Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 05-30-2023, 05:59 PM   #1
christianbk
Connoisseur
christianbk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.christianbk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.christianbk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.christianbk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.christianbk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.christianbk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.christianbk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.christianbk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.christianbk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.christianbk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.christianbk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: At least one of each brand
GlowLight 4 Plus

A Redditor snapped this picture of in-store signage of the new GlowLight 4 Plus.

https://www.reddit.com/r/nook/commen...s_coming_soon/

Link of photo

It's... a larger GlowLight 4 Includes a recessed screen (what about the soft touch finish on the front bezel?!) and still has a headphone jack (as well as bluetooth) for, assuming, audiobook functionality. I tried B&N audiobooks and it's OK. It's $5 more per month than Kobo's audiobook subscription, and they do not have any kind of Kobo Plus equivalent. Plus I'm just not sold on audiobook listening via the device vs. your phone.

"See a Bookseller to pre-order" yet nothing on bn.com about it yet.
christianbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2023, 06:15 PM   #2
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Basically the same as the 2019 Glowlight Plus, only the storage is 32 GB instead of 8 GB. But then, the storage of this new Nook is probably partitioned.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-30-2023, 06:18 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Does the nook software no longer have hyphenation? I don't see any hyphenation in the photo for any of the nooks.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 05:14 AM   #4
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Basically the same as the 2019 Glowlight Plus, only the storage is 32 GB instead of 8 GB. But then, the storage of this new Nook is probably partitioned.
I think this is the first Nook that has the ability to play audio books. But you're probably right about the memory partitioning.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 10:37 AM   #5
cgsmom
Addict
cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook GL4+, Nook GL4e, Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle PW4, iPhone 14
The sign says "Flush Front Screen" under the Glowlight 4 Plus. I think that is a big deal. I love a flush screen. I also like buttons on both sides.
cgsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-31-2023, 11:11 AM   #6
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
Looks like the old model. I was hoping for a smaller bezel and a more upgraded look
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 11:15 AM   #7
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I think this is the first Nook that has the ability to play audio books. But you're probably right about the memory partitioning.

It didn't. yet it had bluetooth to connect your earbuds which was worthless lol i think all they had to listen to is podcasts? but mine has no audiobook support
Old 05-31-2023, 03:01 PM   #8
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Does the nook software no longer have hyphenation? I don't see any hyphenation in the photo for any of the nooks.
That went away a few updates back. Stupid decision if you ask me.

But credit where credit is due: Nook (or RMSDK anyway) does a pretty good job of spacing without hyphenation. Better than Kobo's kepub defaults.

I really with Nook had some sort of feedback team. Nook's software really should be pretty good. But it's like the death of a thousand cuts. They support shelves and series. But not for sideloaded. They arbitrarily turned off hyphenation. They partition their storage. You can't add custom fonts. Each is small. But they snowball.

Last edited by ZodWallop; 05-31-2023 at 03:03 PM.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 03:39 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
That went away a few updates back. Stupid decision if you ask me.

But credit where credit is due: Nook (or RMSDK anyway) does a pretty good job of spacing without hyphenation. Better than Kobo's kepub defaults.

I really with Nook had some sort of feedback team. Nook's software really should be pretty good. But it's like the death of a thousand cuts. They support shelves and series. But not for sideloaded. They arbitrarily turned off hyphenation. They partition their storage. You can't add custom fonts. Each is small. But they snowball.
You cannot compare KePub to RMSDK. But how does RMSDK (nook) compare to RMSDK (Kobo)?
Old 05-31-2023, 03:52 PM   #10
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
You cannot compare KePub to RMSDK. But how does RMSDK (nook) compare to RMSDK (Kobo)?
I believe they're pretty much the same.
Old 05-31-2023, 04:47 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
I believe they're pretty much the same.
CareInk6SP (with the smaller space) works very well in RMSDK to help avoid the large gaps because of the smaller space. This would help a lot with the nook (because of no hyphenation). I don't know if the current nook firmware allows custom fonts or you have to embed them.
Old 05-31-2023, 05:10 PM   #12
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
CareInk6SP (with the smaller space) works very well in RMSDK to help avoid the large gaps because of the smaller space. This would help a lot with the nook (because of no hyphenation). I don't know if the current nook firmware allows custom fonts or you have to embed them.
No custom fonts. RMSDK handles word spacing pretty well even without hyphenation. Better than the kepub reader with the word spacing patch.
Old 06-01-2023, 09:18 AM   #13
HLS
Wizard

I will probably get one even tho I hardly use my nooks. I am curious about it and the store will most likely not have a demo out. buying nooks from the sore is like pulling teeth. Their employees are useless and have no knowledge of the product they sell
Old 06-01-2023, 10:11 AM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLS View Post
I will probably get one even tho I hardly use my nooks. I am curious about it and the store will most likely not have a demo out. buying nooks from the sore is like pulling teeth. Their employees are useless and have no knowledge of the product they sell
That's OK, the people in charge of the firmware have no idea how make a good firmware and what features should be there.
Old 06-01-2023, 01:49 PM   #15
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HLS View Post
My store has gotten better since their redesign. They have a Glowlight 4e and they have a pink and pearl Glowlight 4 (that looks really nice, nicer than I thought it would).

It's kind of tucked away by the greeting cards, but at least it is up to date and the devices are powered on.

When I worked at B&N years ago, online and brick and mortar were two separate businesses and Nook kinda falls in between. I wonder if that is part of the problem?
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote