Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-29-2023, 01:36 PM   #1
chrisridd
Guru
chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Kobo Aura ONE, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Kobo store price comparisons

I wrote a little perl script to help me find which Kobo "country" store gives the cheapest prices for a book. It might be helpful to others.

GitHub gist

To use it, find the book you're interested in on the store, and pass the entire URL to the script. e.g.

Code:
kobocompare https://www.kobo.com/us/en/ebook/alliance-rising-1
and wait a little bit.

I've hardcoded a set of currency conversions to GBP, which obviously could be improved by someone. Equally obviously it could check each store in parallel instead of one at a time. Patches welcome, as they say.
chrisridd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2023, 07:20 PM   #2
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Clara HD, Elipsa; Kindle Paperwhite 3 & 4; iOS eReader apps
That seems handy, but don’t you require a separate account for each Kobo store? I have one for Japan and another for the US and their accounts and libraries are separate. I’ve held off creating a Canadian account for that reason, though if I buy it cheap from Canada (they have more sales, the bums! Haha), I could always strip the DRM and sideload it into my US Kobo.

I’m curious how you utilize this script.
Cootey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2023, 10:49 PM   #3
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
You can "travel" on the Kobo store by changing your country and using PayPal so you don't have to enter a billing address.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2023, 05:00 AM   #4
chrisridd
Guru
chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Kobo's Japan store might be different, but so far I've successfully bought books from India, Switzerland, Spain, Turkey, Norway all by:
  1. Removing my payment details from my account
  2. Setting my "billing country" to the desired country
  3. Going to the relevant store
  4. Buying with PayPal, or credits on my account via a gift card
The Kobo apps are all able to download the purchased books.

Or in other words from experience Kobo's DRM just locks you to an account (an email address) and not a billing address/country/store.

Last edited by chrisridd; 12-02-2023 at 05:01 AM. Reason: formatting
Old 12-02-2023, 05:05 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisridd View Post
Kobo's Japan store might be different, but so far I've successfully bought books from India, Switzerland, Spain, Turkey, Norway all by:
  1. Removing my payment details from my account
  2. Setting my "billing country" to the desired country
  3. Going to the relevant store
  4. Buying with PayPal, or credits on my account via a gift card
The Kobo apps are all able to download the purchased books.

Or in other words from experience Kobo's DRM just locks you to an account (an email address) and not a billing address/country/store.
IMHO, it's best to get your eBooks as ePub which you can remove the DRM (if there is DRM), read as ePub, or convert to KePub to read.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2023, 05:06 AM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisridd View Post
I wrote a little perl script to help me find which Kobo "country" store gives the cheapest prices for a book. It might be helpful to others.

GitHub gist

To use it, find the book you're interested in on the store, and pass the entire URL to the script. e.g.

Code:
kobocompare https://www.kobo.com/us/en/ebook/alliance-rising-1
and wait a little bit.

I've hardcoded a set of currency conversions to GBP, which obviously could be improved by someone. Equally obviously it could check each store in parallel instead of one at a time. Patches welcome, as they say.
Could you please convert this to Python to run in calibre?
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2023, 10:39 AM   #7
chrisridd
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Could you please convert this to Python to run in calibre?
I'm not a Python programmer so unfortunately not. It might be a nice project for someone, maybe you could request it in the Calibre forum section?

Tags
price, store