Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 12-20-2011, 11:59 AM   #1
3guk
3guk began at the beginning.

Device: iPad 2
Fixing "Stuck" eReaders

Hey Guys,

Ive been a lurker on this forum for quite some time, and its quite a treasure trove of information especially for me as a small time electronics repair guy.

I hope you don't mind but I've been using some of your tips and reset procedures to fix some customers devices "often at no charge " and I've slowly been building a database of reset tips.

http://factory-reset.com

I hope you don't mind me posting a link to it, if anyone has any that I have missed then it'd be great if you could add some.

Thanks
3guk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 12:04 PM   #2
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
It's empty?
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-20-2011, 12:06 PM   #3
3guk

No, or at least i don't think it is :S

At my last check I had 26 e-readers in there : http://factory-reset.com/wiki/Category:E-Reader
Old 12-20-2011, 02:31 PM   #4
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx

Looks good!

Learned something about my Gen3 and about my DVD recorder, thanks.
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 02:34 PM   #5
Ceuse
Ceuse knows what time it isCeuse knows what time it isCeuse knows what time it isCeuse knows what time it isCeuse knows what time it isCeuse knows what time it isCeuse knows what time it isCeuse knows what time it isCeuse knows what time it isCeuse knows what time it isCeuse knows what time it is

Device: Kindle 4 Non Touch & Kindle Keyboard
works only if you disable adblock in my case
Ceuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-20-2011, 02:36 PM   #6
3guk

Hmmm thats odd, I run adblock too and everything shows up perfectly.

Do you just get a totally blank screen with adblock enabled ?
Old 12-20-2011, 02:49 PM   #7
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Thank you this could come in handy.
I thought you would like to know that the Nook Color is listed twice on the Barnes and Noble Page.
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 03:02 PM   #8
3guk

Thanks for that Apache - i've edited and fixed that issue !

If anyone else knows of any I have missed then please let me know, I'd rather have people find out about this online, than having to return devices that aren't actually faulty !
Old 12-20-2011, 04:48 PM   #9
Ceuse
Ceuse knows what time it isCeuse knows what time it isCeuse knows what time it isCeuse knows what time it isCeuse knows what time it isCeuse knows what time it isCeuse knows what time it isCeuse knows what time it isCeuse knows what time it isCeuse knows what time it isCeuse knows what time it is

Device: Kindle 4 Non Touch & Kindle Keyboard
Still showing a page but no content. with adblock plus- firefox and 3 filter abonemonts just inforimg
Ceuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 04:55 PM   #10
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm using Linux Firefox + Adblock as well. Not sure what exactly is causing the problem but the W3C Validator says the HTML + CSS is invalid, maybe that's something to be fixed?

I still see the navigation on the left and page/discussion/edit/history and a google+ button but the page content itself is just missing (although I do see it when right click show source code).
Old 12-20-2011, 06:16 PM   #11
3guk

hmmm, thats very odd, I'm going to look into that now, can't understand why you would be having those issues - when it seems to work for most people.
Old 12-20-2011, 06:26 PM   #12
toddos
Guru
toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Nokia Lumia 920 (Freda)
The problem is this:

<div id="content-ad">

The body content is wrapped in a div with "-ad" in its name, which most ad blockers will trigger as an ad. If you're using Firefox and AdBlock Plus, you can look at the list of blockable items (ctrl+shift+v) and you'll see that there's a rule "###content-ad" coming from "Fanboy's List (English)". From there you can edit or disable the filter, but if you do so you'll probably start seeing legitimate ads elsewhere.

This is not unprecedented. Ars Technica did something similar a year or so ago (they called it an "experiment" and ran it for 12 hours, and then belittled all of the adblock users in the comments -- I haven't bothered going back to Ars since).

You might able to get around this by writing a custom user script that changes the class id, but depending on when that user script runs vs. when abp runs it may still block the content.

IMHO, sites that block content from adblock users are not worth my time, so I'm not going to put much effort into bypassing it right now.
toddos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 11:23 PM   #13
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
For the Ectaco "jetBook" and "jetBook Lite" as well as the Aluratek "Libra Pro":

To enter the diagnostics screen:
Reset the device. (Use a paperclip to press the button in the hole
on the back)
Then hold down three buttons.
They are: "on/off" "zoom" and "menu".
When you see the Logo screen let go of "on.off".
Keep holding the "zoom" and "menu" keys until you see a 16 item screen.
It's tricky, so it may take a couple of tries.

Then you can reflash the NOR Memory and restore the device to factory defaults.

After that is done reset the device, again.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 02:06 PM   #14
3guk

toddos, you legend, that was code left in there from when I was testing ad placement, had totally forgotten about it.

Should be fixed now and the site should work for everyone, even those with adblock !

Strange not of my browsers with adblock enabled caught that issue, I must be using out dated lists or something.
Old 12-21-2011, 02:09 PM   #15
frostschutz
Linux User

works fine now thanks