Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 12-01-2021, 08:45 AM   #91
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
It's O-fish-al: https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/noo...=9780594149293
TLDR: December 8th, $150
Renate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 09:57 AM   #92
Ron100
Enthusiast
Ron100 knows what's going on.Ron100 knows what's going on.Ron100 knows what's going on.Ron100 knows what's going on.Ron100 knows what's going on.Ron100 knows what's going on.Ron100 knows what's going on.Ron100 knows what's going on.Ron100 knows what's going on.Ron100 knows what's going on.Ron100 knows what's going on.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Mini
Still don't understand why they won't ship internationally.
Ron100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-01-2021, 09:59 AM   #93
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Not waterproof

I still really want to see one though. I like the rounded edges. I wish the back had the indent like the ST had. The initial diagram made me hope there might be one.

Quote:
...with built-in glare- scratch- and fingerprint-resistant lens...
I wonder if that means anything, or if it is fancy phrasing for 'screen protector'?

Quote:
...32GB memory: 29.1 GB for NOOK Store content and side-loaded content...
They did learn!

Last edited by ZodWallop; 12-01-2021 at 10:04 AM.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 10:07 AM   #94
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron100 View Post
Still don't understand why they won't ship internationally.
Because they don't sell their ebooks internationally. Why, is anybody's guess.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 10:24 AM   #95
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Not waterproof
That's the first thing I noticed. I knew you're weren't going to be happy.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-01-2021, 10:28 AM   #96
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renate View Post
Thanks for the link.
Old 12-01-2021, 10:34 AM   #97
Ron100
Enthusiast
Ron100 knows what's going on.Ron100 knows what's going on.Ron100 knows what's going on.Ron100 knows what's going on.Ron100 knows what's going on.Ron100 knows what's going on.Ron100 knows what's going on.Ron100 knows what's going on.Ron100 knows what's going on.Ron100 knows what's going on.Ron100 knows what's going on.

On initial impressions, looks like a nice device.

I've always wanted to give Nook a go but denying most of the world the opportunity to purchase your products, smh.

Countries that Barnes & Noble cannot ship to:

Austria
Belgium
Bermuda
Brunei Darussalam
Bulgaria
Croatia
Cuba
Cyprus
Denmark
East Timor
Eritrea
Estonia
Finland
France (Includes Monaco)
France Metropolitan
French Guiana
French Polynesia
French Polynesia (Tahiti)
Germany
Greece
Guadeloupe
Hungary
Iran
Ireland
Israel
Italy
Laos
Latvia
Lithuania
Luxembourg
Malta
Martinique
Mauritius
Mongolia
Myanmar (Burma)
Netherlands
North Korea
Norway
Poland
Portugal
Reunion
Romania
Slovak Republic
Slovenia
Spain
Sweden
Syrian Arab Republic
Tajikistan
Turkmenistan
United Kingdom
Yemen
Old 12-01-2021, 10:39 AM   #98
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
On initial impressions, looks like a nice device.

I've always wanted to give Nook a go but denying most of the world the opportunity to purchase your products, smh.
GoodEReader sells Nooks and ships internationally (I bought my first and only Nook from them), but their prices are pretty hefty.
Old 12-01-2021, 10:52 AM   #99
Ron100
Enthusiast

Thanks but hell would freeze over before I used GoodEReader for anything.

If it turns out a decent device no doubt someone will be able to source them.
Old 12-01-2021, 10:56 AM   #100
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Thanks but hell would freeze over before I used GoodEReader for anything.

If it turns out a decent device no doubt someone will be able to source them.
I wouldn't be too sure, because few people are interested in Nooks outside the US. Still, who knows.

I bought mine also just from curiosity. The hardware is nice, the software not so much, unless your needs are very basic.
Old 12-01-2021, 11:23 AM   #101
Shadilly
Shadilly is kind to children and small, furry animalsShadilly is kind to children and small, furry animalsShadilly is kind to children and small, furry animalsShadilly is kind to children and small, furry animalsShadilly is kind to children and small, furry animalsShadilly is kind to children and small, furry animalsShadilly is kind to children and small, furry animalsShadilly is kind to children and small, furry animalsShadilly is kind to children and small, furry animalsShadilly is kind to children and small, furry animalsShadilly is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Libra 2,Clara HD, Glowlight Plus, Kindle Voyage
Other then the storage bump I’m not seeing much of a hardware upgrade over my 3/Plus. Maybe B&N has sourced some of the even lighting magic like Libra 2.

Nonetheless I’ll probably still buy it because I’m happy the Nook brand is still alive and kicking and also because I have an addiction.
Shadilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 11:32 AM   #102
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Why? Kobo and Kindle do the same.

They've been releasing updates to their software recently, introducing new things like the revised footer.

Adding features like more font sizes, the ability to add your own, changeable screensavers, these can all be done via software updates. Amazon did it with the Kindle.

I really hope that with the release of the 4, they will add some of these.
How many times has BN changed things like being able to change font size, line spacing, margins? And I don't mean rearranging the UI as to how to get to the settings.

I had one of the earlier Nooks(maybe a simple touch). But with the same old font controls, I'm not going back.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 11:35 AM   #103
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
How many times has BN changed things like being able to change font size, line spacing, margins? And I don't mean rearranging the UI as to how to get to the settings.
Well, one, this year. And they made it worse, if that's even possible. Now there are even fewer small and middle sizes than before.
Old 12-01-2021, 11:38 AM   #104
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renate View Post
So basically it's a Nook Glowlight 3, with more memory, a faster CPU, capacitive touch, USB-C and is lighter with smaller bezels. Looks like they added the extra memory to push the price point up $20 or $30 — If I remember right, the GL3 was introduced at $129 but dropped to $119 fairly quickly (or am I thinking of another Nook?).

For some reason the case reminds me of the Kobo Glo HD and the Touch HD, which I always liked. I think, though, if I was in the market for a new Nook, I would look for the GL3 on clearance (would probably be close to half the price for a refurbished one). I like the infrared touch screen better, 8GB of memory is fine (for me and the way I use an eReader), and I really don't care one way or the other on the USB-C port. I do like the smaller bezel on the GL4 (at least by sight) but not enough where I think an upgrade is necessary. The CPU on the GL3 is fast enough for me (but those who think the GL3 is too slow might want to look at the GL4). I hope the screen is the same quality as the GL3 (the capacitive touch has me a little worried — and I don't know how much the screen protector could influence clarity.

I do still want to see one though. Also looking forward to reviews on it.
Old 12-01-2021, 11:59 AM   #105
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

This quote from the B&N press release is encouraging (at least it is to me)...

Quote:
“Barnes & Noble is now investing significantly in our NOOK line of products. The GlowLight 4 is the second NOOK device to launch this year as we set about to bring a new family of devices to our customers and to reinvigorate NOOK in the coming months and years,” said Barnes & Noble CEO, James Daunt. “The team is working steadfastly to develop new NOOK products, and we are delighted to see such a strong pipeline of innovation into 2022.”
So maybe there's some other Nooks on the horizon.

Tags
nook