Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-27-2022, 08:04 AM   #61
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacepope View Post
I signed up for Stark Library after reading this reddit thread, and I got a card within a few days! They were really kind and it has a LOT of titles my local library does not. It's only $30... if I read 4 books on it it'll be worth it! Which I most definitely will.

Wow, that’s a great find.

I have nine months to go at Brooklyn and that’s sufficient for my needs. However, for $30 I think I’m sold. Ideally I’d like to future proof my library borrowing by more than three months, but I’m also a little fearful that the out-of-state cards will disappear. I think it’s mostly costs but there’s also the element of pressure from publishers and the issue of digital rights. How long can I play chicken on this?
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2022, 08:29 AM   #62
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renate View Post
Too bad this forum doesn't support tables in BB code:
Here is a pasteup from another forum:
Which forum?
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-27-2022, 09:06 AM   #63
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Which forum?
No, I mean that I first formatted it as a table for here and saw that it didn't understand the BB code.
So I went to another of my forums (that has nothing to do with books) pasted the text as a reply, hit preview, screen captured that, then aborted the reply.
Renate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2022, 09:16 AM   #64
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renate View Post
No, I mean that I first formatted it as a table for here and saw that it didn't understand the BB code.
So I went to another of my forums (that has nothing to do with books) pasted the text as a reply, hit preview, screen captured that, then aborted the reply.
Gotcha, and thanks
Old 07-27-2022, 11:56 AM   #65
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacepope View Post
I signed up for Stark Library after reading this reddit thread, and I got a card within a few days! They were really kind and it has a LOT of titles my local library does not. It's only $30... if I read 4 books on it it'll be worth it! Which I most definitely will.

My local library has 35K ebooks and 15K audiobooks. My state library has 28K ebooks and 14K audiobooks. Both are rather good collections, and I can't complain too much. But I love SFF and both my local and state libraries are lacking in that regard. Stark Library seems to help solve this problem
Does the Stark library have Overdrive? I did a google and couldn't find a link, and the Stark site only mentions libby.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-27-2022, 12:06 PM   #66
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Does the Stark library have Overdrive? I did a google and couldn't find a link, and the Stark site only mentions libby.
Yeah, I bobbled on that, too; I even changed the url from .org to .overdrive.com which works with my other libraries, but no joy. However, it seems that the Stark library accesses the Ohio Digital Library:

https://ohdbks.overdrive.com/
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2022, 12:10 PM   #67
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
It does appear to. Most of their audio book links show an Overdrive option. It appears to use this link:

https://ohdbks.overdrive.com

I'm inferring this from what I, as a non-card holder see on the site.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2022, 12:43 PM   #68
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Another thing I'll do. If I want a book that's not yet released, I'll recommend it at a number of libraries so hopefully, this book will be bought and i'll not be too high on the wait list at least at one library.
Ditto. I do this often to ensure a good hold position if the book is purchased.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2022, 03:40 PM   #69
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
Ditto. I do this often to ensure a good hold position if the book is purchased.
And even if the eBook is purchased and show one copy as coming soon, I'll still put a hold on it if I can. I find that sometimes more copies will be purchased when the eBook is released.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2022, 04:41 PM   #70
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
And even if the eBook is purchased and show one copy as coming soon, I'll still put a hold on it if I can. I find that sometimes more copies will be purchased when the eBook is released.
Which is the nice thing about OCLS and Brooklyn (and I think Metro), I believe they try to keep the relative hold queue length at ~5. Whereas my "home" library, which serves about 1/2 the state, just buys a couple of copies regardless of the number of people waiting.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2022, 05:47 PM   #71
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
I found a couple more libraries.

St Louis City Library 50,000 titles. You must become "friend of the library" and they give you a card for a $40 donation annually. Online application.
https://www.slpl.org/slpl-foundation/become-a-friend/

Toledo Ohio 88,000 titles for $75. Need to call 419-259-5200 and they set you up. I spoke to them and it's no problem.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2022, 05:58 PM   #72
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

At this rate I could become a book wh... I mean promiscuous.
Since they are all OverDrive maybe we need an app to scrape/search them all?
Right now, I have 4 (legitimate) OverDrive accounts.
It's a bit tedious to synchronize them all.
Old 07-27-2022, 06:03 PM   #73
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Miami-Dade County $65 for 51,000 titles. Apply by email customercare@mdpls.org
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2022, 06:14 PM   #74
Renate
Wizard

Ok, folks. We have to get serious.
That means a real database of out-of-state potential.
That means:
1) application email/website/whatever
2) main library website
3) OverDrive website
4) Statistics (which could be updated automatically?)
We need an automated process to find out which library has which volume available.
Automated holds/wish list/recommended would be an advanced option.

Hmm...
https://developer.overdrive.com/discovery-apis

Last edited by Renate; 07-27-2022 at 06:28 PM.
Old 07-27-2022, 06:31 PM   #75
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

We've only scratched the surface on libraries offering non-resident library cards. With over 9,000 public libraries in the US, who wants to visit each website and see which ones do?