Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 04-05-2024, 05:55 PM   #1
Arconte
Enthusiast
Arconte began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx TUC
Isn't possible to connect a webcam?

Hi, I tried to connect a webcam via USB-C port, with and webcam I have, and didn't work. I even downloaded the tool a user of this forum created (sorry I don't remember the name of him) to go to developer options and let''s see if there I can chose a USB mode different than MTP, but there is only PTP, which is for pictures.

On internet one can find many people who does that with normal tablets, but maybe it is a problem with Onyx not implementing codecs or whatever. Can be my webcam model? Did anyone also tried?

Thanks
Arconte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2024, 01:17 AM   #2
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arconte View Post
... see if there I can chose a USB mode different than MTP, but there is only PTP, which is for pictures.
The MTP/PTP is for when the Android is peripheral.
You're dealing with when the Android is host.

I'm don't know if you're rooted and what permissions we're dealing with.
UsbMode.apk (in the sig) can show you under "View USB" what the USB tree looks like (if the permissions are there).
It can show if drivers are loaded with a check mark.
You probably don't have the UVC drivers to make a webcam work.
Renate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2024, 06:03 AM   #3
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
I found on my tablet that though VLC works a USB camera or capture device or DVB=T stick on Linux that on Android it only plays files or streams.

For Android
Any USB device that's a web cam or looks like one to Linux:
USB Camera App https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...roid.usbcamera
A DVB-T stick needs a driver and an application for Android.

I doubt a Web cam / USB camera or video of any kind works on an Onyx boox, or more than stutters.

Note that app needs hundreds of permissions / ads turned off (that's why there is a Pro version), but that's possible in at least Android 13. I've not tried it on other Android versions. Both a generic web cam and analogue video capture device worked.

Last edited by Quoth; 04-06-2024 at 06:06 AM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2024, 06:17 PM   #4
Arconte
Enthusiast

Well, I don't know who of us 3 would be the most surprised, but the webcam works perfectly with the USBcamera app. Still, it doesn't works on Teams nor Zoom. When I try to use Teams or Zoom, the working camera is the rear one on Tab Ultra C, and it seems it isn't aware of the USB camera.

I tried to use the UsbMode.apk to see which info gives me, but even being able to install it, it doesn't start. However, with USBcamera app I can see the webcam's location ( /dev/bus/usb/001/002 ).

I am wondering how I have to do to make this work. I am not root, so doesn't have the possibilities that it gives, but if it is reversible I can try to root it.

Maybe should I root it to see where the bult-in cam is (Do I really need root for that?), and knowing this, maybe there is the possibility to create some file to create a secondx built-in cam file that redirects to the usb webcam path? Just using imagination here, I have no idea if this could work, nor how to do that.x

What's are your opinions? I really need to have this worked out, as I use the Tab Ultra C as my main device
Old 04-09-2024, 07:49 PM   #5
dcarvil
Enthusiast
dcarvil began at the beginning.

Device: Boox Note Air 3
Quote:
Well, I don't know who of us 3 would be the most surprised, but the webcam works perfectly with the USBcamera app. Still, it doesn't works on Teams nor Zoom. When I try to use Teams or Zoom, the working camera is the rear one on Tab Ultra C, and it seems it isn't aware of the USB camera.

I tried to use the UsbMode.apk to see which info gives me, but even being able to install it, it doesn't start. However, with USBcamera app I can see the webcam's location ( /dev/bus/usb/001/002 ).

I am wondering how I have to do to make this work. I am not root, so doesn't have the possibilities that it gives, but if it is reversible I can try to root it.

Maybe should I root it to see where the bult-in cam is (Do I really need root for that?), and knowing this, maybe there is the possibility to create some file to create a secondx built-in cam file that redirects to the usb webcam path? Just using imagination here, I have no idea if this could work, nor how to do that.x

What's are your opinions? I really need to have this worked out, as I use the Tab Ultra C as my main device

I can't answer any of your other questions, but it is possible to reverse root by just flashing the stock boot.img or doing a complete uninstall from the Magisk Manager. This thread is an excellent guide to rooting, but you'll have to adjust the files for your device.

http://https://www.mobileread.com/fo...d.php?t=357269

Last edited by dcarvil; 04-09-2024 at 07:57 PM.
dcarvil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2024, 12:02 AM   #6
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm not familiar with that app, but it could be attaching to the web camera, using the raw USB data through a private lib to decode into video.
Old 04-12-2024, 04:42 PM   #7
eReader fan
Addict
eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.

Device: Onyx Nova pro and Hisense A2 pro
Wouldn't it be possible to install somehow the UVC drivers? Or to use the RAW data redirected somehow with the android system to detect it like a webcam?

Would the root help me somehow to solve this?
eReader fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2024, 02:17 AM   #8
Renate
Wizard

I'm not sure how you use a properly driver-ed UVC camera.
I've used custom USB devices with Android though.
That's just a question of grabbing an interface and using the endpoints.
You don't need to be rooted to take control of something that nobody cares about.
Of course you have to put in the XML in your app to say that you want this VID/PID.
Old 04-23-2024, 08:34 PM   #9
Arconte
Enthusiast

That would certainly be a interesting thing to do. Keep us informed of your results!
Old 04-26-2024, 07:01 AM   #10
Renate
Wizard

Quote:
That would certainly be a interesting thing to do. Keep us informed of your results!
Well, It's not really hot on my list of things to do.

Semi-related, I put a rearview camera on my Android navigation tablet.
To keep latency down I use a Raspberry Pi to serve up a raw H264 stream.
MediaPlayer can't play that directly so I wrapped up a MediaCodec.