Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 08-17-2020, 02:18 PM   #106
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
I've been house sitting the last two weeks and didn't watch much TV, except for the Discovery Networks streaming service. I watched some ghost shows.

I did watch the first three or four episodes of the documentary series I'll Be Gone in the Dark, about the Golden State Killer and crime writer Michelle McNamara.

Today I came home. I'll probably watch some more ghost shows tonight, I'm tired and will not be able to concentrate one something.

Before I went I also watched part of the second season of The Umbrella Academy, which I liked so far.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 11:50 AM   #107
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Last week I finished I'll Be Gone in the Dark and season 2 of the Umbrella Academy. I also watched The Floor is Lava, it was too hot to concentrate on anything that required thinking.

During the weekend I stayed with me sister and watched a bunch of films:
A Wrinkle in Time: okay, for me it felt that the first half of the film should have been done faster and the second half should be longer.

The House with the Clock in the Walls: enjoyed it, it reminded me of the Goosebumps film with Jack Black, who was also in the this film.

The Darkest Minds: my sisters pick, she thought that by choosing a YA film it would be a fun and easy film. It wasn't, but we did really like it. I might check out the book series it's based on.

Time Trap: we were in the mood for an adventure film and this came up on Netflix. I didn't expect too much of it, but it was surprisingly good and the story is original. Recommended.

My sister finds it hard to pick films she wants to watch. So we've decided that we are now going to do themed weekends. Actors, themes, franchises, director, etc. In late September the Enola Holmes film is released on Netflix, it's about Sherlock's younger sister. So I'm thinking of proposing a Sherlock Holmes weekend. I've already got some films in mind:

* Basil the Great Mouse Detective (started my Sherlock Holmes obsession)
* Young Sherlock Holmes (it was on TV once but was broken off half way through because of the murder of Yitzhak Rabin, I never had a chance to finish it)
* The Hounds of the Baskerville - first one with Basil Rathbone (never seen it, so it's overdue)
* Sherlock Holmes - with Robert Downey Jr. (we've both seen it, but it's fun, not sure if my sister wants to watch it again)

Any other suggestions (film, not tv series) are welcome.
Advert
Old 08-26-2020, 09:31 PM   #108
cc_in_oh
Bob's my uncle
cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
After a few forgettable Acorn shows we watched S7 of Endeavour. It's a good show but I can't see it ever connecting up to the old Morse. And I hate to see Thursday played so darkly, especially when I've recently listened to Cabin Pressure in which Allam is hilarious.

Now we're on S23 of Silent Witness. It's a marginal show for me but this season has pretty good plots so far. And I like the current cast better than past ones. With its morbid setting it would benefit from a healthy dose of black humor now and then.

Looking forward to Van der Valk coming up on PBS - sounds like a great fit for Marc Warren and has a few other familiar faces.

Amazon has the 2010 miniseries The Deep - we'll give that a try also.
cc_in_oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 11:10 PM   #109
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Currently watching Forest of Secrets 2 - I hate the way Netflix enervates the VERY meaningful Korean title by calling it simply "Stranger". So far, this second series is shaping up to be possibly even better than the OUTSTANDING first season. Bae Doona and Cho Seung Woo have picked up right where they left off and the story is even denser and more layered in many ways. A gripping watch, reminding me what K Dramas are capable of being.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 02:42 PM   #110
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer

I finished Dirty John: Betty Broderick last night on Netflix, which was an interesting story.

Tonight I'm going to start Van der Valk. My mother has already watched it and found it underwhelming. I'll give it a go anyways. If you like the Amsterdam setting I can recommend the Pieter Vos book series by David Hewson. Which gives a good representation of Amsterdam IMHO.
Advert
Old 08-27-2020, 03:30 PM   #111
cc_in_oh
Bob's my uncle
cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sorry to hear that - I had high hopes for VdV...
Old 08-27-2020, 04:59 PM   #112
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc_in_oh View Post
Sorry to hear that - I had high hopes for VdV...
I've watched the first episode and part of the second. And it's quite good, I'm enjoying it.

However, in the second episode the police officers go to a convent and the garden and surrounding cloister are not in Amsterdam but are part of the Dom Church/St. Martin's Cathedral in Utrecht, literally around the corner from where I live. The church they use is not the Dom Church.

Mind you, the boat chase scene in the film Amsterdamned was filmed just a little bit further up the canal from where I live and the main character lived in what used to be our bakery and now is a tea shop
Old 08-27-2020, 05:33 PM   #113
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
I quite enjoyed Van der Valk.

I wouldn't say it was amazing, but it was certainly enjoyable.
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 01:48 AM   #114
mlewis78
Guru
mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2 (7"); HDX 8.9"; Ipad2
Van der Valk starts here in the U.S. on PBS on September 13th. I thought it was this Sunday, but they must be fund raising instead. Endeavor S7 aired E3 last Sunday and I finished watching it Monday. I thought this was the best season yet of it. I love the old Morse and Lewis series, but when I re-watched Morse twice in recent years I didn't enjoy it as much as Endeavor.

I've been recording Seinfeld episodes. I saw them in early 1990s, but it was so long ago that they now seem fresh. I'm enjoying the Late Show with Steven Colbert (watching tonight's right now).
mlewis78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 05:39 PM   #115
cc_in_oh
Bob's my uncle

We finished Silent Witness S23. Very good season IMO, with good story lines and much more emphasis on characters who aren't Emilia Fox. I don't dislike her but 15 seasons of her is enough for me. Amanda Burton also became tiresome but had the good sense to bow out and move on.
Old 08-31-2020, 03:57 AM   #116
mlewis78
Guru
mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2 (7"); HDX 8.9"; Ipad2
I started watching a Frank Sinatra documentary "All or Nothing at All" on Netflix Saturday night (1st hour) and the rest of that episode Sunday. Didn't realize there is another two -hour episode until it came up. Will watch some time. I watched an Inspector Lynley episode, the one with the caravan park in a beach town.

I watched first two episodes of Peaky Blinders from series 4. I had not watched in a few years. My brother told me he has been watching it lately. Not sure where he is in it. Two episodes Saturday was enough for me. So much senseless killing that they consider very important. Might continue some other time, but I was reminded why I had not continued watching it when S4 and S5 came out.
mlewis78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 04:23 AM   #117
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer

I can't decide what I'm in the mood for to watch at the moment.

On Saturday I tried watching the first episode of The Stand mini series (from the 1990s), but it was just too triggering with everything going on.

The I watched the first two episodes of season one of The X-Files. I watched the first couple of seasons several years ago, but didn't finish the series. I really enjoyed it, so I'll continue watching episodes regularly.

Last night I just wasn't in the mood for much and put on Haunted Towns on D Play (Discover Network streaming service).

Tonight I'll watch the last episode of Van der Valk, after that I still need to finish the first season of Law & Order: SVU. I must say SVU feels very dated with the views on the LGBTQ community and some views on women.
Old 09-10-2020, 06:41 PM   #118
cc_in_oh
Bob's my uncle

We watched the 2010 miniseries The Deep. Much as I like James Nesbitt and Orla Brady, it could have been a lot better.

Now we're trying Trial and Retribution, typical Lynda La Plante fare but not too bad so far while waiting for Van der Valk to start on Sunday.
Old 09-11-2020, 03:03 AM   #119
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer

I haven't been in the mood to watch anything specific lately. So I'm now working my way through the paranormal section on Dplay. I'm now watching Ghost Asylum.
Old 09-11-2020, 04:27 AM   #120
timebug
Ancient Sage
timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Reader
About halfway through all seven series of 'The Blacklist'. Wonderful escapist crime rubbish, if that sort of thing is what you watch. I do!
timebug is offline   Reply With Quote