Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-12-2024, 02:36 PM   #106
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by dem1980fr View Post
I hope we could have soon pictures side by side of ebooks from Libra Old/BW and from Libra Color/Colour to see if black and white pages are blurry as previews said.
Colors are bonus but black and white have to be at least at the same quality.
The mono on a colour screen is about 1/2 the resolution of the same panel without a colour filter. Physics. You can't get something for nothing. They'd need to use 600 dpi mono panels under the Kaleido colour filter to get mono Libra 2 quality. The actual panel is 300 dpi.

LCD panels do indeed have 2 x 2 or 3 x 1 higher resolution than the quoted colour resolution for the actual LCD, which are all mono.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2024, 04:07 PM   #107
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyôdai View Post
The new Clara BW only has a single-core 1 GHz processor still.

The dual-core 2 GHz version only made it into the color version of both the Clara and Libra.
Interesting. I see this as the specs on the processor.

Quote:
Processor MediaTEK MTK8113L – Dual Core ARM A53 1.0 GHz
Going by the results of a search, the 8113 SoC included eInk specific controllers and seems to be available only in a dual CPU configuration. The only variants I found were an 1GHZ used in lower end ereaders from several manufacturers and a 2GHz used in higher end eNote devices. (Elipsa 2E and Kindle Scribe for example).

For now, I'm going to go with the dual CPU option.

Last edited by DNSB; 04-12-2024 at 04:24 PM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-13-2024, 01:18 AM   #108
kyôdai
Groupie
kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Interesting. I see this as the specs on the processor.

[Processor MediaTEK MTK8113L – Dual Core ARM A53 1.0 GHz]

Going by the results of a search, the 8113 SoC included eInk specific controllers and seems to be available only in a dual CPU configuration. The only variants I found were an 1GHZ used in lower end ereaders from several manufacturers and a 2GHz used in higher end eNote devices. (Elipsa 2E and Kindle Scribe for example).

For now, I'm going to go with the dual CPU option.
Where do you find those specs?

All Kobo says on their webpage is "1 GHz".

Tolino is a bit more specific and says: "MediaTEK MT8113L – ARM A53 1.0 GHz" (Notice that it has a slightly different model number and says nothing about being "dual core".)
kyôdai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2024, 02:39 AM   #109
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:

Tolino is a bit more specific and says: "MediaTEK MT8113L – ARM A53 1.0 GHz" (Notice that it has a slightly different model number and says nothing about being "dual core".)
Spanish article, you have some details: Kobo Colour ereaders
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2024, 09:49 AM   #110
kyôdai
Groupie
kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post

That article lists the same CPU as Tolino does.
1 GHz, no dual core, different model number.
kyôdai is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-13-2024, 02:14 PM   #111
chrisridd
Guru
chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Kobo Aura ONE, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
Hopefully the memory specs are wrong. 1MB is on the low side nowadays ;-)
chrisridd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2024, 03:34 PM   #112
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

The line I quoted was from the Bücher web page. I also did some digging into the Eink/MediaTek press releases and the 8113 seems to be referenced as a dual core product.

Last edited by DNSB; 04-13-2024 at 03:39 PM.
Old 04-14-2024, 04:12 PM   #113
dem1980fr
Enthusiast
dem1980fr began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
The mono on a colour screen is about 1/2 the resolution of the same panel without a colour filter. Physics. You can't get something for nothing. They'd need to use 600 dpi mono panels under the Kaleido colour filter to get mono Libra 2 quality. The actual panel is 300 dpi.

LCD panels do indeed have 2 x 2 or 3 x 1 higher resolution than the quoted colour resolution for the actual LCD, which are all mono.
I have the first Libra and it is perfect for me for bw ebooks and mangas.
If the Libra 2 is better and the Libra Colour is the same, so I am very interested into Colour model.
dem1980fr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2024, 06:03 PM   #114
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by dem1980fr View Post
I have the first Libra and it is perfect for me for bw ebooks and mangas.
If the Libra 2 is better and the Libra Colour is the same, so I am very interested into Colour model.
I have the Libra and the Libra 2. They are just the same to hold and read on. The colour model needs more front light power and has half the sharpness/resolution because of the colour filter. I can use either Libra in ambient indoor light without the front light. The Libra Colour screen is darker due to the Kaleido filter which tints the mono screen underneath (just the same as LCDs, except colour LCDs are backlit and have millions of colours shades rather than the pastel shades of about 4000 with Kaleido because the mono panel only has white, black and 14 greys at best).
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2024, 06:04 PM   #115
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Just a quick note.

It's spelled color, not colour.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2024, 06:10 PM   #116
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
I have the Libra and the Libra 2. They are just the same to hold and read on.
The Libra 2 has noticeably better contrast and more even frontlight than the original Libra.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2024, 07:39 PM   #117
Croptop
Groupie
Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Aura One, Pixel 8 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Just a quick note.

No it's not.
Croptop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2024, 08:36 PM   #118
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Just a quick note.

Jon, we have discussed this before. The proper names used everywhere in the world are Libra Colour and Clara Colour. You do remember that Kobo is a Canadian company?

Your opinion that colour should not have a u in it is not going the change the proper names of those two ereaders.

Please do not post again about your desire to misspell the names.

Moderator Notice
Consider this a formal warning
Old 04-15-2024, 12:46 AM   #119
Dibbler
Enthusiast
Dibbler began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Simple Touch Kobo Aura One, Clara 2E, Clara BW
I am glad that I have read what has been posted within this thread regarding the colour devices being launched.
I had not realised at all that there was a type of filter being used that will compromise the reading of std non colour material compared to doing the same on the Libra 2, as an example.
I suppose there has to be a particular use need to have a colour over a b&w one, understanding todays technical limitations
Dibbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2024, 01:36 AM   #120
dem1980fr
Enthusiast
dem1980fr began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra
Quote:
I have the Libra and the Libra 2. They are just the same to hold and read on. The colour model needs more front light power and has half the sharpness/resolution because of the colour filter. I can use either Libra in ambient indoor light without the front light. The Libra Colour screen is darker due to the Kaleido filter which tints the mono screen underneath (just the same as LCDs, except colour LCDs are backlit and have millions of colours shades rather than the pastel shades of about 4000 with Kaleido because the mono panel only has white, black and 14 greys at best).
Form memory i don’t need power front light.
When i read the night, i put the Dark mode on and front light at 5-10%.
When i read outside, i don’t modify the front light because it is boring to set it up in the night from null to 5-10% so i don’t turn it off.
I never use front light at 50% or more so the darkest of the Colour screen could not be so negative for my use.
dem1980fr is offline   Reply With Quote