Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 09-26-2023, 10:30 AM   #1
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Downgrade Glowlight 3?

I see on the XDA forum that folks have links to various versions of Glowlight 3 firmware downloads. I would like to "downgrade" my Glowlight 3 and Glowlight Plus (6") to a version that still has hyphens and reasonable font sizes. One of the Glowlight 3s is on 49.2.36 firmware (I believe) and it has hyphens and better sized fonts selections – but if there is newer firmware (like 50.x.x) that still has the hyphens, that might be better.

Now the really dumb questions. I have firmware downloaded. Do I just open the file and copy everything to the root directory of the Glowlights? Then just reboot? Or there a special procedure for doing this?

Once I've "downgraded" (if I can manage that) is there a way to keep the Nook from upgrading automatically? — which would allow me to sync with Nook while keeping the older firmware. It seems like you have to give the Nook permission to upgrade, but I'm not positive about that. Right now I've got two Glowlight 3s, one I keep on the older software and don't sync it, and the other I use for downloading my books — but I would just as soon get down to one Glowlight 3.

Sorry to ask dumb questions. I've been going over the information on XDA, but they're more interested in TWRP (?) and rooting, etc. — I just want to get back to hyphens and a decent font size.

Thanks for any pointers or information.

EDIT: I guess I have one more dumb question. Will these update files just update or will they reset everything and make me re-register (and update?) when I sync with B&N?

Last edited by rcentros; 09-26-2023 at 10:34 AM.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2023, 12:52 PM   #2
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
I have no idea, but if it works, I would like to downgrade my 2015 Glowlight Plus to have hyphens again.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2023, 05:23 PM   #3
nmyshkin
Enthusiast
nmyshkin can extract oil from cheesenmyshkin can extract oil from cheesenmyshkin can extract oil from cheesenmyshkin can extract oil from cheesenmyshkin can extract oil from cheesenmyshkin can extract oil from cheesenmyshkin can extract oil from cheesenmyshkin can extract oil from cheese

Device: Nook Simple Touch (2), Nook Simple Touch w/Glowlight (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
Once I've "downgraded" (if I can manage that) is there a way to keep the Nook from upgrading automatically? — which would allow me to sync with Nook while keeping the older firmware.
Maybe.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/n.../post-84534667
nmyshkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2023, 09:53 PM   #4
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I have no idea, but if it works, I would like to downgrade my 2015 Glowlight Plus to have hyphens again.
I've got older firmware downloaded, but I don't know how to install it. I've read on XDA that this is "easy," but I guess it's so easy that they assumed everyone would know how it was done. Like you I would really like the hyphens back, plus a reasonable selection of font sizes – like the ones they replaced.

I may have to open an account at XDA and ask there. But they were always talking about upgrading, not sure if downgrading is feasible, since when you register your Nook, they will probably try to replace your firmware with the upgrade firmware. I don't know if there is any way to avoid that.
Old 09-30-2023, 10:05 PM   #5
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
I've got older firmware downloaded, but I don't know how to install it. I've read on XDA that this is "easy," but I guess it's so easy that they assumed everyone would know how it was done. Like you I would really like the hyphens back, plus a reasonable selection of font sizes – like the ones they replaced.

I may have to open an account at XDA and ask there. But they were always talking about upgrading, not sure if downgrading is feasible, since when you register your Nook, they will probably try to replace your firmware with the upgrade firmware. I don't know if there is any way to avoid that.
I was in the same situation with my Nook as you - I wanted to downgrade after an update messed up the contrast. I didn't find any way to do it. XDA was useless for an Android noob like me - it seems to be mostly for various developers who know Android as well as the back of their hand. In the end I gave up and sold my Nook. I hope you'll be luckier; please post here if you find a (relatively simple) way to downgrade that doesn't require any coding knowledge.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2023, 12:26 PM   #6
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
I was in the same situation with my Nook as you - I wanted to downgrade after an update messed up the contrast. I didn't find any way to do it. XDA was useless for an Android noob like me - it seems to be mostly for various developers who know Android as well as the back of their hand. In the end I gave up and sold my Nook. I hope you'll be luckier; please post here if you find a (relatively simple) way to downgrade that doesn't require any coding knowledge.
I will definitely pass along any information I find. I haven't written anything at XDA yet but I still plan to do so. I also have trouble deciphering all the terms they use — mostly tech shorthand. Definitely geared towards those who understand Android development. But they do know how to manually download the old Nook firmware (and there are links), so that's a step in the right direction. I think something called TWRP let's you restore an image. But I'm not even sure about that. And, if it does, can you register (to use) your Nook offline without being forced to update – which would just be an endless loop.

I'll let you know what I find.
Old 10-02-2023, 02:48 PM   #7
nmyshkin
Enthusiast
nmyshkin can extract oil from cheesenmyshkin can extract oil from cheesenmyshkin can extract oil from cheesenmyshkin can extract oil from cheesenmyshkin can extract oil from cheesenmyshkin can extract oil from cheesenmyshkin can extract oil from cheesenmyshkin can extract oil from cheese

Device: Nook Simple Touch (2), Nook Simple Touch w/Glowlight (2)
Quote:
And, if it does, can you register (to use) your Nook offline without being forced to update – which would just be an endless loop.
I've been thinking about this a little (I don't own a GL3). I'm sure it's possible to do a factory reset and then manually update to the desired firmware. The problem, as you have indicated, will be with registration. There is no way to register a device offline. But can you register before an update is forced on you? That's the problem. If it were possible, and IF the possible "fix" for OTA which I indicated above actually works, you'd have the end result you desire.
nmyshkin is offline   Reply With Quote