Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 11-19-2023, 03:59 PM   #91
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
All I do is change the location by clocking the flag at the top.
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Enough. It's time to drop the back and forth and let this go.
But I simply must know how one clocks a flag.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2023, 04:41 PM   #92
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
I gave up. I may try again, but whatever I get working eventually stops working. There seems to be no "one place" that I can book mark that always has the latest. So I have to figure things out ever time.

Calibre updates? Everything breaks.

Amazon updates the app? Everything breaks.

"oh, but you need xyz old version" - yeah, I know, and had it working, until it stopped. Rinse repeat more times than I want to count.

I do wish this forum would simply accept that we all talk about this and allow a pinned, constantly kept current recipe.

Thiefs will steal no matter what. I just want to back up my amazon books and read them with my favorite app.
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-29-2023, 05:04 PM   #93
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post
I gave up. I may try again, but whatever I get working eventually stops working. There seems to be no "one place" that I can book mark that always has the latest. So I have to figure things out ever time.

Calibre updates? Everything breaks.

Amazon updates the app? Everything breaks.

"oh, but you need xyz old version" - yeah, I know, and had it working, until it stopped. Rinse repeat more times than I want to count.

I do wish this forum would simply accept that we all talk about this and allow a pinned, constantly kept current recipe.

Thiefs will steal no matter what. I just want to back up my amazon books and read them with my favorite app.
The ban on detailed instructions is the MR's owner's wish, who doesn't want lawyers hounding him. So there's nothing to be done about that. It's not the personal whim of the moderators.

A Calibre update broke everything only once, AFAIK, and that was years ago. Recent updates haven't broken anything. Amazon updates, of course, can and do break things, and that's also something we can do nothing about. They do it on purpose. They don't want people to remove the DRM from their books.

Last edited by Sirtel; 11-29-2023 at 05:08 PM.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2023, 05:51 PM   #94
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Quote:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=351285
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2023, 09:48 AM   #95
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
The ban on detailed instructions is the MR's owner's wish, who doesn't want lawyers hounding him. So there's nothing to be done about that. It's not the personal whim of the moderators.

A Calibre update broke everything only once, AFAIK, and that was years ago. Recent updates haven't broken anything. Amazon updates, of course, can and do break things, and that's also something we can do nothing about. They do it on purpose. They don't want people to remove the DRM from their books.
It doesn’t matter which part of the stack breaks, but that SOMETHING always does. I’m not THAT afraid Amazon is going out of business or they will target me such that the danger of losing my books is THAT much of a concern. And while I prefer FBReader, I can certainly read with the kindle app.

I wish that after I took the time to learn and get it working, that it would just continue to work. But in MY experience, it doesn’t.

I also can acquire a DRM liberated book “somewhere else” if needed. Which, as someone who bought the book, doesn’t bother me to do.

I can’t attest to anybody else’s experience. But for me who has made a living in IT for 40 years….even I do not find Calibre, DeDRM to be easy to keep up with. And every time I say so, I get the “well, for me it always works”.

Well…happy for those folks. It’s not been my experience.
Advert
Old 12-01-2023, 10:28 AM   #96
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
I also can acquire a DRM liberated book “somewhere else” if needed. Which, as someone who bought the book, doesn’t bother me to do.
Moderator Notice
It may not bother you to do so, but it's still against MR rules to announce your intentions to make use of pirated books -- however you choose to word it. So please (everyone) stop saying things like this HERE!

We don't WANT to have to take action against the advocation of piracy, so stop using euphemisms like "acquire" and "from somewhere else" to "get your message across."

It benefits no one on MR when people to try to dance around the no advocacy rules, so stop oversharing. Keep your private practices private.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2023, 07:23 AM   #97
leebase
Karma Kameleon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
It may not bother you to do so, but it's still against MR rules to announce your intentions to make use of pirated books -- however you choose to word it. So please (everyone) stop saying things like this HERE!

We don't WANT to have to take action against the advocation of piracy, so stop using euphemisms like "acquire" and "from somewhere else" to "get your message across."

It benefits no one on MR when people to try to dance around the no advocacy rules, so stop oversharing. Keep your private practices private.
I will abide by the judgment of the moderator.

I take exception to the description that I advocated piracy - I am against piracy.

But, I will drop it and abide.
Old 12-15-2023, 04:35 AM   #98
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
It doesn’t matter which part of the stack breaks, but that SOMETHING always does. I’m not THAT afraid Amazon is going out of business or they will target me such that the danger of losing my books is THAT much of a concern. And while I prefer FBReader, I can certainly read with the kindle app.

I wish that after I took the time to learn and get it working, that it would just continue to work. But in MY experience, it doesn’t.

I can’t attest to anybody else’s experience. But for me who has made a living in IT for 40 years….even I do not find Calibre, DeDRM to be easy to keep up with. And every time I say so, I get the “well, for me it always works”.

Well…happy for those folks. It’s not been my experience.
Think of pBooks and eBooks as an LP and a CD. You buy the LP, you can play it and record it to your computer and make a CD from it. If you'd rather, you can buy the CD. But you are not entitled to the CD. Same goes if you buy the pBook, you can convert that to an eBook or you can buy the eBook. But you are not allowed to download the eBook or the CD.

The only places you are allowed to acquire the eBook is from a bookstore, library, publisher site, author site, etc. If the eBook is public domain, then you can try to find it at sites such as Project Gutenberg.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote