Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 02-07-2024, 03:02 AM   #91
paperwhite13
Zealot
paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Kindle PW3 [KOReader]
There is now a dedicated topic just for that
paperwhite13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2024, 01:10 PM   #92
nabsltd
Evangelist
nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (11th gen), Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
One reason for having naked tags is because they look better when editing eBooks.
Fixed that for you.

Last edited by issybird; 02-07-2024 at 02:42 PM. Reason: Changed quote back to original.
nabsltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-07-2024, 02:43 PM   #93
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by nabsltd View Post
Fixed that for you.
Moderator Notice
Please don't alter comments within a quote; it's a violation of the guidelines.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2024, 02:56 AM   #94
chrisridd
Guru
chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Kobo Aura ONE, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
What sorts of automated tools are there that can help improve the HTML/CSS used in a book? For example:
  • Moving all inline styles into a shared CSS file
  • Only using classes/ids to style the exceptional cases, not the normal cases
  • Removing redundant declarations from the CSS file
  • Using more semantic HTML - from <div class="para"> to <p> for example
  • ... others?

There are CSS "minifier" tools that may help removing redundant declarations, though (I just tried one) and they seem to optimise for compactness and perhaps not human readability.

Personally I'd kill for a tool that could correctly replace HarperCollins' awful typographical mess in their Discworld books of:

Quote:
Code:
<span class="smallCaps">HELLO I'M DEATH</span>
and
Code:
.smallCaps { font-size: small }
(usually much more complex) into:

Quote:
Code:
<span class="smallCaps">Hello I'm Death</span>
and
Code:
.smallCaps { font-variant: small-caps }
But this is a really really specific itch
chrisridd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2024, 07:18 AM   #95
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisridd View Post
Personally I'd kill for a tool that could correctly replace HarperCollins' awful typographical mess in their Discworld books of:
Code:
<span class="smallCaps">HELLO I'M DEATH</span>
and
Code:
.smallCaps { font-size: small }
They are doing that because there are ereaders and versions of apps (needed for DRM or Library loans) that don't at all support 'small caps' and it's not semantically small caps anyway. Sometimes the font doesn't have it and I forget if Kindle on iOS or mobi on old Kindles does it.

Death speaks in all upper case / capitals. Unlike some newspaper style guides for AM PM BC AD NATO FM etc it doesn't have to be small caps or transformed sentence case.

Your example of small caps entered in sentence case and transformed in is typically for the start of a paragraph after a break or heading.

I'm sure there are far worse examples of crazy on HarperCollins, The house of Random Penguins, or small publishers like Lume.

Gutenberg has a weird style guide and some of their content uses multiple nested blockquotes simply to change margin. Those can result in a column of broken single words. Standard eBooks goes to an opposite extreme

Last edited by Quoth; 02-11-2024 at 07:21 AM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-11-2024, 09:09 AM   #96
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
There isn’t going to be a completely automatic tool to do that, but there are a lot of different tools to do specific things. You just need to learn to use those tools.
  • Moving all inline styles into a shared CSS file source software or plug-in
  • Only using classes/ids to style the exceptional cases, not the normal cases regex
  • Removing redundant declarations from the CSS file plug-in
  • Using more semantic HTML - from <div class="para"> to <p> for example regex
  • ... others?

The software authors use to create the book SHOULD have the option to export using a css stylesheet instead of inline styling. If you don’t have access to the source file then Sigil (or Calibre IIRC) have plugins that can do that.

Regular expressions (regex) is a type of advanced search that you can use to find/replace phrases/text. It can easily make hundreds, or thousands, of changes in seconds. Just remember, with great power comes great risk (or something like that ). It can totally wreck your text if you make a mistake - so save/backup early and often.
Calibre has a built-in tool called Regex Functions that can do Title Case (Sigil has a plug-in). As Quoth mentioned, DEATH speaks in all caps, but a regex wouldn’t know the difference between DEATH speaking and any other smallcaps. You, the coder, needs to make that distinction when you use the tools. (I haven’t read all the discworld books, but I don’t remember them specifying that he HAD to use all caps - it could be that was the only kind of typography they had to use at the time to give it that importance???)

Regex example:
Find: <div class="para">(.*?)</div>
Replace: <p>\1</p>

You can easily change the styling in the css stylesheet.
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2024, 09:24 AM   #97
chrisridd
Guru
chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
They are doing that because there are ereaders and versions of apps (needed for DRM or Library loans) that don't at all support 'small caps' and it's not semantically small caps anyway. Sometimes the font doesn't have it and I forget if Kindle on iOS or mobi on old Kindles does it.
Yes that's likely the reason the publisher's decided to go for the lowest common denominator. Personally I don't care what limitations are in Kindle for iOS or mobi (etc), I've got an epub. But I can certainly understand the publisher's desire to do as little as possible.

Quote:
Death speaks in all upper case / capitals.
Actually, no. I went back to the Colour (sic) of Magic and it does really look like small-caps. Screenshot hopefully attached.

My Corgi paperback copies are buried under a mound of other stuff so I can't check them readily.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	death.png
Views:	31
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	206312  
Old 02-11-2024, 09:32 AM   #98
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Personally I don't care what limitations are in Kindle for iOS or mobi (etc), I've got an epub.
That's an epub limitation too. At least in epub2, font-variant is not among the required CSS properties, so epub readers can ignore it and still call themselves compliant. Most notably, ADE does not render small caps (or used not to).

If it's for your own use, fine. I've also changed all those to small caps and made sure they render correctly in KOReader
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2024, 09:44 AM   #99
chrisridd
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
That's an epub limitation too. At least in epub2, font-variant is not among the required CSS properties, so epub readers can ignore it and still call themselves compliant. Most notably, ADE does not render small caps (or used not to).
Is that still a limitation for epub3? These happened to be epub3 books.

Judging from this ancient thread, ADE can render small-caps if the conditions are all correct.
Old 02-11-2024, 04:32 PM   #100
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
There isn’t going to be a completely automatic tool to do that, but there are a lot of different tools to do specific things. You just need to learn to use those tools.
  • Moving all inline styles into a shared CSS file source software or plug-in
  • Only using classes/ids to style the exceptional cases, not the normal cases regex
  • Removing redundant declarations from the CSS file plug-in
  • Using more semantic HTML - from <div class="para"> to <p> for example regex
  • ... others?

The software authors use to create the book SHOULD have the option to export using a css stylesheet instead of inline styling. If you don’t have access to the source file then Sigil (or Calibre IIRC) have plugins that can do that.

Regular expressions (regex) is a type of advanced search that you can use to find/replace phrases/text. It can easily make hundreds, or thousands, of changes in seconds. Just remember, with great power comes great risk (or something like that ). It can totally wreck your text if you make a mistake - so save/backup early and often.
Calibre has a built-in tool called Regex Functions that can do Title Case (Sigil has a plug-in). As Quoth mentioned, DEATH speaks in all caps, but a regex wouldn’t know the difference between DEATH speaking and any other smallcaps. You, the coder, needs to make that distinction when you use the tools. (I haven’t read all the discworld books, but I don’t remember them specifying that he HAD to use all caps - it could be that was the only kind of typography they had to use at the time to give it that importance???)

Regex example:
Find: <div class="para">(.*?)</div>
Replace: <p>\1</p>

You can easily change the styling in the css stylesheet.
Removed redundant CSS can also be done with the source software. calibre can remove extra CSS without a plugin as it's a built-in function of the editor.

As for Death, the eBooks having him speaking in all caps but uses smallcaps instead of lowercase. So in order to make sure this works in all cases, a smaller font size is used instead of small caps in CSS. If you use font-variant: small-caps instead of a smaller font size, you can spoil the effect in programs that do not support small-caps.

If you decide to use small-caps, you have to make sure that it's OK when it doesn't work. For example, 3P.M. will be OK if they are not in small-caps. Death speaking will not be OK.

As for the regex example, that can be done (and more) with Diaps Editing Toolbag. It's a plugin for calibre editor and Sigil. I use it a lot.

Last edited by JSWolf; 02-11-2024 at 04:41 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2024, 05:07 PM   #101
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
I'm sure there are far worse examples of crazy on HarperCollins, The house of Random Penguins, or small publishers like Lume.
Penguin does indeed do something worse. They have a file called next-reads.xhtml. That links to a 1700x1200 sized image and they embed 2 fonts for a small bit of text on the page.

Taking a Penguin eBook and just removing the HTML, image, and fonts results in a smaller ePub. Original ePub is 1604KB and then edited ePub is 1550KB. To me, that's much worse then Death speaking. That (IMHO) is a really good example of code bloat.
Old 02-11-2024, 05:14 PM   #102
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Is that still a limitation for epub3? These happened to be epub3 books.

Judging from this ancient thread, ADE can render small-caps if the conditions are all correct.
The font size instead of small-caps is a fallback for ePub2. The version of RMSDK used on Kobo does not support small-caps. So anyone reading Discworld with ePub would not have the correct smallcaps. This was a major blunder (IMHO) by the ePub standards to make font-variant optional in ePub2.

Sony Readers cannot render small-caps and there are other old Readers that also cannot.

There is no fallback for small-caps except not to use it.
Old 02-11-2024, 05:55 PM   #103
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The font size instead of small-caps is a fallback for ePub2. The version of RMSDK used on Kobo does not support small-caps. So anyone reading Discworld with ePub would not have the correct smallcaps. This was a major blunder (IMHO) by the ePub standards to make font-variant optional in ePub2.

Sony Readers cannot render small-caps and there are other old Readers that also cannot.

There is no fallback for small-caps except not to use it.
Saying "there is no fallback" is not quite accurate. It might not look exactly the same, but that doesn't mean it doesn't work. Using media queries allows you to change the way things are displayed.

for example - and this is a simplification Jon not a proper MQ:

Code:
HTML:
<p>Death said "<span class="death">They could hear me roar in Middengard!</span>"</p>

CSS:
Media query - Does it support small-caps:
    death {font-variant:small-caps}

Media query - Does it support text-transform but NOT small-caps:
    death {text-transform:uppercase; font-size:.9em}

Media query - Does device support color but NOT small-caps:
    death {color:blue}

Media query - is it Jon's e-ink device and doesn't support anything??
    death {}
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2024-02-11 174443.png
Views:	38
Size:	39.9 KB
ID:	206317

The most basic styling (none) is still readable and makes perfect sense. The user will not complain because they aren't expecting any styling on their ancient device.

That is a basic Media Query concept example. That doesn't take into account the possibilities of basic Cascading principles of CSS where the most recent style (lowest on the list) has priority. eg. Put your more capable css last in the list...if the device doesn't support it, then it will ignore it and go with what is earlier in the list.
Old 02-11-2024, 06:07 PM   #104
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
Saying "there is no fallback" is not quite accurate. It might not look exactly the same, but that doesn't mean it doesn't work. Using media queries allows you to change the way things are displayed.
How would you handle a media que

for example - and this is a simplification Jon not a proper MQ:

Code:
HTML:
<p>Death said "<span class="death">They could hear me roar in Middengard!</span>"</p>

CSS:
Media query - Does it support small-caps:
    death {font-variant:small-caps}

Media query - Does it support text-transform but NOT small-caps:
    death {text-transform:uppercase; font-size:.9em}

Media query - Does device support color but NOT small-caps:
    death {color:blue}

Media query - is it Jon's e-ink device and doesn't support anything??
    death {}
Attachment 206317

The most basic styling (none) is still readable and makes perfect sense. The user will not complain because they aren't expecting any styling on their ancient device.

That is a basic Media Query concept example. That doesn't take into account the possibilities of basic Cascading principles of CSS where the most recent style (lowest on the list) has priority. eg. Put your more capable css last in the list...if the device doesn't support it, then it will ignore it and go with what is earlier in the list.[/QUOTE]
How would you write a media query that would override the font size and give you small-caps?
Old 02-11-2024, 06:20 PM   #105
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard

I will leave that as a homework assignment…

Tags
indesign, sigil