Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 03-01-2023, 02:26 AM   #1
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
I've "liberated" my Nook books

Now I can buy books from Barnes & Noble again and not feel "trapped."

(See how that works, B&N?)
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2023, 08:27 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
Now I can buy books from Barnes & Noble again and not feel "trapped."

(See how that works, B&N?)
How did you manage to do this?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-01-2023, 08:49 AM   #3
Musicman
Evangelist
Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: EZ-Reader - Samsung Nook's- Nook S/T w/Glow - Kindle Fire - Nova 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
How did you manage to do this?
The same way as usual.....

I have been able to do this for a while since I updated all my software....
Musicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2023, 09:36 AM   #4
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
I thought that stopped working a while ago? Where would you get the key?

Guess it doesn't matter now since I'm buying my books from Kobo. But it would be nice to know. (I was in a B&N the other day and the Pearll Pink Glowlight 4 was a tempting bit of hardware.)
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2023, 10:41 AM   #5
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
I was shopping around a bit for a book recently and didn't even bother with B&N due to their usage limitations -- so, they lost a sale here before it was even considered.
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-02-2023, 10:58 AM   #6
Gardenman
Wizard
Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350,Nook HD+, Kindle 2nd gen, kindle keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I thought that stopped working a while ago? Where would you get the key?

Guess it doesn't matter now since I'm buying my books from Kobo. But it would be nice to know. (I was in a B&N the other day and the Pearll Pink Glowlight 4 was a tempting bit of hardware.)

I would like to know too.
Gardenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2023, 09:29 AM   #7
Patchicat
Enthusiast
Patchicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patchicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patchicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patchicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patchicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patchicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patchicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patchicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patchicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patchicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patchicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Tablet; Nook HD+; Nook Samsung Tab 3
I just purchased four books yesterday from Barnes & Noble. When I opened my Nook for PC app, they weren't there, and I can't find any way to get them to show up. Any suggestions?

Thanks.
Patchicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2023, 11:39 AM   #8
Musicman
Evangelist
Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patchicat View Post
I just purchased four books yesterday from Barnes & Noble. When I opened my Nook for PC app, they weren't there, and I can't find any way to get them to show up. Any suggestions?

Thanks.
The Nook for PC App stopped working a while ago.

You need to download the Windows Nook App.
Old 03-03-2023, 07:42 PM   #9
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patchicat View Post

Thanks.
If you're talking about the newest Nook App from the Windows store, I also had that issue on one book. It was available immediately in the browser but didn't show up in the Nook App. I had to find the sync button, when I clicked it the book showed up and I was able to download it. I'm not crazy about the interface on this Windows App. I just move my mouse around in different areas of the screen (click every now and then) until I find "hidden" choices. For me there's no rhyme or reason to it, but I don't use Windows and this first time I installed anything from the Windows store, so zero experience. You just have to be persistent. An old style menu would be a better way of doing it (in my opinion anyway).
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2023, 10:52 AM   #10
Patchicat
Enthusiast
Patchicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patchicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patchicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patchicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patchicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patchicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patchicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patchicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patchicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patchicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patchicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Tablet; Nook HD+; Nook Samsung Tab 3
I solved the issue by uninstalling the installed app and downloading it again. The books showed up immediately. Of course, I had to redownload all my books, all 1,797 of them, and go through the process of importing them into Calibre again (skipping the duplicates). 'Twas a hassle. There's a reason I'm working on getting away from using Barnes & Noble as my sole source of books. Which is only complicated by the fact that I dislike Amazon as a source of digital books.
Patchicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2023, 11:11 AM   #11
Musicman
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I just move my mouse around in different areas of the screen (click every now and then) until I find "hidden" choices..
You can access the hidden choices from the top menu...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot (5).jpg
Views:	161
Size:	13.2 KB
ID:	200124  
Old 03-20-2023, 04:03 PM   #12
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Just bought my first B&N books in a while, using the free Xfinity gift card from the Deals thread.

I can confirm that a couple of the downloaded ePubs could not be opened by Sigil due to DRM. But after importing to Calibre, they are DRM-free. So the DRM tools are working.

Incidentally, after buying the books, they didn't show up in the Nook app until I specifically clicked Sync (bottom right, three dots...).
Old 04-30-2023, 01:43 AM   #13
Gardenman
Wizard
Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Where do the books go when you down load them?

Last edited by Gardenman; 04-30-2023 at 10:21 AM.
Old 04-30-2023, 03:18 PM   #14
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardenman View Post
Where do the books go when you down load them?
Oh man, yeah. It is a headache to find them.

Check (make sure Hidden Items is checked):

Code:
C:\Users\YOUR USER NAME\AppData\Local\Packages\BarnesNoble.Nook_ahnzqzva31enc\LocalState
The ePubs will be in there. They use ISBNs as the file names.
Old 05-01-2023, 11:00 AM   #15
Gardenman
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Oh man, yeah. It is a headache to find them.

Check (make sure Hidden Items is checked):

Code:
C:\Users\YOUR USER NAME\AppData\Local\Packages\BarnesNoble.Nook_ahnzqzva31enc\LocalState
The ePubs will be in there. They use ISBNs as the file names.

Thanks ZodWallop I found them