Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 01-14-2023, 05:06 PM   #1
Patchicat
Enthusiast
Patchicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patchicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patchicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patchicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patchicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patchicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patchicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patchicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patchicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patchicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patchicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Tablet; Nook HD+; Nook Samsung Tab 3
Lenovo 10" Nook Troubleshooting (Nook not responding)

Last night (13 January 2023), I plugged in my Nook to charge it. This afternoon, when I picked it up to read, I got the message, "B&N Nook keeps stopping" with the options of "App info", "Close app", and "Send feedback". Closing the app does not do anything. The message keeps popping up. If I choose "App info" I can force a stop or disable it. If I force a stop, the message continues to pop up.

I've restarted the tablet numerous times. The tablet has updated. I haven't been able to find any troubleshooting advice online to help with this issue. Yes, I'm annoyed, as I use this tablet rather exclusively for reading.

Any suggestions on how to resolve this issue?

Thanks.
Patchicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2023, 06:20 PM   #2
Patchicat
Enthusiast
Patchicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patchicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patchicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patchicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patchicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patchicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patchicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patchicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patchicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patchicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patchicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

UPDATE: After force stopping the app and leaving the tablet alone for a while, it finally began working again. But it was annoying, especially since I couldn't find a solution.
Advert
Old 01-14-2023, 07:08 PM   #3
Patchicat
Enthusiast

SECOND UPDATE: After reading for a few minutes, I set it aside to prepare supper and eat. When I came back to it, I got the same "B&N Nook keeps stopping" message. Thinking seriously about deleting the app and reinstalling it.
Old 01-14-2023, 07:23 PM   #4
Patchicat
Enthusiast

SECOND UPDATE: After reading for a few minutes, I set it aside to prepare supper and eat. When I came back to it, I got the same "B&N Nook keeps stopping" message. Thinking seriously about deleting the app and reinstalling it.
Old 01-14-2023, 07:26 PM   #5
christianbk
Connoisseur
christianbk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.christianbk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.christianbk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.christianbk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.christianbk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.christianbk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.christianbk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.christianbk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.christianbk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.christianbk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.christianbk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: At least one of each brand
I haven’t had that issue. Sounds super frustrating. I’ve had the device stop recognizing the SD card, rendering any NOOK content I have on it as not accessible. A device restart has fixed that.
christianbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-14-2023, 10:15 PM   #6
Patchicat
Enthusiast

THIRD UPDATE: I uninstalled all the updates to the Nook app, and now, I can read again. But I have to pull up all the apps to access what I'm reading. Sigh. We'll see how long this lasts and if I can reinstall the updates and have everything work properly again. I do have other Nooks I can use, and in fact, I'm in the process of redownloading all my library on another one just in case. Sigh again.

If anyone does have a better solution, I'm really open to trying it.
Old 01-23-2023, 08:42 PM   #7
Patchicat
Enthusiast

For what it's worth, I think I figured out what the problem is. It's working well using the rolled back Nook app. But whenever I attempt to update it, there's not enough memory to update the app. I've removed and/or disabled as many apps as possible. I've moved all my books except the one I'm currently reading to the cloud (something I do NOT like doing), and there's still not enough memory. While I could reset my Nook to the factory settings and start all over again, I'm not sure even that would work. And it would entail a LOT of work on my part. Not gonna happen. I did manage to fine a micro SD card which works, inserted it, and I'm downloading books again. Fortunately, a good deal of the books download to the card. And yes, I do future proof my books as much as possible because of things like this. Don't like Kindle even though Amazon now uses EPub. I'd like to find a better tablet, but cost is an issue.
Old 01-23-2023, 11:32 PM   #8
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patchicat View Post
I do future proof my books as much as possible because of things like this. Don't like Kindle even though Amazon now uses EPub. I'd like to find a better tablet, but cost is an issue.
For what it may be worth, Amazon does not use ePub on their eInk ereaders. What you can do is to send an epub using Send to Kindle email/app/webpage and it will be converted before being sent to your Kindle device. Oddly, the same functionality was in Kindle Desktop Publishing for years since epub and docx were the two preferred input formats.

If you want to use ePub, I'd recommend the Kobo or Pocketbook family of ereaders.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2023, 09:18 PM   #9
Patchicat
Enthusiast

Even the rolled back version of Nook began to give me issues. So, i decided to replace it. But I didn't get another Nook. Instead, I purchased a Lenovo Tab M10 Plus (erd Gen) with 4 gig of memory and 128 gig of storage. I've sideloaded all my books onto the SD card. And rather than install the Nook app, I opted instead to try out the eboox app. So far, I'm enjoying it. I rather like the idea of getting away from being strictly Barnes & Noble, even though I am NOT a fan of Amazon kindle books. But there are so many other sources of digital books out there, I probably won't have many issues. And if eboox doesn't work out after all, there are other apps I can try.
Old 03-09-2023, 02:26 PM   #10
Patchicat
Enthusiast

ANOTHER UPDATE: With absolutely nothing to lose, I reset the thing back to factory. So far it appears to be working properly. But I'm not downloading all my books into the library this time. I already have them downloaded and future proofed on my computer for side loading onto another device which is now my prefered device.