Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-18-2024, 08:57 PM   #1
tomtomtom
tomtomtom began at the beginning.

Device: none
Best use of link to describe image for visually impaired

Hello,
I hope this is the correct forum to post this question.

I have several images in an ebook that need a longer description than an alt tag. I have made a long description area. The link to that long description is at the bottom of the image. It says "More information." But that does not seem like a good idea. For those who can see adequately it might confuse them to click on it. I am trying to think of a good link name and perhaps people here already have a good one.

"Information for visually impaired"?
"Description for visually impaired"?
"Image described"?

These don't strike me as adequate.

Thanks,
Tom
tomtomtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2024, 09:14 PM   #2
Karellen
Wizard
Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
I'd be inclined to follow what is done for video media. Here are tags used...
Personally I like "Description for visually impaired"
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	visualimpaired.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	208368  
Karellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-18-2024, 09:18 PM   #3
tomtomtom
tomtomtom began at the beginning.

Device: none
Hi Karellen,
I am not sure what those tags mean.
Tom
tomtomtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:01 PM   #4
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtomtom View Post
Hello,
I hope this is the correct forum to post this question.

I have several images in an ebook that need a longer description than an alt tag. I have made a long description area. The link to that long description is at the bottom of the image. It says "More information." But that does not seem like a good idea. For those who can see adequately it might confuse them to click on it. I am trying to think of a good link name and perhaps people here already have a good one.

"Information for visually impaired"?
"Description for visually impaired"?
"Image described"?

These don't strike me as adequate.

Thanks,
Tom

Screen-reader accessible text available?

Textual description for visually impaired?

Or maybe,

Text description of this image?
Image described by text?

*More* information definitely doesn't feel quite right. The image is giving the sighted user information, while a long description in text is meant to deliver the *same* information to the visually impaired reader.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote