Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 09-12-2023, 11:39 AM   #1
Cactus Chef
Addict
Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Clara HD, Galaxy Tab S5e, Kindle 4th Gen
Do any models other than the Nook Glowlight 4 Plus have a flush screen?

Potentially getting a new Nook for my wife in the coming months to replace her aging Kindle PaperWhite. She likes the flush screen of her Kindle, and is worried that hair/dust will get in the gaps of the recessed screen on normal models (she might have been biased my complaints about the same w/ my Kobo Clara HD, before I got a Sage).

When we looked in-store, it seemed like the Glowlight 4 Plus was the only option for a flush screen. The 4 Plus looks great, but she prefers the 6" form factor, as her Kindle usually travels with her in her purse.
Cactus Chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2023, 12:45 PM   #2
gforgiraffe39935
Connoisseur
gforgiraffe39935 can extract oil from cheesegforgiraffe39935 can extract oil from cheesegforgiraffe39935 can extract oil from cheesegforgiraffe39935 can extract oil from cheesegforgiraffe39935 can extract oil from cheesegforgiraffe39935 can extract oil from cheesegforgiraffe39935 can extract oil from cheesegforgiraffe39935 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Nook, Kobo, Kindle
The 2015 Nook GlowLight Plus is 6 inches.
Pros:
- has a flush screen
- 300 ppi
Cons:
- the GlowLight is NOT warm light (only blue light)
- from 2015, so no Nook audiobooks

It is similar to the Nook GlowLight 4 Plus in that it also has a "touch-based" N home button. The N home button is much more responsive than the NGL4P.

The 2015 NGLP 6 inch can be purchased secondhand for $30-60 USD.

I recommend it and still use mine today. It is the 4 GB model, with approximately 2.8GB available for adding books. Like all NOOK devices with 300 ppi, the screen is impeccably sharp, even though the screen is flush.
gforgiraffe39935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2023, 02:38 PM   #3
Cactus Chef
Addict
Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gforgiraffe39935 View Post
The 2015 Nook GlowLight Plus is 6 inches.
Pros:
- has a flush screen
- 300 ppi
Cons:
- the GlowLight is NOT warm light (only blue light)
- from 2015, so no Nook audiobooks

It is similar to the Nook GlowLight 4 Plus in that it also has a "touch-based" N home button. The N home button is much more responsive than the NGL4P.

The 2015 NGLP 6 inch can be purchased secondhand for $30-60 USD.

I recommend it and still use mine today. It is the 4 GB model, with approximately 2.8GB available for adding books. Like all NOOK devices with 300 ppi, the screen is impeccably sharp, even though the screen is flush.
Yikes! Might be a bit of a backpedal to switch her away from a 2019 Paperwhite to a 2015 Nook.

Why did they move away from the flush screen if they had it previously?
Old 09-12-2023, 02:48 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I think you'd be best to get your wife a new Kindle PW5. It's a flush screen and she's already used to using a Kindle. Plus it's a 6.8" screen.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2023, 03:24 PM   #5
Cactus Chef
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I think you'd be best to get your wife a new Kindle PW5. It's a flush screen and she's already used to using a Kindle. Plus it's a 6.8" screen.
I mean, the endgoal is to try to support competition for Amazon, but ideally without making it feel like she's having to make a big sacrifice in doing so...
Old 09-12-2023, 05:12 PM   #6
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus Chef View Post
I mean, the endgoal is to try to support competition for Amazon, but ideally without making it feel like she's having to make a big sacrifice in doing so...
If 6'' and a flush screen are a must, then you're out of luck. There don't seem to be any recent Kobos, Nooks or Pocketbooks with those specs. Perhaps an Onyx, if your wife can cope with Android OS on her ereader.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2023, 05:27 PM   #7
The_Enobee
The_Enobee began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
To answer the original question, of the current Nook fleet, only the Glowlight 4 Plus has the flush screen. I have both the GL4 and GL4 Plus, and I would say if being able to carry this easily in a small bag is the primary use case, that the GL4 would definitely be preferred despite not having a flush face. The GL4 Plus is great (sharp screen, great page turn buttons, great battery life for the size), but it is much larger and heavier. I think GL4 weighs 6 ounces vs 10 ounces for the Plus.

In any case, if you all are premium members at B&N, that's 10% off any Nook and awards bonuses can also be applied to Nooks. So depending on B&N usage and benefits, the Nooks can be had at a decent discount.
The_Enobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2023, 09:23 PM   #8
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus Chef View Post
You might want to look at a PocketBook Era. It has a 7" screen (not 6"), but it is flush. I think the last 6" eReader with a flush screen was the Tolino Vision HD 4.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote