Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 10-01-2018, 12:03 AM   #1
davester
davester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX, Yotaphone 2, iPhone7+, Dasung 13.3" HD-FT Monitor, iPad Pro
Is Boox Max 2 helping your burning eyes?

Looking for comments/suggestions from those that have a Max 2 and use it as an external monitor.

My eyes burn after using a typical computer monitor for longer than 5 minutes and I desperately need a solution for this! The Max 2 has a pixel resolution of 2200 x 1650 ... and most all YouTube videos showing the external-monitor feature have the underlying Windows desktop set to a similar incredibly-high resolution ... such that the icons and font size are soooo tiny on the 13.3” display. It would appear that one would get more eye sore from having to constantly squint to see the minuscule text on a lower-contrast screen ... i.e. dark-grey (i.e. "black") text on a light-grey (i.e. "white") background ... such that even in bright lighting, it may be difficult to see things with clarity. Is this a problem for any of you?

If the underlying Windows desktop was changed to 1024 x 768, would the Max 2 show this at full screen (i.e. all 13.3”, as opposed to a 1-to-1 pixel mapping)? I don’t mind the lower resolution if it makes all the text bigger and reduces squinting.

Thanks for your thoughts!!!
davester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 05:51 AM   #2
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
No scaling. You need to run the 2200x1650 resolution. You can do the scaling on the Windows side (icons, windows).
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-02-2018, 05:58 AM   #3
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
You should watch out for the Paperlike 3 for a dedicated monitor.

Last edited by joblack; 10-02-2018 at 06:46 AM.
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 02:48 PM   #4
mdp
Wizard
mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by davester View Post
most all YouTube videos showing the external-monitor feature have the underlying Windows desktop
Whaaaaaaat?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by davester View Post
the icons and font size are soooo tiny
You have to modify the DPI settings. On MS-Windows, there will be similar settings.
mdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 02:49 PM   #5
mdp
Wizard
mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joblack View Post
You should watch out for the Paperlike 3 for a dedicated monitor.
It will not, I guess, break the limits of EPD. So, I do not know which advantage it could bring...
mdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-02-2018, 04:11 PM   #6
plusz
Addict
plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: 13.3" Boox Max2, 7" Kobo H2O
Hi @davester, you did not wrote which operating system you are using but definitely you can set lower resolution full screen on the Max2.

My personal opinion, the Max2 is worse for the eyes than a quality screen. The image is "dirty" and washed out on the Max2. It causes me more eye strain than using my laptop with proper lightning conditions.

I used to complain about eyes strain from using monitors. Since I switched to Macbook with retina display the problem is gone. I use the largest font scaling in the macOS and I don't set the screen too dark nor too bright - I like the fact that the brightness auto adjusts itself to match the external conditions. I used for a while Microsoft surface and Dell XPS but both were really bad for my eyes. I'm not an Apple fan but only Apple makes screens with proper antiglare coating (the same you have on your glasses). In my experience no antiglare coating is really, really bad for my eyes, typical mate coating is much better but still tiring over prolonged time.

And first of all, have your eyes checked! I can work without glasses but then I quickly have the feeling of having sand in my eyes. All the tiny blood vessels in my eyes and eyelids become over pumped, you can just see them heavily pronounced.
plusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 03:40 AM   #7
sogaiu
Addict
sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.

I've not figured out why my eyes hurt from external display and notebook screen use, but what I have found to help on various occasions includes:

- stop using such screens for a while (using the Max or Max2 at such times is unproblematic in my case, but I don't typically use it as an external screen that often -- I end up changing the activity I would have otherwise been involved in)
- sit further away from the screen -- I didn't think this would help and had given up on larger displays, but it turned out to work in my case
- turn down the brightness -- this seems to work on my notebook, where if I turn it up, my eyes start hurting
- use matte screen protector -- this also seems to have helped
- don't use the screen for too long continuously

It appears that different folks have difficulty for different reasons. FWIW, the following site had some info that broadened my horizons:

https://ledstrain.org/

In any case, good luck with finding something to improve your situation.
sogaiu is offline   Reply With Quote