Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 07-11-2022, 09:10 PM   #61
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by nephtys59 View Post
Calibre 6 portable on Windows 10 x64 - one small bug in Calibre editor, TOC editing, if you need to modify one entry the page preview is completely without images and formatting (it didn't happen with 5.44). Hope it can be fixed. Thanks.
Yes indeed, I will look into that.
https://github.com/kovidgoyal/calibr...60fc0c52659970

Last edited by kovidgoyal; 07-11-2022 at 10:47 PM.
Old 07-11-2022, 09:14 PM   #62
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I have a feeling that's more about their paid support not being available (as well as their own binary distributions and development CI) than saying "it won't work. Period." In fact, further down the page there's there's this:
I actually didnt expect windows 8 to fail, but in testing, people trying to run calibre reported Qt's windowing backend fails to create windows on Windows 8. Given that 8.1 is EOL in a few months I really didnt have the time/interest to try to debug why that is. See the report in the calibre beta 6 thread.
Advert
Old 07-11-2022, 09:22 PM   #63
merniegirl
merniegirl began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara
DeDRM worked fine for me when I went back to V5.4. I couldn't get it to work in V6 either and not having it is not as workable a solution for me as simply going back to v5.4
Old 07-11-2022, 09:24 PM   #64
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy52 View Post
I tried Calibre's new full text search. Is it possible, that Calibre has problems indexing PDF files? If I try to search my cookbooks, Calibre finds only a few books, whereas Finder shows much more.
Thy for any solution.

calibre uses the pdftotext utility from the poppler project to extract text from PDF files. If you have some PDF files that are not being indexed, opena bug report and attach one or two and I will see if anything can be done to coax pdftotext to do better.
Old 07-11-2022, 09:27 PM   #65
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

@slantybard: That's an issue with loading libcrypto on macOS. If the developer of FFF will post a code snippet for whatever code is causing it to load and fail I will iinvestigate if something can be done.

Incidentally this is likely the same issue that affects the noDRM plugin on macOS.
Advert
Old 07-11-2022, 09:30 PM   #66
David77
David77 began at the beginning.

Device: DRWs Kindle
Hi, I'm fairly new to Calibre. Thankyou Kovid for your great work in creating this. I've just upgraded to version 6. I use a Mac (OS Monterey 12.3). I'm not very tech savvy. Apologies if this is the wrong forum too.

I just tried to add several books from Adobe Digital Editions folder but cannot. Here is one error message.

calibre, version 6.0.0
ERROR: Cannot add books: Failed to add some books, click "Show details" for more information.

Worker process crashed while executing job
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "calibre/utils/ipc/pool.py", line 108, in recv
File "calibre/utils/ipc/__init__.py", line 24, in eintr_retry_call
File "multiprocessing/connection.py", line 221, in recv_bytes
File "multiprocessing/connection.py", line 419, in _recv_bytes
File "multiprocessing/connection.py", line 388, in _recv
EOFError

Before updating, I tried to instal deDRM (several times). I don't know if this succeeded as I could not see this App anywhere on Calibre. I then tried to convert an epub book to mobi for a book that would have had DRM and that seemed to work. Could it be that deDRM is preventing me adding books? If so, how would I remove deDRM? Thankyou
Old 07-11-2022, 09:33 PM   #67
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
I actually didnt expect windows 8 to fail, but in testing, people trying to run calibre reported Qt's windowing backend fails to create windows on Windows 8. Given that 8.1 is EOL in a few months I really didnt have the time/interest to try to debug why that is. See the report in the calibre beta 6 thread.
I should have known it was more than a "Qt said that Microsoft said" thing. This is exactly the kind of concrete issue I was looking for. Thanks!
Old 07-11-2022, 09:53 PM   #68
diego77
diego77 began at the beginning.

Device: kobo aura one
Calibre crash when I try to change the font. (Now .AppleSystemUIFont [11pt] looks too thin)
It happens when I click the button.
(OSX Monterey 12.4)
Thanks!!
Old 07-11-2022, 09:56 PM   #69
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Quote:
Originally Posted by diego77 View Post
Calibre crash when I try to change the font. (Now .AppleSystemUIFont [11pt] looks too thin)
It happens when I click the button.
(OSX Monterey 12.4)
Thanks!!
Doesnt crash for me, post the apple crash report.
Old 07-11-2022, 10:05 PM   #70
diego77

Quote:
Doesnt crash for me, post the apple crash report.
KG:
Report>>> report.rtf
Old 07-11-2022, 10:09 PM   #71
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

That's a crash inside Qt's QFontDatabase. Any unusual fonts on your system? Try validating your fonts as described here: https://www.howtogeek.com/405240/how...onts-on-a-mac/
Old 07-11-2022, 10:11 PM   #72
diego77

Quote:
That's a crash inside Qt's QFontDatabase. Any unusual fonts on your system? Try validating your fonts as described here: https://www.howtogeek.com/405240/how...onts-on-a-mac/
I'll do that!! Thanks!!!
Old 07-11-2022, 10:50 PM   #73
Rescue9
Rescue9 began at the beginning.

Device: MS Surface Pro 7
I'm able to use two-fingers to scroll the main list up and down, but single-finger events don't register at all in the main window. I can use single-finger touches to select icons from the menu, groups (Authors, Languages, etc.) from the left sidebar, and can double-tap the book image on the right sidebar for a summary. However, selecting any book in the main window is not possible without using a pen or mouse.

Device Specifics:
MS Surface Pro 7
Windows 11 Home version 21H2 (Latest patch 2022-06 KB5014668)
Calibre 6 (Upgraded from 5.44)
Old 07-11-2022, 10:58 PM   #74
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by merniegirl View Post
Had the same problem as sDs910 after v6 install on iMac running Big Sur Calibre couldn't access or install any books I has stored or purchased today after installing it yesterday. Kept getting this message: CorruptError: database disk image is malformed
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "calibre/gui2/device.py", line 87, in run
File "calibre/gui2/device.py", line 548, in _books
File "claibre/devices/kobo/driver.py", line 2008, in books
apsw.CorruptError: CorruptError: database disk image is malformed
Correction required rolling back my stored Calibre library to yesterday in Time Machine, a hard reset of Kobo Clara and dumping v6 for v5.4
Wow, that was bad timing. The corrupt database error has nothing to do with calibre. The database was already broken when calibre looked at it. If you update calibre again, it will be OK. If you want to be safe, connect the device without calibre running and take a copy of the database. This is in the ".kobo" directory and is named "KoboReader.sqlite". If you then run calibre and have a problem, you can restore the database before ejecting the device.

But, if you do have a problem, you should check the database copy to make sure it wasn't already corrupted.
Old 07-11-2022, 11:00 PM   #75
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

I looked briefly into the issues caused by the dedrm plugin on macOS. As best as I can tell the problem is it tries to load the system libcrypto instead of loading the one bundled with calibre. Apple doesnt allow loading of system libcrypto. Easily verified by doing:

Code:
calibre-debug -c "import ctypes; from ctypes.util import find_library; l = find_library('crypto'); print(l); ctypes.CDLL(l)"
/usr/lib/libcrypto.dylib
WARNING: /Applications/calibre.app/Contents/MacOS/calibre-debug is loading libcrypto in an unsafe way
zsh: abort      /Applications/calibre.app/Contents/MacOS/calibre-debug -c
Instead the correct way to load libcrypto on macOS is demonstrated by this snippet:

Code:
calibre-debug -c "import ctypes, sys, glob, os; l = glob.glob(os.path.join(sys.frameworks_dir, 'libcrypto*.dylib'))[0]; ctypes.CDLL(l)"
So the plugin should be changed to do something like this:

Code:
if hasattr(sys, 'frameworks_dir'):
  lib = glob.glob(os.path.join(sys.frameworks_dir, 'libcrypto*.dylib'))[0]
else:
  lib = find_library('crypto')
Pass this along to the developer of the plugin and hopefully they can release a fix.
Closed Thread