Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 06-29-2018, 11:33 PM   #1
Elaxon
Zealot
Elaxon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elaxon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elaxon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elaxon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elaxon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elaxon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elaxon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elaxon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elaxon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elaxon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elaxon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20 Aura
Google Drive

I have a question regarding google drive and FileDrive Stream.

https://support.google.com/a/answer/7491144?hl=en

The google program mounts your google drive as an drive on your computer. I am thinking on putting my calibre library in here and accessing it solely from the app which would mean it wouldn't mess up my files? Has anyone tried this approach with this software?
Elaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 11:50 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Noooo!
GD does not play nice with Calibres naming structure and can seriously mess up the integrity. GD is one of the worst clouds to use as a MIRROR-BACKUP

Do read the FAQ on NAS -cloud drives.
https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq...rked-drive-nas

Shadowing should always be paused while making changes to the Library
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-30-2018, 02:39 AM   #3
Elaxon
Zealot
Elaxon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elaxon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elaxon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elaxon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elaxon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elaxon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elaxon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elaxon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elaxon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elaxon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elaxon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I read that but I am thinking that the software will not cause the same issue as it works differently and you can have files cached locally as well. There is an option to tick "available offline" I am gonna give it a go and report back on this.

Last edited by Elaxon; 06-30-2018 at 02:45 AM.
Old 06-30-2018, 04:35 PM   #4
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elaxon View Post
I read that but I am thinking that the software will not cause the same issue as it works differently and you can have files cached locally as well. There is an option to tick "available offline" I am gonna give it a go and report back on this.
I am continuously amazed by peoples' hope that what happened to others (including me) won't happen to them.

Drive *will* corrupt your library the first time it thinks that there might be a conflict. When that happens the only recourse is restoring from a backup. I wish you the best of luck, and I hope that you are prepared.

From Google:
Fiona - Google Adviser said:
Hi Nancy,

In Drive File Stream the only files available to you offline are files that you select 'Available Offline' for. However, it will also sync files that you use frequently or recently. If you are working offline, the file that is stored on the computer should be the most up to date from the time you were last connected. If you and another user make edits to the same file while one of both of you are offline, this should save as a conflict file, where you can then update the file with both edits.

I hope this helps!

Thanks,
Fiona
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 05:20 AM   #5
Divingduck
Wizard
Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650
I am continuously amazed too.
Happy Google age. People always will find the matching answer/advice they want to find.

@Elaxon, make a backup before you play with this idea. Sooner or later you will find out why it is not a good idea and will be thankful to have a backup...
Divingduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-05-2018, 06:32 AM   #6
Elaxon
Zealot

I probably should heed the warnings, for now I am just uploading a regular backup to google drive that I do not touch. This way I will have a backup I can download if my harddrive breaks.

I've decided not go with google file drive stream for Calibre as I notice the problems can be many while using the software like that and doing it on Google Drive.

@chaley, Thank you for the link it was very informative and seems like I will get my issues even under that software considering it's still the same backend.

@Divingduck, Yeah I always make sure to have backups before doing something like this.
Old 07-05-2018, 01:32 PM   #7
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elaxon View Post
I probably should heed the warnings, for now I am just uploading a regular backup to google drive that I do not touch. This way I will have a backup I can download if my harddrive breaks.

I've decided not go with google file drive stream for Calibre as I notice the problems can be many while using the software like that and doing it on Google Drive.

@chaley, Thank you for the link it was very informative and seems like I will get my issues even under that software considering it's still the same backend.

@Divingduck, Yeah I always make sure to have backups before doing something like this.
You may not touch you backup, but GOOGLE DRIVE will touch it and screw it up. To be safe zip or rar your backup before storing it on google drive.

bernie
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 03:00 PM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbm View Post
You may not touch you backup, but GOOGLE DRIVE will touch it and screw it up. To be safe zip or rar your backup before storing it on google drive.

bernie

GD does not mess with the contents of any archive. The GD issue is version control uses a simalar filename convention. Versioning an Archive name is not a problem
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 08:01 AM   #9
Elaxon
Zealot

Yeah I realized that and switched to rclone which uploads it in chunks so Google has no way of accidentally destroying it.
Old 07-17-2018, 05:40 AM   #10
sealbeater
Banned
sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505 : Onyx Boox Max : Sony PRS-900 : Onyx Kepler Pro
I wonder how it would do if you were to use an overlay fs, like unionfs with GD and rclone mount. Worth a try.
sealbeater is offline   Reply With Quote