Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 02-10-2022, 04:10 PM   #76
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Probably you have close to 0.3% of everyone that ever lived.
I'll just assume it is the very best 0.3%
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 04:15 PM   #77
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kandwo View Post
A book I just could not read is War and Peace... If I ever find a version where all the french parts are translated within the text itself (maybe in italics or something), I will definitely give it a go.
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I highly recommend the Ann Dunnigan translation. In effect she signals that a passage was originally in French by starting off with a word or two and then shifting to English. And aside from that, it’s a very smooth, readable version.
The Signet Classics version of the Ann Dunnigan translation of War and Peace is $1.99. Worth picking up.
Advert
Old 02-12-2022, 03:05 AM   #78
Lyndl
Lyndl can extract oil from cheeseLyndl can extract oil from cheeseLyndl can extract oil from cheeseLyndl can extract oil from cheeseLyndl can extract oil from cheeseLyndl can extract oil from cheeseLyndl can extract oil from cheeseLyndl can extract oil from cheeseLyndl can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 2i, iPad, iPod Touch, Kindle Touch, Kindle Paperwhite
My top (bottom? ) three

One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich - Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Heart of Darkness - Joseph Conrad
Moby Dick - Herman Melville

I finished the first, but never made it to the end of the other two
Lyndl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2022, 04:34 AM   #79
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I don’t see how this fits the “lying poseur” element.
Because saying you like books with too much racism seems like a lie.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2022, 04:35 AM   #80
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Another book to add to the list is Mein Kempf.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-12-2022, 11:35 AM   #81
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
Does anyone claim to like that?
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2022, 11:42 AM   #82
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Another book to add to the list is Mein Kempf.
Knock it off.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 01:39 AM   #83
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndl View Post
My top (bottom? ) three

One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich - Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Heart of Darkness - Joseph Conrad
Moby Dick - Herman Melville

I finished the first, but never made it to the end of the other two
I read Heart of Darkness, but I know that's one I would have been better off reading in a discussion group.
Old 02-13-2022, 11:49 AM   #84
curtw
Outside of a dog
curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I'm going to have to go with Life of Pi, for the crime of abusing the unreliable narrator trope beyond the limits of human endurance.

(By the way, apropos of other books mentioned here, it's always been my position that The Road is nothing more than a post-modern retelling of The Old Man and the Sea.)

As far as "the Classics" go, anyone who claims they actually enjoyed Last of the Mohicans is the ultimate poseur.

Last edited by curtw; 02-13-2022 at 11:53 AM.
curtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 12:48 PM   #85
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtw View Post
As far as "the Classics" go, anyone who claims they actually enjoyed Last of the Mohicans is the ultimate poseur.
Oddly I've not read that, but his "The Pilot" is a quite good adventure yarn on the English Coast. The real guy story is based on was from Scotland, joined USA Navy, captured a British ship in Belfast Lough at anchor near Carrickfergus (Belfast was tiny then so it was Carrickfergus Lough then) and later he was in the Russian Imperial Navy. British regarded him as a Pirate.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 06:12 PM   #86
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamaman View Post
I never really _got_ the fuss about Hemingway. I'm going to try The Sun also Rises. I like the subject--the lost (i.e. dissipated?) American generation in Paris in the 20s. I skimmed it so far. The prose is simple and effective, but special? Nope. What looked interesting were the dissipated and bohemian character getting sloshed.
Same! I was hyped to try The Sun Also Rises but his writing style and the characters flattened my enjoyment.

As to Steinbeck, I want to read the rest of his. I loved Of Mice and Men and Grapes of Wrath, but meh on The Pearl

A classic I detest for every reason possible and genuinely don't get the appeal or lasting effect was a newer classic, Where the Red Fern grows *shudders*

I'm usually pickier with melodramatic Victorian prose and found Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde disappointing, but I was surprised that I absolutely loved Frankenstein, and many seem to feel the opposite. Dracula has some boring parts but I loved the first and last quarter. It was fun re-reading it on audiobook production.

Oh, and the Thornbirds! I hated that book and am surprised so many list it as a favorite.

Last edited by Paperbackstash; 02-13-2022 at 06:21 PM.
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 09:31 PM   #87
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paperbackstash View Post
Oh, and the Thornbirds! I hated that book and am surprised so many list it as a favorite.
Huh, I enjoyed The Thornbirds.
Old 02-14-2022, 09:49 AM   #88
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Huh, I enjoyed The Thornbirds.
I don’t think The Thorn Birds qualifies in this category; it’s long, but it’s not difficult nor especially boring, unless sweeping family sagas aren’t your thing. They’re not mine, but TB doesn’t seem worse or duller than most; the contrary, in fact.

A factoid that amuses me is that The Thorn Birds and Love Story were written within a few years of each other in New Haven, Conn. while their respective authors were employed at Yale. Was it something in the water?
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 11:03 AM   #89
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
I read The Thorn Birds many years ago. I don't remember being fond of it but also don't recall it being difficult to read in the way that some of the other books discussed here would be.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 07:08 PM   #90
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
Guess it's just me with The Thorn Birds, but I found it dull throughout, flat, and a difficult read. Hated the writing.
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote