Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 02-07-2023, 12:24 PM   #1
christianbk
Connoisseur
christianbk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.christianbk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.christianbk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.christianbk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.christianbk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.christianbk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.christianbk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.christianbk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.christianbk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.christianbk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.christianbk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: At least one of each brand
Firmware Update 8.1.3.141

My GlowLight 4 was updated overnight to this update version.

The screen said it provides the following (attachment for the specific language is included):
  • Frequently Asked Questions added to Support section of the Settings screen.
  • Custom sorting for shelves.
  • Search notes and annotations.
  • Bug fixes and performance improvements.

The FAQ section works, but it's a little finicky and weird. Custom sorting is neat but it looks pretty messy with how they implemented it. Picture of that is attached. The search for notes / annotations across all books is nice and I can confirm works for at least highlighted passages across both purchased NOOK content as well as sideloaded ePubs.

And a note: Good e-Reader cannot use these images in any of their news content, as they have in the past with images I've posted and shared about NOOK firmware updates.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	nook-8-1.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	775.1 KB
ID:	199561   Click image for larger version

Name:	nook-shelving.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	901.0 KB
ID:	199562  
christianbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 11:13 PM   #2
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Oh, I wonder if my Glowlight Plus (2015) will get an update?

I wish they would bring back hyphenation. That didn't happen, did it?
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-08-2023, 02:30 AM   #3
nick84
Enthusiast
nick84 began at the beginning.

Device: KA2, KH2O2, KAOne, Nook4, KMini, PW5, K11, KV
Got a feeling it works even slower than before the update. When I turn it on there is blank screen and it takes few seconds for the book to appear. I wish it had Kobo software.
nick84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 10:04 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick84 View Post
Got a feeling it works even slower than before the update. When I turn it on there is blank screen and it takes few seconds for the book to appear. I wish it had Kobo software.
You can run Kobo software. Just buy a Kobo and put the nook in the closet.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 04:10 PM   #5
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You can run Kobo software. Just buy a Kobo and put the nook in the closet.
I have a Kobo and yeah, the software is much better in many ways. Yet I still find myself reading on my Nooks.The hardware tends to be more my style and the default layout works better than Kobo does. Once I am in a book, a Nook is as nice as a Kobo.
Advert
Old 02-08-2023, 06:16 PM   #6
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I have a Kobo and yeah, the software is much better in many ways. Yet I still find myself reading on my Nooks.The hardware tends to be more my style and the default layout works better than Kobo does. Once I am in a book, a Nook is as nice as a Kobo.
Face it, you just like old stuff

I'm the opposite. When I've bought a new reader, I usually no longer want to use the older ones. I'm not much of a fan of old movies and books either (there are exceptions, but not many). As to Nooks, I never got used to the lack of customization options, and I don't mean only UI, but also layout and text options. I just never got the text to look like I wanted it to look. But then, not everyone is as fussy.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 08:25 PM   #7
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
And the Nook Glowlight 3's warm screen is, in my opinion, the best ever made. I keep hoping hyphenation and the full range of font sizes they used to have would come back. So far no luck. (So I read with the GL3 that never got updated.)

Last edited by rcentros; 02-08-2023 at 08:31 PM. Reason: Typo. Replaced "wold" with "would"
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 09:45 PM   #8
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Face it, you just like old stuff
It's true. Sometimes I wonder what would have happened if I never broke the screen on my original Nook ST with Glowlight. I do have a replacement and while I mostly read on my Clara, you'd be surprised how much I still read on the old Nook ST.

Quote:
I'm the opposite. When I've bought a new reader, I usually no longer want to use the older ones. I'm not much of a fan of old movies and books either (there are exceptions, but not many).
Oh man! Old movies are so, SO much better than modern ones. They started going downhill in the nineties when movie making was taken over by the bean counters.

And my favorite thing about ebooks has been the ability for midlist authors to bring their old, OOP books back into print.
Old 02-08-2023, 11:27 PM   #9
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Oh man! Old movies are so, SO much better than modern ones. They started going downhill in the nineties when movie making was taken over by the bean counters.
It's true that 99% of modern movies are basically forgettable trash. But still, when a modern movie is good, I usually prefer it to a good old movie. I just don't really "click" with the old stuff. I'm also not the kind of person who thinks the grass was greener in my youth. No hankering for the good old days for me.
Old 02-09-2023, 12:12 PM   #10
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
I'm also not the kind of person who thinks the grass was greener in my youth. No hankering for the good old days for me.
I'm not that guy either. Living in the future is the best. TV is so much better than it used to be. I'm just not willing to throw out gems like The Twilight Zone, Alfred Hitchcock Presents or I Love Lucy.

With books, I don't think they are any better or worse old vs. new. Both had good and bad.

Movies are the one thing that have gotten worse over time. The first three 'blockbusters' were The Godfather, Jaws and Star Wars. The three current or most recent are Avatar 2, Top Gun 2 and Black Panther 2. And then there's all the smaller movies.

I'm not saying no new movies are good. But what used to be exploitation movies and been amped up with huge budgets and slick special effects and have taken over as the predominant form of entertainment. And mostly they just aren't worth watching (to me).
Old 02-09-2023, 01:46 PM   #11
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I'm not saying no new movies are good. But what used to be exploitation movies and been amped up with huge budgets and slick special effects and have taken over as the predominant form of entertainment. And mostly they just aren't worth watching (to me).
I hear ya on that and agree completely. I seldom watch movies at all, preferring TV series - many of which, as you said, are excellent; and over them, of course books.
Old 02-09-2023, 07:08 PM   #12
christianbk
Connoisseur
christianbk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.christianbk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.christianbk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.christianbk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.christianbk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.christianbk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.christianbk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.christianbk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.christianbk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.christianbk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.christianbk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

This update hasn't hit my GlowLight Plus (2019) NOOK device yet, despite prompting it to download an update.
Old 02-10-2023, 03:04 PM   #13
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

I'm out of state for the weekend, so can't check if my 2015 Plus or Glowlight 3 have access.
Old 02-12-2023, 04:01 PM   #14
christianbk
Connoisseur

Ever since updating, whenever I wake up my device, it starts at the home screen. This is even when I sleep my device in the middle of a book, as I often do. It’s infuriating.
Old 02-13-2023, 07:03 AM   #15
token_01
token_01 began at the beginning.

Device: Several
The page turn buttons on my (rooted) device no longer work. Tried a soft reset, no dice. Any solutions?
token_01 is offline   Reply With Quote