Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 06-10-2021, 02:12 PM   #61
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by drofgnal View Post
I'd suggest the OP browse through these lists:

http://bestfantasybooks.com/best-epic-fantasy.html
That list won't do unless you know enough about all the different series.I can say for sure that there are some on the list that are not appropriate.

No list will do. We have to give recommendations based on what we've read.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 02:14 PM   #62
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calenorn View Post
I wonder if any Stephen Lawhead books would serve.
If you've read any of his books and they fit what the OP is asking for then by all means suggest. But you cannot suggest an author out of hand if you've not read all of said author's books and know that they all fit what the OP is looking for.
Advert
Old 06-10-2021, 02:15 PM   #63
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler
Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NST, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
That list won't do unless you know enough about all the different series.I can say for sure that there are some on the list that are not appropriate.

It's time for you to stop telling people what to do.
Calenorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 02:16 PM   #64
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by drofgnal View Post
And of course one of my favorites Watership Down is as clean as well.
I can second Watership Down. It was a rather good read.
Old 06-10-2021, 03:02 PM   #65
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
I disagree.

It is long past time for him to stop telling people what to do.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-10-2021, 03:24 PM   #66
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
The OP has specific requirements. Can you be sure that your list meets those requirements?
Old 06-10-2021, 04:07 PM   #67
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler
Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
The OP has specific requirements. Can you be sure that your list meets those requirements?
No. I cannot.

What's it to you? Are you the board police?
Old 06-10-2021, 04:30 PM   #68
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro/Kindle Oasis 3/iPhone 13 Pro Max
Quote:

I know there are many on the list that are not appropriate for the OPs requirements, but there are some that are, like the Chonicles of Pyrdain, which fits his requirements pefectly. Watership down is also on the list and The Elizabeth Moon series he said he had read is also on that list. He'll have to read the descriptions, maybe check reader reviews on Goodreads, but it's one of the the best all encompassing list of fantasy out there. It has categories for series as well as stand alone books. It's a good start
drofgnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 04:34 PM   #69
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler

And we should let the OP decide for themselves which recommendations to look into.

There's no need for posters to try to censor other posters.

No need. Also, no authority.
Old 06-10-2021, 04:52 PM   #70
Pilgrim86
Pilgrim86 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pilgrim86 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pilgrim86 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pilgrim86 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pilgrim86 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pilgrim86 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pilgrim86 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pilgrim86 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pilgrim86 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pilgrim86 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pilgrim86 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
I wonder if any Stephen Lawhead books would serve.
Tried the Song of Albion series. Got into first book and magic stuff had me put it down.
Pilgrim86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 04:53 PM   #71
Pilgrim86
Pilgrim86 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pilgrim86 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pilgrim86 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pilgrim86 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pilgrim86 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pilgrim86 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pilgrim86 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pilgrim86 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pilgrim86 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pilgrim86 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pilgrim86 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:

Yep, my thoughts as well. Thanks
Pilgrim86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 05:29 PM   #72
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro/Kindle Oasis 3/iPhone 13 Pro Max
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilgrim86 View Post
Yep, my thoughts as well. Thanks
There are some very appropriate ones on those lists. The lists and a bit of goodreads research may yield what you want
drofgnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 06:01 PM   #73
McGonigle
Connoisseur
McGonigle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.McGonigle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.McGonigle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.McGonigle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.McGonigle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.McGonigle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.McGonigle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.McGonigle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.McGonigle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.McGonigle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.McGonigle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, iPad 2018,
Quote:
You have to pick specific books or series. Not all books from the authors you've mentioned may fit what the OP wants.
Respectfully, I happen to think any book by said authors would fit. But I am not OP so the ultimate decision must rest with OP.
McGonigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 06:39 PM   #74
McGonigle
Connoisseur
McGonigle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.McGonigle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.McGonigle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.McGonigle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.McGonigle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.McGonigle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.McGonigle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.McGonigle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.McGonigle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.McGonigle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.McGonigle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, iPad 2018,
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post

McGonigle mentioned Arthur C. Clarke, and you were right question that. For example Cradle, cowritten with Gentry Lee, includes some of the most explicit sex scenes I've seen in any book carrying Clarke's name. On the other hand, I don't remember any sex in The Trigger by Arthur C. Clarke and Michael Kube-McDowell; it's been years since I read it, but the premise was based in science, so it probably fits the OP quite well and it was an excellent story.
My bad. I completely forgot about Cradle. In retrospect; Classic Clarke would be my recommendation. I didn’t quite take to anything involving or by Gentry Lee.
McGonigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 12:32 AM   #75
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGonigle View Post
My bad. I completely forgot about Cradle. In retrospect; Classic Clarke would be my recommendation. I didn’t quite take to anything involving or by Gentry Lee.
I'm in complete agreement concerning Gentry Lee. And I agree that most of Clarke's older work should be a fairly safe bet.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote