Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 10-20-2009, 11:08 AM   #106
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by brecklundin View Post
are they basing the sales numbers on NEW retail sales only? If not then I bet the demographics of USED book sales is different by a significant amount. Younger readers in that 15-25yr old range cannot afford new books like once you get your feet under you more. What does it mean if they are not considering used book purchases, including from used stores, yard sales, thrift shops...etc...there is a big segment of readers in that area...if you can buy 100 books/yr , read them then re-donate them back and get even a small tax deduction (or not as we aren't talking a lot of money there) but readers in this category recycle their libraries often in order to at least partially fund additional book purchases. Online book sellers really need to look at this demographic. I think Sony has with their "find a library" feature...others need to give more attention because the used market is a HUGE amount of lost sales to publishers.
is there any way of tracking that? outside of rare books, who would be keeping an inventory of sales of used books? I have an outstanding little used bookstore here where I live, the most organized, easy to use and helpful used bookstore I've ever been in. I seriously doubt they keep a record of all of the titles they sell. whenever I have asked for something, they have had to physically go and look as opposed to using any kind of a database. I know that they put stuff that they consider collectible into some kind of a record as they do a certain amount of online selling of rare books, but they don't track the average stuff
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 05:35 PM   #107
Stensie4JC
Book Diva
Stensie4JC began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
Looks like it does support epub.
Stensie4JC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 08:01 PM   #108
jaxx6166
Wizard
jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 350, iPad, PW
It's...beautiful. This is what I wanted my Kindle to look like.
Have we confirmed that they will be ePub?

Or is it going to use FW's proprietary format?
jaxx6166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 08:06 PM   #109
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxx6166 View Post
It's...beautiful. This is what I wanted my Kindle to look like.
Have we confirmed that they will be ePub?

Or is it going to use FW's proprietary format?

See this thread for tons more details:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59811
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 09:03 PM   #110
DD1509
Enthusiast
DD1509 doesn't litterDD1509 doesn't litter

Device: Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
Truly a chimera. Methinks I also saw a built in reading light at the top?
So far the built-in reading light appears on the CAD drawings. However, it is not metioned at all in the side-by-side feature listing that Gizmodo did. I guess we will have to wait and see.

DD
DD1509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 02:42 AM   #111
Lomez
Lomez began at the beginning.

Device: iPod touch, BeBook, Nokia N810
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean View Post
Is it THAT big of a deal in your private personal life -- or are you just hugging to principle?

I love the device-- which means I live with its shortcomings.
To each his own, certainly. But, still... It's a device, not a relationship.
Lomez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 02:45 AM   #112
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
is there any way of tracking that? outside of rare books, who would be keeping an inventory of sales of used books? I have an outstanding little used bookstore here where I live, the most organized, easy to use and helpful used bookstore I've ever been in. I seriously doubt they keep a record of all of the titles they sell. whenever I have asked for something, they have had to physically go and look as opposed to using any kind of a database. I know that they put stuff that they consider collectible into some kind of a record as they do a certain amount of online selling of rare books, but they don't track the average stuff
Actually our town's biggest and best stocked used bookstore has everything in a database. There does exist (Even Used & Rare) Bookstore Management applications. A lot of stores do not use it though because of the overhead involved to catalog all books already in the store as well as new books as they come in...but once everything is up to date, it's pretty fast. They can even use a bar-code scanner on newer books.

As for actually tracking the sales and such, I doubt it is possible at all. Anything would be pure guesstimation. But I will say, both publishers and new-book retail sellers want to do anything possible to drive used book stores out of business.

Makes me remember there is/was (I dunno if it is even still in business) but in San Luis Obispo, California, there was one of the best used book stores I have ever been in...wood floors with each flooring strip creaking from each step taken through the store...and that odor of a clean but used bookstore...a shame I don't get up there anymore...it might be closed down by now though, the property is just too valuable, even in today's economy.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 02:59 AM   #113
basschick
Wizard
basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
the nook site is live and the price is $259 - formats are:

* EPUB and eReader Formats
* PDFs load easily and look great.
* PDFs, MP3s and graphics load to your nook from your computer or micro SD card.
* Use JPEG, GIF, PNG, BMP files to create personal screensavers.

no text, rich text or html

lots of covers to choose from including a couple that don't use leather.

i wonder if the color screen can be turned off. after all, those of us who read on an ebook reader partly because of eyestrain - particular caused by refresh - may not want a little refreshing screen that's on while we're reading.

Last edited by basschick; 10-21-2009 at 03:07 AM.
basschick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 03:31 PM   #114
benham
Guru
benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, PRS-505 (BLUE)
How many font sizes and how many gray levels?
benham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 03:37 PM   #115
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
See: https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Nook

I think the number of font sizes depends on the ebook format..
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 03:53 PM   #116
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
See: https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Nook

I think the number of font sizes depends on the ebook format..
Probably so, I suspect 5 is the standard these days for Adobe stuff.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 06:56 PM   #117
wayrad
Fanatic
wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HTC One M8
I hope it doesn't have the 500-book limit that the Palm Ereader app does (not sure about other platforms). Of course, without folder support, 500 books would be a pain anyway. Still, I'm looking forward to seeing one when they hit the stores!
wayrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 07:26 PM   #118
Lomez
Lomez began at the beginning.

Device: iPod touch, BeBook, Nokia N810
Looks like Kindle owners will be crying an ocean of tears!

Here's a feature-by-feature comparison of the Nook and the Kindle 2:
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/nook/compare/

And, here's Wired magazine's take on it:
"Barnes & Noble Unveils Kindle-Killing, Dual-Screen ‘Nook’ E-Reader"
http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2009/...reader-leaked/
Lomez is offline   Reply With Quote