Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-26-2022, 11:04 AM   #106
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Firmware 4.23.15505 is even older (Aug 2020).

@sherman would need to confirm, but I'm going to take an educated guess that all development/testing of NickelClock was done on fw 4.32.xxxxx or 4.33.xxxxx.

A lot has changed with headers/footers in the last few years.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2022, 11:59 AM   #107
Ned
Ebook reader
Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O (ed 2, v1), Kobo Forma, Kobo Libra 2
Hi again
Just to confirm that my Aura H2O is now on 4.34.20097 with all my usual patches.
Nickel clock works perfectly - as shown in the following screenshot
(ps I switched the clock to left and battery to right while I was at it, so it's different from my last screenshot)

Thanks again @sherman and sorry to be a bother
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2022-10-26 at 16.52.35.jpg
Views:	440
Size:	625.5 KB
ID:	197381  
Ned is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-26-2022, 12:54 PM   #108
sherman
Guru
sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Thanks everyone for the investigations!

My development was indeed on a recent firmware, Going back to older firmware versions
is a PITA, so I don't do it very often.

As to what I'm doing QSS wise, NickelClock Copies the embedded ReadingFooter.qss, removes the stuff before the font settings, changes #caption to my own ID, and applies the new stylesheet. I obviously need to devise a more robust solution...
sherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2022, 01:45 PM   #109
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherman View Post
Thanks everyone for the investigations!

My development was indeed on a recent firmware, Going back to older firmware versions
is a PITA, so I don't do it very often.

As to what I'm doing QSS wise, NickelClock Copies the embedded ReadingFooter.qss, removes the stuff before the font settings, changes #caption to my own ID, and applies the new stylesheet. I obviously need to devise a more robust solution...
I think every single line of ReadingFooter.qss is patched by one or other of 2 existing patches.
  1. Reduce new header/footer height patches ReadingFooter min-height and max-height
  2. Custom header/footer captions patches #caption font-size and (optional) #caption font-family. Also ReadingFooter qproperty-footerMargin
I use both of those patches myself, but NickelClock seems to be working OK for me on Libra2, ClaraHD, AuraOne and Forma. This sounds like a minor miracle based on what you said about how NickelClock works.
Old 10-26-2022, 02:36 PM   #110
sherman
Guru
sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ah, I don't actually modify the original, I just use it as a template. The idea being that it should work with the patches.
Advert
Old 10-26-2022, 02:39 PM   #111
sherman
Guru

Also, @jackie_w do you have a copy of ReadingFooter.qss from an older firmware? It may be possible for me to come up with a solution without having to reach for an actual QSS/CSS parser.
Old 10-26-2022, 05:19 PM   #112
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Also, @jackie_w do you have a copy of ReadingFooter.qss from an older firmware? It may be possible for me to come up with a solution without having to reach for an actual QSS/CSS parser.
I've attached ReadingFooter.qss from fw 4.25.15875. How far back did you want to go?

ETA: The file from fw 4.23.15505 is exactly the same as 4.25.15875
Attached Files
File Type: txt 4-25-15875_ReadingFooter.qss.txt (2.0 KB, 81 views)

Last edited by jackie_w; 10-26-2022 at 05:23 PM. Reason: ETA
Old 10-26-2022, 05:27 PM   #113
sherman
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
I've attached ReadingFooter.qss from fw 4.25.15875. How far back did you want to go?

ETA: The file from fw 4.23.15505 is exactly the same as 4.25.15875
Thanks, probably no need to go too far back.

I may just need to remove the [newHeader=true] and [newFooter=true] selectors for those firmwares to work. Or add those properties to my labels (which might be the easiest thing to do).
Old 10-27-2022, 02:12 PM   #114
sherman
Guru

If anyone is still running an older firmware like 4.2x, feel free to give this version a go.

WARNING: Entirely untested by me (I don't have time right now), but I don't foresee any issues.

Test version removed. v0.3.0 now released.

Last edited by sherman; 10-29-2022 at 05:44 PM.
Old 10-27-2022, 09:49 PM   #115
KL Wong
KL Wong began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo glo, Kobo aura HD, Kobo Forma
Sherman,

Thank you for spending the time to make nickel clock compatible with older firmware.

I tested the new version nickel clock with 4.23 firmware. The battery font size becomes normal. However, I notice in 4.23 firmware, the clock font size is slightly bigger than the clock in home pages (both old and new nickel clock version). This does not occur in new 4.34 firmware. However, I regard the new nickelclock is completely acceptable in old firmware.

I uploaded a comparsion picture as attchement for your reference.

All test are done without any patch on my Forma.

Thanks.

Allen
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	FontSize.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	84.7 KB
ID:	197399  
KL Wong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2022, 01:32 AM   #116
sherman
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by KL Wong View Post
Sherman,

Thank you for spending the time to make nickel clock compatible with older firmware.

I tested the new version nickel clock with 4.23 firmware. The battery font size becomes normal. However, I notice in 4.23 firmware, the clock font size is slightly bigger than the clock in home pages (both old and new nickel clock version). This does not occur in new 4.34 firmware. However, I regard the new nickelclock is completely acceptable in old firmware.

I uploaded a comparsion picture as attchement for your reference.

All test are done without any patch on my Forma.

Thanks.

Allen
I've attached another test version. Hopefully it solves the time label issue as well (I had to implement the same fix as I did for the battery).

WARNING: Once again, entirely untested by me, but I don't foresee any issues.

Test version removed. v0.3.0 now released.

Last edited by sherman; 10-29-2022 at 05:43 PM.
Old 10-29-2022, 05:35 AM   #117
KL Wong
KL Wong began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo glo, Kobo aura HD, Kobo Forma
Sharman,

I believe you got it. The time and battery font size are the same for both new and old firmware.

Thanks.

Allen
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	FontSize.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	136.9 KB
ID:	197431  
KL Wong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2022, 05:42 PM   #118
sherman
Guru

v0.3.0 released!

At long last, I've published a new release of NickelClock. This is the same as the test version I posted yesterday, just officially released.

You can download the release HERE.
Old 10-29-2022, 07:10 PM   #119
sdothum
Enthusiast
sdothum knows what time it issdothum knows what time it issdothum knows what time it issdothum knows what time it issdothum knows what time it issdothum knows what time it issdothum knows what time it issdothum knows what time it issdothum knows what time it issdothum knows what time it issdothum knows what time it is

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Thank You!

Works like a charm.
sdothum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2022, 03:00 PM   #120
Ned
Ebook reader
Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O (ed 2, v1), Kobo Forma, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
At long last, I've published a new release of NickelClock. This is the same as the test version I posted yesterday, just officially released.

You can download the release HERE.
Can I just install it over the top of the earlier version I have (which works fine on my firmware) ?
Ned is offline   Reply With Quote