Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 03-02-2024, 12:00 PM   #1276
capink
Wizard
capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comfy.n View Post
Hi capink! Is there some update to this issue? I still can't see any custom icons on the menus nor on the chains dialog.
Make sure your custom icon name does not conflict with any calibre stock icon name, by adding a unique suffix.

As for the modifications to icon management, it is very low priority and will not be done anytime soon.
capink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2024, 12:13 PM   #1277
Comfy.n
want to learn what I want
Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Calibre E-book viewer
Quote:
Originally Posted by capink View Post
Make sure your custom icon name does not conflict with any calibre stock icon name, by adding a unique suffix.
Ok, I have an icon with the following filename:

lang - eng_001.png

It doesn't conflict. Should it work fine? I'm not sure I understand the suffix thing. Sometimes I think I may have some conflicting program on my system... or this could be some other Windows shenanigans, I don't know. I'm on Windows 21H1.

edit: this is not a big deal, I must add. I've noticed this in September, so something changed on my system, perhaps. Plugin is perfectly usable without custom icons.

Last edited by Comfy.n; 03-02-2024 at 12:32 PM.
Comfy.n is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-02-2024, 02:01 PM   #1278
capink
Wizard
capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

This is strange, because it is working fine for me, and for others as I can tell from the various screenshot I've seen on this board. I cannot test on Windows right now. Do you mind posting your Action Chains.json here, or in a private message if you prefer that.

Edit: Also post a listing for the files in your images directory as in calibre_config_dir/resources/images

Last edited by capink; 03-02-2024 at 02:06 PM.
Old 03-02-2024, 02:21 PM   #1279
Comfy.n
Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
This is strange, because it is working fine for me, and for others as I can tell from the various screenshot I've seen on this board. I cannot test on Windows right now. Do you mind posting your Action Chains.json here, or in a private message if you prefer that.
sure, it's a bit messy so I'm sending a link in private containing 2 json files, one is the current, the other is extracted from a calibre config folder backup from April. I've also attached the icons.
Old 03-02-2024, 06:01 PM   #1280
exwebjunkie
exwebjunkie began at the beginning.

Can anyone help me with the setup here? I've been trying but can't work it out.

I have the plugin installed - what I am trying to do, is on a book add, download the meta (I use the goodreads plugin for meta download).

I've found a script for when a book is added
I've found a script for meta download

But I don't really understand how to chain these together? I added both as modules - is that the right thing to do? What do I do next?
exwebjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-02-2024, 06:41 PM   #1281
exwebjunkie
exwebjunkie began at the beginning.

Hmmm kind of got it working - when a book is added it's now downloading the meta for the previous book (not the one that I added) and it brings up as diaglog but would rather it just autoaccepted it.

Anyone got something like this working? Otherwise guess I'll stick to doing it manually.
exwebjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2024, 02:57 AM   #1282
Comfy.n

I'd never choose to do metadata dl on adding, but I have some "metadata ONLY (no covers)" chains, that may help you figure out the plugin workings. The attached one is for Goodreads. You can right click the Chains dialog to import it.

Also attached some screenshots to illustrate.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MWSnap 2024-03-03, 04_51_16.png
Views:	42
Size:	11.3 KB
ID:	206645   Click image for larger version

Name:	MWSnap 2024-03-03, 04_50_41.png
Views:	42
Size:	22.6 KB
ID:	206646   Click image for larger version

Name:	MWSnap 2024-03-03, 04_50_24.png
Views:	41
Size:	19.2 KB
ID:	206647   Click image for larger version

Name:	MWSnap 2024-03-03, 04_44_04.png
Views:	40
Size:	9.9 KB
ID:	206648  
Attached Files
File Type: zip metadata-only-GR.zip (2.1 KB, 83 views)
Old 03-03-2024, 03:51 AM   #1283
Comfy.n

Quote:
This is strange, because it is working fine for me, and for others as I can tell from the various screenshot I've seen on this board. [...]
Indeed. This is definitely something on my end, that happened some time between April and September.

Here's what I've just found. If I restore the entire Calibre Config folder backup I have from April/May, the custom icons for the chains I had then will display fine! Then when I reinstate my current config, issue is back.
Old 03-03-2024, 06:28 AM   #1284
Comfy.n

Well, fortunately I've found a more recent calibre config folder backup that doesn't trigger the custom icons not showing issue. Actually, I was able to narrow down the date when the issue started: it was between a backup dated from 09/09/2023, which is the last working one, and another from 09/13/2023, which is the first config where the issue occurs. I did a Winmerge folder comparison, but wasn't able to spot any obvious difference that could affect custom icons:

Name:	Winmerge MWSnap 2024-03-03, 06_57_37.png
Views:	36
Size:	142.3 KB
ID:	206656

Name:	MWSnap 2024-03-03, 08_32_57.png
Views:	24
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	206659

So I'm currently in the process of merging the last good config folder with my latest settings, with which I'm very pleased. The ongoing merge goes like this:

- To begin with, I've restored last good calibre config folder from 09/09/2023.
- ran calibre, updated all plugins, installed the ones I had not installed on the restored config
- all is good. icons show. backed up config folder until now.
- ran calibre, imported all chains that I had exported from a Calibre Portable 7.6 install, which had been imported from my latest icon-bugged config on main install. (BTW: On Calibre Portable, the same chains from the bugged config wouldn't work immediately upon import. But after restarting Calibre Portable, the custom icons did show up! I found this only today)
- all is good. icons show. did another "ongoing-config-merge" backup.
- replaced all files in the root of the calibre config folder with the correspondent files from my icon-bugged config. ran calibre.
- all is good. icons show. did another "ongoing-config-merge" backup. Now I have restored almost all my current Calibre settings from the most recent backup I made today 05:00AM before the merge, except for individual plugin settings, which sit in the plugin folder.
- replaced all files in the plugins config folder with the ones in my 5:00AM backup, leaving only action-chains subfolder, Action Chains.json and Action Chains.zip untouched.
- this time when I ran Calibre, the issue came back. Custom icons were gone again. Now i'll have to restore my latest ongoing merge backup and replace the individual plugins' settings one by one.

edit: All good now!! yaaaaay. I'm so happy that I'm able to choose my chain icons again, phew. Thanks capink for looking. I was able to restore every bit of my latest settings and narrow down the issue to one specific plugin, now I'm gonna need to watch carefully for some time to see if I can pinpoint which of my settings could be interfering (JS+) --- new edit: I've found that toggling the setting for increasing search bar history visible items triggers the issue. I've added a small video demonstrating this, just for the record.
Attached Files
File Type: avi 20240303_1059_42_1.avi (2.41 MB, 17 views)

Last edited by Comfy.n; 03-03-2024 at 09:07 AM.
Old 03-03-2024, 04:12 PM   #1285
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comfy.n View Post
I've added a small video demonstrating this, just for the record.
Which I for one couldn't make head or tail of without slowing the video and freeze framing at the relevant juncture. Here's a screen shot of the JS+ Configuration setting you reference:

Name:	Screenshot 2024-03-04 075401.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	207.1 KB
ID:	206671

It's the second setting on the Configuration panel.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2024, 04:21 PM   #1286
Comfy.n

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Which I for one couldn't make head or tail of without slowing the video and freeze framing at the relevant juncture. Here's a screen shot of the JS+ Configuration setting you reference:

Attachment 206671

It's the second setting on the Configuration panel.

BR
Do you notice that, after checking that option and restarting Calibre, the custom icons on Action Chain menus were gone?

before:

Name:	before 20240303_1059_42_1.avi_snapshot_00.04_[2024.03.03_18.18.18].png
Views:	34
Size:	313.2 KB
ID:	206672

after:

Name:	after 20240303_1059_42_1.avi_snapshot_00.36_[2024.03.03_18.16.37].png
Views:	31
Size:	295.9 KB
ID:	206673
Old 03-03-2024, 04:37 PM   #1287
Comfy.n

this one shows the inverse happening - by unchecking the same option and restarting Calibre, the custom icons show up again!
Attached Files
File Type: avi 20240303_1828_50_1.avi (1.97 MB, 17 views)
Old 03-03-2024, 05:21 PM   #1288
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I was referring to your use of video as a documentation medium per se, not whether a particular JS+ setting impacts on the display of Action Chain icons.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2024, 05:47 PM   #1289
Comfy.n

I see. Anyway, video seemed a good way to demonstrate how odd this is
Old 03-03-2024, 06:52 PM   #1290
capink
Wizard

Investigating something in a plugin I have no experience with and never used is something I am not interested in doing. I will eventually do the icon management thing, but not anytime soon. For now, it is what it is.