Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 05-25-2022, 05:26 PM   #1
christianbk
Connoisseur
christianbk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.christianbk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.christianbk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.christianbk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.christianbk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.christianbk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.christianbk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.christianbk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.christianbk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.christianbk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.christianbk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: At least one of each brand
GlowLight 4e - not the direction I was hoping B&N would go

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/noo...=9780594149279

A more affordable version of the GlowLight 4 (by $30, it's only $10 more affordable when the GL4 has been on sale at $129.99 before).

What's different:
  • Only 8GB of storage (how much for sideloaded content...?)
  • No "Night mode" amber light
  • Lower pixel density (212dpi) vs 300dpi on the regular 4

I'm disappointed. I feel like the GL4 WAS more of an entry-level reader... but they went super entry-entry level.

Last edited by christianbk; 05-25-2022 at 05:32 PM.
christianbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 07:50 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
These new nooks have almost nothing to offer over other better Readers.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-25-2022, 09:28 PM   #3
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
It’s also 20$ more than the Kobo Nia which aside from USB C (the Nia uses micro usb) and buttons is an identical device. The Clara HD is equal cost with the trade off being a 300dpi screen in the Clara vs buttons on the ngl4e.

It compares favorably next to the basic Kindle save that the basic kindle is 30$ cheaper feature wise the gl4e is ahead. But falls behind compared to the, granted 20$ more, kindle paperwhite. But for those 20 dollars you get 300 DPI and a 6.8 screen vs a 6 you give up buttons.

Bit of an odd placement in my opinion.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 11:11 PM   #4
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Oh man. I can understand dropping from 32GB to 8GB (though how much is available for sideloading) and lesser screen. But loss of the amber lighting sucks.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 11:29 PM   #5
bookyboy
Addict
bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Unbelievably overpriced for what it is.

What are they even thinking?

Last edited by bookyboy; 05-26-2022 at 02:02 AM.
bookyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-25-2022, 11:51 PM   #6
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
These new nooks have almost nothing to offer over other better Readers.
The Glowlight 4 has page turn buttons and a faster processor than the Clara or Libra 2. I believe the Glowlight 4 also uses a Carta 1200 screen (according to Nate's blog). Honestly, if stupid B&N quit playing games with sideloading/partitioning I would have one already (and if in addition it was waterproof, it would have been a day 1 purchase).

And before you talk about bezels, the Glowlight 4 is about the same size as a Clara. A little wider and shorter:
Glowlight 4: 6.2 x 4.75 x 0.2 inches
Clara: 6.6 x 4.3 x 0.3 inches

I enjoy reading on my Nooks. The software is basic compared to the Kobo, though TBH most of the features aren't really missed, though I do enjoy messing with them on my Clara.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 12:16 AM   #7
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Pc mag says the glowlight 4 is using Carta hd not Carta 1200, another site reported the same. GoodeReader reported they were reaching out to confirm which it used but I suppose BN values them about as much as we do because those stories were never updated and a later review didn’t specify. Though it praised the GL4 screen over the Sage and Paperwhite 11th gen screen (of course it’s GoodeReader so…).
Old 05-26-2022, 05:42 AM   #8
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlitch View Post
It’s also 20$ more than the Kobo Nia which aside from USB C (the Nia uses micro usb) and buttons is an identical device. The Clara HD is equal cost with the trade off being a 300dpi screen in the Clara vs buttons on the ngl4e.
There's no way I would buy the 4e over a Clara. It makes no sense at all. But, if the Glowlight 4e is built into the same case as 4 (which I'm guessing it is), it's not identical to the Nia. I was impressed with the build quality of the Glowlight 4 — if this one is the same, with the same page turn keys then (hardware-wise, not necessarily software-wise) it's the better reader.

Quote:
It compares favorably next to the basic Kindle save that the basic kindle is 30$ cheaper feature wise the gl4e is ahead. But falls behind compared to the, granted 20$ more, kindle paperwhite. But for those 20 dollars you get 300 DPI and a 6.8 screen vs a 6 you give up buttons.

Bit of an odd placement in my opinion.
I agree, it is an odd placement. It's priced the same as the Glowlight 3, which was a superior device. As for the Kindle Basic, it's only $30 cheaper if you accept the ads (which many do) but that's not quite an equal comparison. I don't think many people would argue that 212 ppi is worth an extra $10 over 167 ppi (if you're using the no-ad version). The same goes for the Paperwhite — at the no-ad price it's $160, $10 more than the Glowlight 4 (not the 4e). Either way, $10 less with ads or $10 more without, the Paperwhite 5 should be compared to the Glowlight 4 (in my opinion) not the 4e.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 05:51 AM   #9
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by christianbk View Post
I'm disappointed. I feel like the GL4 WAS more of an entry-level reader... but they went super entry-entry level.
I thought it might be a cheaper 6" reader to compete with the Nia and Kindle Basic, but I didn't think they would drop down to 212 ppi and price it at $120.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 08:07 AM   #10
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler
Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NST, Kobo Mini
NOOK.

Limping toward oblivion.

Again.
Calenorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 09:02 AM   #11
MGlitch
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
There's no way I would buy the 4e over a Clara. It makes no sense at all. But, if the Glowlight 4e is built into the same case as 4 (which I'm guessing it is), it's not identical to the Nia. I was impressed with the build quality of the Glowlight 4 — if this one is the same, with the same page turn keys then (hardware-wise, not necessarily software-wise) it's the better reader.
I quite agree, the Clara is the winner between the two. I only mentioned it to try and give the GL4E some placement, which neither its features nor price point really lend themselves to assisting.

I meant identical in terms of features, build quality may vary. I did give the GL4e the perk of having buttons over the Nia though, as well as USB C. Of the two buttons are likely the big divide for value (aside from build quality ofc).

Though I think the Nia's main purpose is to nudge potential buyers toward the Clara HD.

Quote:
I agree, it is an odd placement. It's priced the same as the Glowlight 3, which was a superior device. As for the Kindle Basic, it's only $30 cheaper if you accept the ads (which many do) but that's not quite an equal comparison. I don't think many people would argue that 212 ppi is worth an extra $10 over 167 ppi (if you're using the no-ad version). The same goes for the Paperwhite — at the no-ad price it's $160, $10 more than the Glowlight 4 (not the 4e). Either way, $10 less with ads or $10 more without, the Paperwhite 5 should be compared to the Glowlight 4 (in my opinion) not the 4e.
I discount the ads issue due to the numerous reports of customers being able to get around this by complaining to amazon cs. As before I only bring them up to give the GL4E placement.

If BN wants to play screwy with pricing in comparison to its competitors they don't get the benefit of their devices being only compared to the most alike device. Unless they want to undercut the prices of the devices they compare most to.
Old 05-26-2022, 09:24 AM   #12
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler
Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NST, Kobo Mini
Quote:
If BN wants to play screwy with pricing in comparison to its competitors they don't get the benefit of their devices being only compared to the most alike device. Unless they want to undercut the prices of the devices they compare most to.
See, that's the point. I think B&N is betting that their customers won't bother to compare at all.
Calenorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 10:17 AM   #13
MGlitch
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calenorn View Post
See, that's the point. I think B&N is betting that their customers won't bother to compare at all.
Then they’re more foolish than I thought. People might not compare to Kobo given their lackluster US representation, but Amazon is very much on their customers minds.
Old 05-26-2022, 12:04 PM   #14
bookyboy
Addict
bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I don't even know who they think is buying these.

Our local B&N store hasn't had Nook's on display for over a year....so even if you're in the store and maybe thinking about an e-reader, you wouldn't even know they sold any unless you went to their website by chance.

Very very odd strategy
bookyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 02:47 PM   #15
MGlitch
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookyboy View Post
I don't even know who they think is buying these.

Our local B&N store hasn't had Nook's on display for over a year....so even if you're in the store and maybe thinking about an e-reader, you wouldn't even know they sold any unless you went to their website by chance.

Very very odd strategy
This seems to have been their strategy for quite a long time. Even prior to Covid my local BN had maybe two devices haphazardly connected to an information desk. At some point that desk disappeared and took the nooks with it.