Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 09-24-2015, 02:29 PM   #1
tdonline
Addict
tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Nook Simple Touch
"Owning" BN books

I've only recently discovered BN no longer allows you to actually have possession of the ebooks you buy from them. I of course discovered this when I tried to transfer a book from my NST to my laptop.

I know there is a huge thread where there were solutions to get around this new policy. My understanding is those solutions no longer work. Have new solutions popped up? If so, please post in this thread so we have a dedicated thread to solutions for this issue?

I was already considering bolting from BN and this new policy really doesn't help! Why does BN insist on driving their Nook customers away?
tdonline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 04:20 PM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
My understanding is the solutions currently work. At least, Alf & Co. seem to think so.

The length of the thread you speak of probably doesn't help the confusion. But always go to Alf's website for the latest news on the DeDRM front, for the usual reasons.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-24-2015, 05:32 PM   #3
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
I have no trouble, but I'm transferring from an old version of the Nook App on an Android tablet. It's my understanding that the latest versions of the Nook App (and possibly the latest updates of Nook devices) now store files in a protected area of memory, accessible only if you've rooted the device. Is that your current problem?

Once you can access your files they can be liberated (if necessary) with Alf's help. The key(s) needed to be updated last year.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 09:38 PM   #4
tdonline
Addict
tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

My NST is not rooted. So does that mean, in order to get a hold of BN purchased books, I now have to root my NST?
Old 09-24-2015, 09:46 PM   #5
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Once again, go to Apprentice Alf's website and you will get all the answers you need.
Advert
Old 09-26-2015, 01:00 AM   #6
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdonline View Post
My NST is not rooted. So does that mean, in order to get a hold of BN purchased books, I now have to root my NST?
That I don't know -- these days I only download on my Android (with an older version of the Nook App) and then side-load onto my Nook ST (or any of my other readers).
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 08:59 AM   #7
cgsmom
Addict
cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook GL4+, Nook GL4e, Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle PW4, iPhone 14
I have Nook for PC and Nook Study on my Windows 7 computer and they are still working for me. I had to get a new key last year to Alf my books, but so far it still works. I no longer buy any books from BN, but I still take the free friday books if they are interesting. I know BN no longer lists Nook for PC or Nook Study on their website. Not sure how you could get them if you don't already have them.
cgsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 05:22 PM   #8
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Assuming you have a Windows computer, you'll need a copy of Nook Study to generate the key Alf needs. I don't think Nook for PC does that since B&N changed their keys.

B&N no longer offers Nook Study though. It's been archived elsewhere, though I'm not sure where. Good luck.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 07:14 PM   #9
tdonline
Addict

Yes, which is why I noted that the original solutions were no longer effective. That's what I understand also--that BN changed things up and Alf's solutions are no longer workable for newbies.

I'm definitely putting BN purchases on hold if there isn't a way for me to download and back up my books. I can't believe BN puts their customers in this bind. They really don't want their business to do well, do they?
Old 09-30-2015, 07:22 PM   #10
Hemmi
Grand Sorcerer
Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sonys, Nooks, Kobo Libra, Forma, Mini, Paperwhite
Alf's solutions do still work, I just tried it on a free ebook and was able to download it via Nook for PC and then import it into Calibre just fine.

You will need Nook Study to generate the key you need and Alf does have a link to it last I checked.
Hemmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 09:36 PM   #11
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
B&N no longer offers Nook Study though. It's been archived elsewhere, though I'm not sure where. Good luck.
Pretty sure there's a link on Alf's site and Nate has a copy on his blog as well.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 09:40 PM   #12
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdonline View Post
Yes, which is why I noted that the original solutions were no longer effective. That's what I understand also--that BN changed things up and Alf's solutions are no longer workable for newbies.

I'm definitely putting BN purchases on hold if there isn't a way for me to download and back up my books. I can't believe BN puts their customers in this bind. They really don't want their business to do well, do they?
Which part of my post #2 eluded you?

For the crying-out-loud-last-time just go to alf's website for crying out loud and download the stupid tools and read the stupid instructions instead of having a panic attack here on MobileRead where we aren't allowed to discuss the tools!! (!!!)

A completely erroneous panic attack, mind you. One caused by your absolute refusal to go to the website where the tools are actually hosted, despite being repeatedly told that only Alf can authoritatively say if Alf's tools will still Alf your books and despite being told by everyone that THE TOOLS STILL WORK FOR THEM!

And with that, I will leave this thread. I have no more patience for this Sisyphean struggle.
Old 09-30-2015, 10:23 PM   #13
tdonline
Addict

Lol, no one is having a panic attack.

I drop in and out of this thread, mainly to avoid doing dreaded work. I have had a look at Alf's page--one of these when I can devote a good chunk of time to it, I'll go through the process. I have the tools as I use Calibre. I just have to figure out the Nook part of it.

Now back to procrastinating on a deadline...
Old 10-01-2015, 01:00 AM   #14
Difflugia
Testate Amoeba
Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Many Android devices, Kindle 2, Toshiba e755 PocketPC
NOOKStudy can still be downloaded from B&N servers here.

NOOK for PC is still available here.

The README from the latest tools will tell you how to transfer books from your NST without rooting or anything. The rooting is only necessary for the latest Android app, which is a slightly modified version of the software from the NOOK HD. Both store books in /data/data/ instead of in the SD Card partition.

Barnes & Noble is still my primary source for ebooks and I typically buy one or two books a week. The loss of the download link and DRM key change made me mad and they seem hell-bent on going out of business, but even so, I still have fewer problems with B&N than other retailers.
Difflugia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 12:26 PM   #15
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Difflugia View Post
Barnes & Noble is still my primary source for ebooks and I typically buy one or two books a week. The loss of the download link and DRM key change made me mad and they seem hell-bent on going out of business, but even so, I still have fewer problems with B&N than other retailers.
Funny. I love my Nook, but I buy my books from Amazon as I'm afraid that at any minute the other shoe will drop.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote