL mode (analogous to Qualcomm EDL mode). I couldn't find any, but the u-boot does accept the "efex" command which puts it into FEL mode. I wrote a proof-of-concept FEL client and that works:
Code:
C:\>allwin
Found FEL device
AWUSBFEX 00175500 00000001 0001
Model sun8iw15
You're shooting in the dark, at the least you need to hook up a 3.3V UART to get some feedback on what it's doing.
It's the through-hole connector on the left, from the top, Gnd, RX (in), TX (out), 3.3V.
If you're lucky, you can stop the boot and put it into fastboot.
Still, to go any further with that you'd have to get your device into FEL mode and you'd need a real FEL/FES client.
https://github.com/linux-sunxi/sunxi-tools

Last edited by Renate; 07-31-2022 at 03:15 PM.
Old 08-25-2022, 10:36 AM   #461
Geekgirl69
Geekgirl69 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook glowlight 4
Night mode question

Hi all! I installed a launcher following @downeaster59’s instructions. I used dc launcher because nova launcher stops responding and never completely loads. I can turn on the light holding down the nook button. Is there a way to adjust the warmth from the Android settings or do I need to boot toto stock launcher and then redo the android launcher?

Also I had posted this next piece of info on xda but haven’t seen it mentioned here: I am able to listen to an audio book with my Bluetooth headphones on the overdrive app booted in the dclauncher mode.
Geekgirl69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2022, 02:44 PM   #462
Renate
Wizard

I had a standalone app for the Glow '21 that had separate sliders for brightness and color temperature.
I just tried it and it didn't work. I forget if I did an update or something.
I'll look into it and update the app.
Old 08-25-2022, 06:04 PM   #463
Geekgirl69
Geekgirl69 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook glowlight 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renate View Post
I had a standalone app for the Glow '21 that had separate sliders for brightness and color temperature.
I just tried it and it didn't work. I forget if I did an update or something.
I'll look into it and update the app.
Thank you!
Geekgirl69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2022, 12:57 PM   #464
Renate
Wizard

I'm confused about where/if/how B&N is saving the color settings.
It may just be that they have it in some B&N user code that I've disabled.
There are many strange things about how B&N did their lights.

Onyx did their lights so that the cool (i.e. bluish) LED is a bit too cool to read by alone.
That's why normally you mix in some warm. It gives you a bit of latitude.

OTOH, the Glow 21 uses the cool LED all by itself as the "normal" light.
If you want things warm you can mix in the warm LED which in "normal" is completely off.

Also, practically every device on the planet uses the same IC to drive ereader frontlights and LCD backlights: the venerable TI LM3630A. It uses a range of 8 bits, 0 to 255. So normal people keep the settings on that range, 0 to 255. B&N went with a range of 0 to 100. This just loses you precision. A user never sees these numbers so it's not for esthetics.

So the challenge with making my Lights app is to make it all compatible with all the silly things that B&N did. I can control the actual hardware exactly, but it doesn't do me any good if when the device is powered off/on the stock software makes a mockery of my settings.

So, here you go. Right now I have it just control the brightness. I could add a slider for the color but right now you'd have to readjust it every time you turned your device back on.

I analysed the B&N transfer function and I think that they had someone type a lookup table after the office Xmas party. That's the blue line. I'm orange.

Just rename the .zip file .apk it's not actually zipped.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bnlights.png
Views:	82
Size:	20.8 KB
ID:	196111  
Attached Files
File Type: zip Lights-1.0.zip (29.0 KB, 76 views)
Old 09-11-2022, 04:22 AM   #465
MrBryan
MrBryan began at the beginning.

Device: nook glow light 4
Curious if anyone using GL4 has gotten fastmode/a2 or similar working and a way of increasing contrast on all apps as those used to offer?

Also.. how can I add a back button or map one of the arrows to that?

Posted to the xda thread too. Just trying to get all the functionality i had on my old NST
MrBryan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
nook