Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 06-02-2011, 05:36 PM   #76
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
Found a store with demo units on display. 33 miles away. I could just wait until tomorrow to satisfy my curiosity at my local store. What other reason could there be for making the trip?
Is there a Teavana near by? You could combine the two shopping trips.

I think I am projecting here...
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 05:39 PM   #77
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
BTW, if your local B&N still doesn't have them tomorrow you might call the store at the Parks Mall in Arlington. You said you were in southern Dallas and that B&N is just off I-20 in Arlington.
That's the store I was referring to in an earlier post...clueless about the NOOK Touch...after placing me on hold. :-) I'm sure my local store will have them up and running. Was told they'll be put out tonight ready to go when they open.

But, yeah, traffic. I was thinking of venturing out after 7. It's off the Dallas North Tollway. Then again, traffic is flowing in the opposite direction of my travels.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-02-2011, 05:44 PM   #78
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
Is there a Teavana near by? You could combine the two shopping trips.

I think I am projecting here...
Funny you mention this! There is one conveniently located in the area.
Old 06-02-2011, 05:45 PM   #79
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Quote:
Funny you mention this! There is one conveniently located in the area.
Just trying to be helpful. Get the Keemun if you go there. It is a wonderfully different and yummy black Chinese tea. Great stuff.

and lets face it, we all know that you are going. The Nook Touch is calling you.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 05:54 PM   #80
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
and lets face it, we all know that you are going. The Nook Touch is calling you.
There are some nice sports bars in that area. Think I'll catch game 2 of the NBA Finals at one of them. I often find the side commentary quite amusing at such places.
Advert
Old 06-02-2011, 06:48 PM   #81
MsCG1
Zealot
MsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Device: Nook Classic, NookColor, HTC Rezound, Sony PRS-505, ICS Touchpad
RAGE. There were no new Nooks. Not even that, but they had NO SIGNS OR PICTURES up indicating that it's coming! I told the sales lady that BN had a press released stating that it would be available for demo in stores today, and that some people are already having their preorders delivered, and she had the nerve to look at me with doubt, as if I didn't know what the heck I was talking about.

*hmph* She was new, and didn't recognize me as the Nook crazed black lady who spends a ton of money in the store weekly on vanilla cupcakes and coffee, so I let it pass.

June 10 is when they'll get demo units delivered to the store.

So inconsistent.
MsCG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 06:56 PM   #82
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
That's the store I was referring to in an earlier post...clueless about the NOOK Touch...after placing me on hold. :-) I'm sure my local store will have them up and running. Was told they'll be put out tonight ready to go when they open.

But, yeah, traffic. I was thinking of venturing out after 7. It's off the Dallas North Tollway. Then again, traffic is flowing in the opposite direction of my travels.
Hohohoho... I went to the one here at 1960 and they had two on display ...

I do not want to "hijack" the main thread, so will open a new one with my quick and short impressions...
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 06:56 PM   #83
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsCG1 View Post
*hmph* She was new, and didn't recognize me as the Nook crazed black lady who spends a ton of money in the store weekly on vanilla cupcakes and coffee, so I let it pass....
STOP IT!!! *eyes watering*
Old 06-02-2011, 07:00 PM   #84
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
Hohohoho... I went to the one here at 1960 and they had two on display ...

I do not want to "hijack" the main thread, so will open a new one with my quick and short impressions...
You know some folks are bracing for your harsh review of all things NOOK.
Old 06-02-2011, 07:01 PM   #85
MsCG1
Zealot
MsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Device: Nook Classic, NookColor, HTC Rezound, Sony PRS-505, ICS Touchpad
You guys are bad influences. Now I'm calling every store within a 30 mile radius trying to see if they have it in stock. On hold with one about 16 miles away right now. Maybe I can get there before rush hour traffic starts.

I'm sure my husband won't mind my being late for our anniversary dinner ...
MsCG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 09:31 PM   #86
anabolina
Groupie
anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current: tablet, kindle paperwhite, onyx boox t68. Past: Sony, nook
Quote:

Hey I'm going to check out the demo unit at a bn off Belt Line and the Tollway during my lunch break tomorrow. I wonder if it's the one you were planning on heading to Scion? When I called, they said they weren't allowed to put the demo unit out before Friday. Still, the Lewisville one near Vista Ridge mall says they have their demo unit set up. Unfortunately, I went out for dinner tonight with my brother with the intent on stopping in after dinner, but the restaurant's servicen was absurdly slow and my brother had to be at work at 8 so that was a no go and I can't justify the gas (even though it's maybe 10 minutes away) if I'm not already out and about. :-( Still I can't wait to see the demo unit tomorrow. :-)
anabolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 09:43 PM   #87
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
Originally Posted by anabolina View Post
Hey I'm going to check out the demo unit at a bn off Belt Line and the Tollway during my lunch break tomorrow. I wonder if it's the one you were planning on heading to Scion? When I called, they said they weren't allowed to put the demo unit out before Friday. Still, the Lewisville one near Vista Ridge mall says they have their demo unit set up. Unfortunately, I went out for dinner tonight with my brother with the intent on stopping in after dinner, but the restaurant's servicen was absurdly slow and my brother had to be at work at 8 so that was a no go and I can't justify the gas (even though it's maybe 10 minutes away) if I'm not already out and about. :-( Still I can't wait to see the demo unit tomorrow. :-)
Hey! It's the location on Royal Lane. They confirmed they are on display. I know what you mean when it comes to deciding whether or not to go somewhere when gas is a factor. The expense of an unnecessary trip could have been applied to a new cover! I was just being an eager beaver. Tomorrow will be here soon enough. Maybe I'll get lucky at my local store; view the demo and go home with one.
Old 06-03-2011, 01:15 AM   #88
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:

Yep, they were not up to date on the NC either. Bought my NC at BB but went to this B&N to get a cover. I actually showed the two women working the NC display several features they were unaware of. But then again these types of retail stores are infamous for not providing adequate training to the staff, and if they manage to get a good staffer she usually takes another job at another store. I think they have a high turn over rate.

I hope you find one tomorrow. I'm sticking with my Sony 350 for now as it has become to hot here to read outside during the daytime. I currently only venture outside to read late at night and then I use my iPod touch. I figure the heat will have subsided a bit in October and i'll look at any new offerings by Sony and Amazon then. i've lived in Texas all my life but I swear i'm becoming less tolerant to the heat the older I get. Colorado sounds pretty good this time of year!
Old 06-03-2011, 04:19 AM   #89
djulian
Evangelist
djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Just played with one of these at the B&N in Tempe, AZ (at the Tempe Marketplace).

Thoughts:
  1. I actually love the touch experience, even the page turns. I thought I would not like this, but the IR touch setup is smooth and easy to use. I'm very surprised and happy with this feature. Honestly, this took me by surprise.
  2. I do not like the physical page turn buttons. They seem awkward (to me) and less responsive than those on the original Nook or the K3. They feel like they've been buried and you have to hit them hard to get a response.
  3. I miss the web browser. I know others disagree with this, but I download free classics on MobileRead and Manybooks pretty often, and I miss this feature. It basically means that I need another PC in order to get and transfer these free books.
  4. I also miss the 3G. I don't have a smartphone and I don't intend to ever get one--I had an iPod touch and spent a half a day playing Angry Birds and I decided I want gadgets that serve me rather than control me. That's my own issue, I understand, but it made the 3G web browsing on an ereader a treat--anywhere I go, I can get my e-mail, access my facebook, check my twitter feed, review my task list, get maps, and get back to life. No games, no videos, no time sinks. (This is a little off-topic, but I also wish B&N would have offered the same international 3G that comes with the K3.)
  5. The screen is very nice, very crisp, and the page turns are beautiful. Even swiping the page turns is beautiful.
  6. I'm not a fan of the size/shape. I like the look & feel of the portrait "shape." Maybe it has something to do with the golden rectangle, for you math nerds/wizards/people-who-make-me-jealous.

CONCLUSION: I have enough B&N books that I might buy one even though I've got a K3. It's a very good ereader, and I don't think I would regret the purchase at its current price. I already have the 3G that I wanted in my K3, but I also have about 160 B&N ePub classics that would fit nicely on that little screen.
djulian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 06:44 AM   #90
Felix516
Felix516 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Has anyone been able to load a pdf (or lucky enough to find an in-store version with a pdf on it)? If so how does its pdf support compare to the new kobo? Does it support page panning? I think it would be a useful feature for reading comics on a smaller device, and the ominous lack of a thorough pdf demonstration is pretty much the only thing holding me back from ordering one at this point.
Felix516 is offline   Reply With Quote