Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 09-24-2010, 12:41 PM   #61
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
To me, library books are enough to distinguish the Nook from the Kindle.

As to my other requirements, I realize I can achieve them with add-ons, but they cost money: Nook ($149) + additional battery ($30) + black skin ($20) + additional 2GB storage ($5) = $204. K3 already has these features built-in and it's only $139. That's why I'm hoping N2 adds them.

well a few of the things mentioned in your list are a positve purchase. buying an extra battery is optional and does not have to be done at the time of purchase and certainly wouldn't recommend it within the first year since it is already under warranty and if you have a bad one it will be replaced for free.

But certainly to have that option available to you in future is a HUGE postive over the Kindle. Eventually these batteries do lose their ability to hold a charge and if you don't want a new Kindle (essentially making your old one a disposable device) or don't have the money for a brand new one, you have to mail it back in. That is very very annoying.

Black skin! well most people also buy a cover for their Kindle as well so that is sort of a wash.

Additional storage is another great positive purchase and the price of a basic 2g card is fairly insignifigant. m But again it's also optional and by no means has to be done at point of purchase.

Last edited by boswd; 09-24-2010 at 12:43 PM.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 12:50 PM   #62
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by detayls View Post
I didn't say the Kindle was/is the second coming.

If you read the post again, all I said was that it is made for much less which gives Amazon more wiggle room on pricing.

In actual fact I said that Nook had two big advantages and made no mention of any superiority in use for Kindle.

People see words on the page that are not really there. The Kindle is cheaper to produce and that is all there is to it. Nook needs to follow this trend or fail.
Ok I see what you are saying and I apologize for the snarky comment. but having said that, I do disagree 100% with your point though. I don't think you have to strip down the Nook and make it look, feel and smell like a Kindle.

The LCD screen, though I do understand it's not for everyone, it is still a HUGE selling point for the ones who do buy it. I am one of them

I mentioned this is the past and its no exaggeration. When my buddy at work, the kindle owner, and myself are at lunch and we have our ereaders out. Easily over 80% of our co-workers are more impressed with the Nook. Seeing the BN library's book cover flow and the home page icons are the biggest "Wow that is really really cool, I like that, and you get eink, it's like the best of both worlds".
The styling is alos much more commented on. The Nook does really have that look like it was designed by "Apple". I'm seriously telling you that most people are more impressed, when they are properly demo'd for them. with the nook than they are with the kindle. Add in the epub/library lending and showing them the page turning swipe feature and it really makes my buddy just want to crawl into a hole. LOL I not kidding. And basically the biggerst reason is the LCD screen.

So to ditch that and make themselves just another cookie cutter ebook reader I think would a HUGE mistake.

Barnes and Noble does a great job packaging the Nook, from it's look and feel , from it's Logo, to it's box to its UBS cord to the BN website, everything screams high end.
They also do a great job with in store Guerilla marketing with the Nook posters, banners and Nook Stands. There after market accesories are arguable THE BEST in terms of style etc. out there for any ereader a But they are light years behind Amazon in terms of advertising to the Masses. Light years. Kindle starte out with that catchy stylish "Fly me away" commerical to the beach commercial to the now direct attack albeit funny on the iPad. Add on to the fact that the Kindle appears on Amazon's homepage, which see's the most shopping traffic in the world. Even if you are going on just to buy a blu ray or even an hdmi cord you smacked in the face with Kindle ads.

Not everyone goes into BN and not everyon logs onto their website. This is the number one reason the kindle is outselling all other ebook readers.
I do truely believe in this day an age of where we are with techn. that if the Nook ran a more mass appeal commericials, the majority of people out there would be more inclined to buy a product that has the more modern tech. The Kindle really is behind in that catogory. This is the 3rd crack at it and the best they've done was clean it up.

Oh well

Last edited by boswd; 09-24-2010 at 01:01 PM.
Advert
Old 09-24-2010, 01:45 PM   #63
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
well a few of the things mentioned in your list are a positve purchase. buying an extra battery is optional and does not have to be done at the time of purchase and certainly wouldn't recommend it within the first year since it is already under warranty and if you have a bad one it will be replaced for free.

But certainly to have that option available to you in future is a HUGE postive over the Kindle. Eventually these batteries do lose their ability to hold a charge and if you don't want a new Kindle (essentially making your old one a disposable device) or don't have the money for a brand new one, you have to mail it back in. That is very very annoying.

Black skin! well most people also buy a cover for their Kindle as well so that is sort of a wash.

Additional storage is another great positive purchase and the price of a basic 2g card is fairly insignifigant. m But again it's also optional and by no means has to be done at point of purchase.
These optionals have to be done at point of purchase. The extra battery is to increase reading time in remote locations without power; it has nothing to do with the battery dying. The black skin is a must have because I can't read with a white bezel. It's too much of a distraction and bothers my eyes.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 01:51 PM   #64
boswd
Banned

Why does the extra battery have to be made at the point of purchase? Why not just wait until you ready to go on this remote location
Old 09-24-2010, 01:54 PM   #65
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
...I do disagree 100% with your point though. I don't think you have to strip down the Nook and make it look, feel and smell like a Kindle.
People buy into content, not the device. Even if the Nook looked like the Kindle, it would still be different because of the content. EPUB and library books are big selling points for the Nook. Pick a store and then the device.
Advert
Old 09-24-2010, 01:59 PM   #66
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Why does the extra battery have to be made at the point of purchase? Why not just wait until you ready to go on this remote location
Either way, the battery will still increase the price of the Nook by $30. It's not an optional purchase, it's a must have purchase.
Old 09-24-2010, 02:27 PM   #67
boswd
Banned

Quote:
Either way, the battery will still increase the price of the Nook by $30. It's not an optional purchase, it's a must have purchase.
sure it's optional, if you aren't forced to buy an extra battery then it's optional.

I don't own an extra battery but I sure do like the fact that if my battery either goes bad or needs replacing I can have one in about 15 mins. Well make that 2 hrs if I go to best buy All the pretty TV's and gadget Oh MY
Old 09-24-2010, 03:59 PM   #68
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Quote:
It may not be an option to you. To others, it is. I think even the most vocal critic of the Nook's battery life says that it can generally go through several days of reading before needing a recharge. Now it might have issues with real reading marathons (i.e., where you read for 15 hours a day), but for most people, it has enough legs for daily use. I would like to see more battery life myself, but I lived for two years with a Jetbook with similar battery life and didn't find it awful.

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 04:28 PM   #69
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_mchale View Post
It may not be an option to you. To others, it is.
I'm only arguing for myself. What others do is not my concern.
Old 09-24-2010, 05:04 PM   #70
boswd
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_mchale View Post
It may not be an option to you. To others, it is. I think even the most vocal critic of the Nook's battery life says that it can generally go through several days of reading before needing a recharge. Now it might have issues with real reading marathons (i.e., where you read for 15 hours a day), but for most people, it has enough legs for daily use. I would like to see more battery life myself, but I lived for two years with a Jetbook with similar battery life and didn't find it awful.

--
Bill
and the one thing I think people forget as well is you can still read on the Nook while it's charging either with a computer or an outlet. Also it's not a proprietory usb either. It's a mini to standard USB. So if you want an extra long cord you can acutally get one.

I'm thinking of going to monoprice.com and getting a very long one. But I have an outlet right next to my chair in my den and next to my side of the bed, So If It needs charging but don't want to stop I have that option as well.
Old 09-24-2010, 05:05 PM   #71
boswd
Banned

Quote:
I'm only arguing for myself. What others do is not my concern.
LOL I'm not understanding. Are you saying the second you buy an ereader you are off to the depths of the Amazon so waiting for an actual situation like that it to actually occur to buy the extra battery is not an option?
Old 09-24-2010, 06:46 PM   #72
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
LOL I'm not understanding. Are you saying the second you buy an ereader you are off to the depths of the Amazon so waiting for an actual situation like that it to actually occur to buy the extra battery is not an option?
Not immediately, but in a few months and a few months after that, etc.
Old 09-24-2010, 07:11 PM   #73
detayls
Addict
detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Ok I see what you are saying and I apologize for the snarky comment. but having said that, I do disagree 100% with your point though. I don't think you have to strip down the Nook and make it look, feel and smell like a Kindle.

The LCD screen, though I do understand it's not for everyone, it is still a HUGE selling point for the ones who do buy it. I am one of them

I mentioned this is the past and its no exaggeration. When my buddy at work, the kindle owner, and myself are at lunch and we have our ereaders out. Easily over 80% of our co-workers are more impressed with the Nook. Seeing the BN library's book cover flow and the home page icons are the biggest "Wow that is really really cool, I like that, and you get eink, it's like the best of both worlds".

Oh well
So your argument is that the Nook is "cool". No mention of the actual reading experience.

Tell me. Have you swapped readers and actually tried the Kindle 3? I think if you did actually read a book with the Kindle you would appreciate it more.

detayls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 08:44 PM   #74
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Also it's not a proprietory usb either. It's a mini to standard USB. So if you want an extra long cord you can acutally get one.
Actually, it's Micro-B.
Old 09-24-2010, 09:42 PM   #75
eGeezer
NE1 seen my glasses?
eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Nook Glowlight (following previous nook STR and STR w/GL)
Quote:
Originally Posted by detayls View Post
So your argument is that the Nook is "cool". No mention of the actual reading experience.

Tell me. Have you swapped readers and actually tried the Kindle 3? I think if you did actually read a book with the Kindle you would appreciate it more.

So your argument is that because someone happens to react to the nook by saying it is "really really cool", even tho' in the same sentence, the person also said "and it has eInk, too -- its like the best of both worlds", then the only thing the nook has going for it is that it is cool? hee hee. I find that pretty humorous.

I read the same observation and understood that the person was saying that the eInk reading experience is a given, and that the nook's added features (like the LCD screen and "swipe" page-turning) make it cool. Also, apparently the casual observer didn't see a significant difference between the K3 Pearl screen and the nook screen -- which is pretty much what I have been reading throughout the nook threads.

But. That's just me, and I don't even own a nook, or Kindle.
eGeezer is offline   Reply With Quote